Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Honestly I'm hoping they Do NOT speak

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 9:34pm

Views: 396
Shortcut
Honestly I'm hoping they Do NOT speak [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they should maintain what consistency they can and since Shelob never spoke (in the films at least) they should just leave these spiders alone as well. I think they could communicate with each other, but in their own language if anything. I don't need subtitles or english speaking spiders, just let them be scary animals.... I like the idea of the animal type creatures being somewhat based on realistic creatures instead of making them fantastical and Narnia-esque.not that those creatures don't have their place and that Tolkien didn't write them that way, but Peter Jackson's movieverse and Tolkien's book world are sure to be two totally different worlds. I like what PJ did with LOTR in the way that the creatures we saw were based in something real, nit the typical fantasy creations.

That and I have always felt a creature that is more beastly, or animalistic is more scary and creepy than any of the fantasy stereotypical creatures, who talk and walk upright when they werent meant to.. Real animals don't understand english, they don't communicate, there is no rationalizing with them, they just do what they do, use their instincts. You have no clue about what they will do or how they will react.. Same could be said for the Wargs. Large real looking wolves, IMO, would be much more terrifying than one who talk or look like cartoony versions of real wolves. The wolves from the Grey at least looked real and believable in look, maybe not their actions but that's on the director to sell that aspect. The giant black wolf from Red Riding Hood actually looked pretty good as far as make believe wolves goes, or a not quite so exaggerated version of the wolf from 300. Those wolves at least look like animals, and not caricatures of animals like we got a brief glimpse of in the trailer.

as far as delving into Ungoliant they really should just leave all that alone. Not every being in middle earth needs a back story, or explanation of who they are or who their ancestors were. Besides like I said the film versions will certainly be different from the book versions. If Peter Jackson wants to maintain his view of middle earth, keeping it the same as he has said he wants to, he needs to keep middle earth based in realism. Just like he did with LOTR. Hopefully the wargs and spiders do communicate with each other, in their own languages without subtitles. And leave it at that.

Subject User Time
Why I think the Spiders WILL talk in the movies (possible spoilers) Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 5:26am
    I hope so {NT} Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 27 2012, 5:30am
    Interesting redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Sep 27 2012, 6:04am
        I hope they don't talk! Avnar Send a private message to Avnar Sep 27 2012, 6:36am
    I think it's a little unfair to accuse the movies of downplaying Shelob. Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 27 2012, 8:21am
    I hope they do talk DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 27 2012, 9:02am
        As I have said before... The Preciousss Send a private message to The Preciousss Sep 27 2012, 11:24am
            Really? Where'd you hear that? Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 11:30am
                Yeah you got that right The Preciousss Send a private message to The Preciousss Sep 27 2012, 12:40pm
                    Shelob's mates Ffnir Send a private message to Ffnir Sep 27 2012, 2:49pm
        Well, Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 11:27am
            But in the film universe DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 27 2012, 1:29pm
    Why I Think the Spiders WON'T talk in the movies Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Sep 27 2012, 11:28am
        Yeah, but the difference is: Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 11:52am
            Demonic isn't the same as human Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Sep 27 2012, 12:50pm
                Well The Preciousss Send a private message to The Preciousss Sep 27 2012, 1:15pm
                    Where do you get those ideas? Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 7:56pm
                        nah // Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Sep 27 2012, 8:00pm
                But sentient is still sentient, and the Spiders of Mirkwood are at least passable for sentient. Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 9:45pm
            It doesn't work like that. Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 27 2012, 1:39pm
    They won't talk because Shelob didn't stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Sep 27 2012, 1:55pm
        I don't think that makes much sense either DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 27 2012, 2:05pm
            What makes for a better film? stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Sep 27 2012, 2:54pm
                They're going to have their own warg language, not english Carne Send a private message to Carne Sep 27 2012, 2:55pm
                Fair enough :-) DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 27 2012, 2:57pm
                In the books Ffnir Send a private message to Ffnir Sep 27 2012, 3:01pm
                Correction: Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 27 2012, 8:21pm
                    THIS Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 28 2012, 12:46am
                        :shock: dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Sep 28 2012, 12:27pm
                            Sure Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 28 2012, 3:59pm
    Shelob was reduced to just a monster in ROTK sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Sep 27 2012, 3:21pm
        Shelob does everything in the movie that she does in the book. Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 27 2012, 3:26pm
            I just reread the Shelob chapter The Preciousss Send a private message to The Preciousss Sep 27 2012, 3:49pm
                In the Book..page 157... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 27 2012, 4:01pm
                So rather than eating them, Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 27 2012, 4:03pm
                    I tend to think - Hanzkaz Sep 27 2012, 5:08pm
    Did Ungoliant talk? I can't rememeber. If so, I don't like it at all. xxxyyy Send a private message to xxxyyy Sep 28 2012, 12:07am
        The One Ring talks Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Sep 28 2012, 12:26am
            And the purse! / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 28 2012, 7:34am
        She most certainly DID talk. Here's an excerpt from "The Silmarillion": Bauglir100 Send a private message to Bauglir100 Sep 28 2012, 4:43am
    The ones in my house talk. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Sep 28 2012, 7:45pm
    I also hope they talk... Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Sep 28 2012, 9:13pm
        It does a lot for the story Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 29 2012, 12:18am
    Honestly I'm hoping they Do NOT speak Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Sep 30 2012, 9:34pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.