Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will any notable soloists or soloists from the trilogy be involved with the music?

marcuspaine
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 2:25am

Post #1 of 20 (891 views)
Shortcut
Will any notable soloists or soloists from the trilogy be involved with the music? Can't Post

Like Renée Fleming, etc.

I'm particularly interested to see what they do for Mirkwood, with the choirs and soloists performing.

(This post was edited by marcuspaine on Sep 27 2012, 2:26am)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 2:54am

Post #2 of 20 (331 views)
Shortcut
I suppose notable is relative [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of people knew who Enya was. Not so many knew who Renee was - even though she was certainly known in her field.

I would wager it's highly likely soloists will be involved. I would guess that notable ones will sing the end of the movie songs but that's not necessarily a given. Emiliana wasn't *that* notable. But for the songs in the movie, that could get relative. Some vocalists will be known by some people. What threshold meets 'notable' is subjective.

I'm not sure what you mean by " soloists from the trilogy". We now have two trilogies to consider. If you mean soloists from the LOTR trilogy, I suppose that's possible. It seems to me that Shore likes to mix it up a little. He didn't repeat many people from section to section of the movies. Each voice had it's own place. Renee got used more than others, perhaps, but she was mostly confined to the end of ROTK.

But the true answer is 'no one knows yet'. There is no information about the score being released or leaked at this point in time.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Sep 27 2012, 3:40am

Post #3 of 20 (294 views)
Shortcut
I was actually thinking about this the other day.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't think we'll know anything though until the soundtrack descriptions come out

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 3:56am

Post #4 of 20 (348 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore's The Hobbit AUJ CD release date [In reply to] Can't Post

According to HMV the CD of music to The Hobbit, AUJ is to be released on the 8th of October.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=964737

Hopefully, we will then find out if Howard Shore has retained the grandeur that we have all come to expect of him. We should also get a good indication of the heart and soul of the film as the music adds so much to the emotional soundscape.
What songs and themes are included? We will shortly find out.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 4:01am

Post #5 of 20 (321 views)
Shortcut
Not accurate... [In reply to] Can't Post

according to Doug Adams:
http://www.musicoflotr.com/...ml#comment-660876909

He didn't specify anything more than that and I don't think he can. He's signed an nda.

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 4:14am

Post #6 of 20 (286 views)
Shortcut
Such a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the correction Magpie. It looked promising, but if anyone should know it has got to be Doug Adams.
I wonder if we will get a full version of Far over the Misty Mountains?
We can but hope.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 27 2012, 4:24am

Post #7 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
I'd welcome any of them back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though probably not the young boy who did March of the Ents. His voice has likely grown out of that by now. Wink You sure as heck can't go wrong with Annie Lennox. I'd love to hear her again!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 4:24am

Post #8 of 20 (281 views)
Shortcut
Oct 8 would seem awfully early [In reply to] Can't Post

The three LOTR movies OSTs were released

November 20, 2001
December 10, 2002
November 25, 2003

Also, I kind of think there will be some promotion before the release date. We've heard nothing up to now.

Lots of OSTs will release at least samples if not full tracks before it's released to get some hype and buzz going.

I wonder if there will be a production blog focusing on the music just before the OST goes on sale.

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 4:44am

Post #9 of 20 (281 views)
Shortcut
Lets hope for a blog [In reply to] Can't Post

It would certainly be a good choice for the next blog from PJ.
The blogs have shown so many technical aspects of the production. A glimpse of the recording session in London would not only reassure the fans, but would be excellent publicity for the film that is so tantalizingly close.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 9:05am

Post #10 of 20 (217 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would make for a brilliant vlog - and they can inter-cut it with some scenes as well.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 1:16pm

Post #11 of 20 (182 views)
Shortcut
Imagine the jam session of this man with Sylvester McCoy [In reply to] Can't Post

As Tolkien mentions in the goblins song:
"Clash, crash! Crush, smash!
Hammer and tongs! Knocker and gongs!

As tongs are a bit like playing the spoons there must be an opportunity for Sylvester McCoy to join in with the goblin song. I'm sure that he would love to learn new techniques from this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtOl3HGjU3k&feature=relmfu

(This post was edited by Barrel-Rider on Sep 27 2012, 1:22pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 1:30pm

Post #12 of 20 (171 views)
Shortcut
you might remember when PJ played the gong [In reply to] Can't Post

in a recording session. (although, I think, technically, it's called a tam-tam)

It never actually made it into the final soundtrack. It was more done for fun.

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...s_discussion/fun.htm

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 1:41pm

Post #13 of 20 (162 views)
Shortcut
No excuse this time [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember that post.

It should be a done deal with Sylvester on tongs(spoons),
Peter on gong and I'm sure they can get some dwarves to ring out some hammers on anvils.

What fun!!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 1:46pm

Post #14 of 20 (159 views)
Shortcut
I do believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

they used hammers on anvils for Isengard music!

https://picasaweb.google.com/...#5171406084621847554

Don't you love how the tag is still on the hammer? :-)

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 2:10pm

Post #15 of 20 (162 views)
Shortcut
Dinky hammer for a Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

It may ring better, but you would expect something the size of a lump hammer at the very least.

As you know Howard Shore used no end of exotic instruments in his scores for LoTR.
What instruments would you like to see used this time?

Will we get any viols? Will Thorin, Fili and Kili play the harps that are mentioned in the book?

I do not hold out any hope of accurate fingering from any of the dwarves, but it would be good to see the instruments all the same.

Why can they not employ someone to coach the dwarves in playing instruments as they do for movement, riding, speech and fighting?

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 2:20pm

Post #16 of 20 (179 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure he always insists on this as part of his contract. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It should be a done deal with Sylvester on tongs(spoons),

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 2:30pm

Post #17 of 20 (160 views)
Shortcut
Eccentricity rules [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you are correct. Sylvester McCoy needs no encouragement to play his beloved spoons, as can be seen in blog 8.
All wizards should be able to let their hair down at times.

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 27 2012, 4:00pm

Post #18 of 20 (134 views)
Shortcut
How awesome would a group of these be at the battle of the five armies? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYM0xB5Jrc0&feature=related

With Dain's army charging onto the scene riding wild boars. It would certainly add atmosphere.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 28 2012, 1:37am

Post #19 of 20 (98 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

While music is great, I wouldn't want to waste the visual nature of a vlog primarily on an a process whose product is aural.

If, however, we get lots of scenes of musicians playing in front of scenes from the film (ones we haven't seen yet), I will be happy.

Though I do wonder if Bifur's head ornament will have it's own musical leitmotif...

Barrel-Rider
Bree

Sep 28 2012, 5:01am

Post #20 of 20 (228 views)
Shortcut
What leitmotifs do you think we will get? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that we could see some individual dwarf leitmotifs, Thorin, Fili and Kili and Balin (who I am sure we are going to see play the role of Bilbo's confident and mentor.)
Then there are individual traits:
Bombur (gluttony/clumsy)
Nori (under hand)
Dwalin (warrior ethic)

Despite seeing a lot of the dwarves in the vlogs I feel that we have only scratched the surface of their characters.

A recent post suggested that Bifur's embedded axe may have a sad back story. There is still so much to discover.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.