Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Moichandising, moichandising, moichandising!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 4:22pm

Post #26 of 45 (300 views)
Shortcut
Do get it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I received Glamdring as a gift once. Very nice! Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 27 2012, 4:53pm

Post #27 of 45 (290 views)
Shortcut
Just a point or two [In reply to] Can't Post

1) The tagline, "Forged by and for fans of JRR Tolkien," is all inclusive. It means *all* fans of Tolkien, whether they love Tolkien through the books, or were introduced to him through the movies. Our mission is to provide a place that covers news on as many interests of those fans as possible. We don't judge that people who collects merchandise are somehow 'lesser fans' or that those who collect books are different from those who collect Sideshow toys, or swords, etc. etc. We don't judge that people who love hanging around the movie boards are lesser fans than those who frequent the Reading Room. We *have* provided a "Gaming and Collecting" board where such stories go, to isolate related stories and make them easier to find for interested fans, and so people who aren't interested can easily avoid discussing them on the boards.

2) It's only natural that, with only a few months until the first Hobbit movie opens, there's a lot of news on merchandising because that's precisely when those types of things are released, and the upcoming holidays make merchandisers double down on that. It's a big percentage of the Home Page news now, but that will ebb and flow just like all the other news.

3) If anyone would like to see more news related to J.R.R. Tolkien himself, first of all, good luck finding a plethora out there, but please do go searching for it and send it into spymaster@theonering.net. I promise you we'll run a story on it!

4) TORn is a volunteer site with no source of revenue to speak of. If it weren't for those merchandisers who advertise here, and that we have great relationships with (including Warner Bros), TORn probably wouldn't exist, and we certainly wouldn't have as much access to other breaking news as we do thanks to them.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2012, 4:54pm

Post #28 of 45 (286 views)
Shortcut
There was Tolkien merchandise well before the films [In reply to] Can't Post

Role-playing games, toys, models, and video games. It's hardly a new phenomenon.

People always want to spend more time with stories and characters they love; if the licensees make money, and the fans are happy at the same time, more power to everyone IMO. Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 27 2012, 4:54pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 7:36pm

Post #29 of 45 (267 views)
Shortcut
these movies are blockbusters [In reply to] Can't Post

thankfully critically acclaimed and well done, but they are entertainment and a product at the end of the day.

I can't imagine a world where they wouldn't be doing this with these films.

Personally I would love the idea of being turned into an action figure. Cool

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

sharku
Rivendell

Sep 27 2012, 8:13pm

Post #30 of 45 (241 views)
Shortcut
Degree [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree it's just a question of degree (as well as perspective). How's that for expedient flexibility?

I too have the LOTR boardgame (http://boardgamegeek.com/...23/lord-of-the-rings) along with various other Tolkien-derived accoutrements. I love the works of Naismith, Howe and Lee (Alan) as well, and have done so for years. And I *think* I saw the Bakshi film of LOTR even before I'd read the book (it was a while ago). And I do confess to looking unhealthily longingly at the Nelson jeweler's reproductions of the One Ring. It does look precious indeed.

To clarify: I am not maligning people who do derive enjoyment from owning and / or collecting the moichandise. And because of that, I don't hold against the corporate entities which service the demand for it (and appreciate the comment above that the Tolkien estate both sold the rights and derives a slice of the pie as a result).

So, a question of degree and taste, I'll freely admit. With the diversity of the Tolkien community it comes as no surprise that there is a diversity along the spectrum from (the Tolkien Estate's overt preferred position?) "books only" to "where is my LOTR-themed condom?" (the obvious crass joke just a lewd remark away).

I shall seek out "The Frodo Franchise" for further enlightenment....

(This post was edited by sharku on Sep 27 2012, 8:15pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 27 2012, 8:48pm

Post #31 of 45 (238 views)
Shortcut
There seems to be a considerabe increase of Merchandise fot The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

over what was made for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and it is still very early in the game.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2012, 9:30pm

Post #32 of 45 (211 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it's due to enhanced expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I remember of the run-up to FOTR, it was overshadowed by the first Harry Potter movie, which was expected to be THE blockbuster that year. New Line had sold off the foreign rights and was fully prepared to send movies two and three straight to DVD. In effect, everyone was preparing for disaster, so it's not surprising that the merchandising was muted.

With The Hobbit movies, there is huge anticipation and right or wrong, they are expected to have a giant box-office. The merchandising is just a reflection of the expected interest and ticket sales.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 27 2012, 9:41pm

Post #33 of 45 (220 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

When I think of all that was made for LOTR: the jewelry and watches, the pipes, the costumes, the Burger King toys and book covers, shot glasses, magnets, bookmarks, Rohan pennants, movie posters, standees, Istari staff pens, journals, maps, pewter glasses, chess sets, sword replicas, stamps, board games and puzzles.

Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I thought there was a lot more merchandise for LOTR than we've seen yet for TH.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2012, 10:22pm

Post #34 of 45 (188 views)
Shortcut
I agree. There was at least as much merchandising for LOTR than there is for Hobbit. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Moahunter
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 10:36pm

Post #35 of 45 (183 views)
Shortcut
Do you have a choice DanielLB? [In reply to] Can't Post

I will have to try that line with NZ IRD.
Sorry, you won't be getting any tax from me, I've chosen to spend my money on things.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 10:40pm

Post #36 of 45 (185 views)
Shortcut
Not literally, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

But why save money, when it ends up going to the tax man, bills, petrol, insurance etc. I say waste disposable income on what you enjoy!

But then again, I'm only young, and only starting out in life. People older than me (and less naive) would havevery different views.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

shadow0421
The Shire

Sep 28 2012, 12:01am

Post #37 of 45 (186 views)
Shortcut
Now wait a minute [In reply to] Can't Post

I love my Burger King LOTR goblets! I think they're pretty cool looking.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 28 2012, 12:51am

Post #38 of 45 (180 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking a box, and some paint, and some bits of wood, and making a model Minas Tirith is far more satisfying than buying a model of the movie Minas Tirith. And it's better for the imagination.

But that's just me. People should feel free to do whatever they want!

Even I had some pre-movie LOTR toys (an Uruk, and a Witch-King figure) and I liked them quite a bit. But they mostly just sat in a box and collected dust...

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 12:55am

Post #39 of 45 (176 views)
Shortcut
and the figures talk! [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy everyone I find at thrift stores and garage sales.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 4:03am

Post #40 of 45 (162 views)
Shortcut
I said it was early the game... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite bit of LotR ephmera is abox of One Ring chocoate chip cookies. These biscuits were pure evil.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Sep 28 2012, 4:08am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 28 2012, 1:01pm

Post #41 of 45 (130 views)
Shortcut
did they give you [In reply to] Can't Post

a Ring of Fire? Shocked

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2012, 1:56pm

Post #42 of 45 (138 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd personally jump on the opportunity of "The Hobbit the Flamethrower", but that's just me.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 28 2012, 2:36pm

Post #43 of 45 (144 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh. Fair warning about Oct 1 :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The official release date for many of this movie's, and this season's, Hobbit toys is Monday. So, the Home Page is going to be full of 'toy stories' all weekend long until then (there are already several in the queue).

There are a few nice Tolkien stories too, which I promise we'll post. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2012, 4:46pm

Post #44 of 45 (170 views)
Shortcut
The other thing to remember is that the merchandise gives us first looks, hints and spoilers for the films. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

sharku
Rivendell

Nov 22 2012, 7:27pm

Post #45 of 45 (86 views)
Shortcut
J R R Martin [In reply to] Can't Post

So, at the end of all of this, it seems as thought the Tolkien estate has now had enough of the sprawling merchandising juggernaught:
http://www.theonering.net/...ien-estates-lawsuit/

I have to say, the cheesy tie-ins (Air NZ safety vids, tourism stuff, Lego LOTR games etc etc) are rather overshadowing the films themselves for me. Oh - and someone may be able to correct me - but wasn't there also a book tie-in called 'The Hobbit', written by some guy called J R R Martin ?

(This post was edited by sharku on Nov 22 2012, 7:29pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.