Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Bladorthin and Knifeorfat

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 11 2012, 12:01am

Views: 353
Shortcut
Bladorthin and Knifeorfat [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we are blessed that first drafts aren't final drafts, or I for one would love Tolkien much less.

Can you recall another Tolkien tale that had a character conversant with fowl friends?
You can't get the Eagles to shut up; they talk to everyone, even when they don't want to listen.
Then there were the Bree geese screaming at the Nazgul (according to Frodo). And for the record, those geese showed more gumption in protecting their turf than a Man like Butterbur did, so once more, we see Manwe's indomitable spirit in the feathered folk.

The winged creatures the Nazgul rode didn't seem talkative, but one screamed at Eowyn, apparently annoying her enough to make her cut off its head to put an end to what must have been insulting invective.

2. In a story riddled with deus ex machina, would you rate the thrush’s or the eagles’ contribution higher?
I like the thrush. It's like a hobbit--a small, unnoticed, unexpected hero. It probably steals stuff too.

But who was this King Bladorthin, precisely? Well, I thought "Gandalf" came from "wand-elf," and if Gandalf was a dwarf with a name saying he's an elf, then I'm a hob-goblin. I mark this up to successive drafts, where it would have been better if the originals were destroyed. Didn't Tolkien at one point call the Elves the Gnomes? I'm glad he didn't. Would we see those ceramic things in people's gardens and say, "Oh, look, it's Elrond, the garden gnome."

"like rain upon the Moon!” >> he was waxing poetic, i.e., poetic license, i.e., he may have been drunk. I think it's a cool line, nevertheless.

3. Tolkien conspiracy theory: the Arkenstone was a Silmaril, true or false. Like Eru in the corporeal disguise of Bombadil, this theory never seems to go away.
I confess to living in a cave all my life, because I've never heard either of these theories. Arkenstone: I don't think it's the one that Maedhros had, the one that found its way into the depths of the earth. The Silmarils seemed to have a much more powerful effect on people than the Arkenstone did. All the same, I think the Arkenstone had creepy, corrupting properties like the Silmarils, awakening lust for them that leads to no good for good people.

Eru = Bombadil? Bombadil seems more like Santa Claus in a summer residence. A stronger connection could be made between those two than Tom and Eru.

Subject User Time
** Inside Information ** Part IV – A Bird, Bladorthin and Baubles Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Sep 27 2012, 4:07am
    Answers fowl and fair dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Oct 1 2012, 2:58am
    birds, names and trinkets of desperate desire elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Oct 3 2012, 4:54pm
    "Rain upon the moon" justbennett Send a private message to justbennett Oct 4 2012, 8:06pm
    Late answers sador Send a private message to sador Oct 9 2012, 9:22am
    Bladorthin and Knifeorfat CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2012, 12:01am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.