Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo's garment in "Riddles in the Dark" scene
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2012, 1:39am

Post #51 of 65 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I believe Holm didn't want to play young Bilbo again [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember him saying something about the way they made him younger in FOTR really hurt, and he never wanted to do that again. or something similar to that effect. I'm fine with Martin Freeman playing Bilbo. I actually pictured him as Bilbo the first time i read the Hobbit after seeing the Hitchhikers guide movie. I think he'll be perfect and maybe they will replace they young Bilbo from FOTR with him someday on a deluxe Blue Ray collectors edition who knows Wink

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 2:00am

Post #52 of 65 (1087 views)
Shortcut
As long as... [In reply to] Can't Post

They retain the green tint, which will help maintain continuity with the old deluxe extended blu-ray collectors edition.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 2:07am

Post #53 of 65 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Young Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't even look like a bilbo, IMO

http://siyanor.com/photo/Ian-Holm71865.jpg

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2012, 2:32am

Post #54 of 65 (1070 views)
Shortcut
But he DID look like a cold, calculating android [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 4:00am

Post #55 of 65 (1056 views)
Shortcut
No, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I remember him saying something about the way they made him younger in FOTR really hurt, and he never wanted to do that again

He'd need never experience the slightest discomfort. They would simply dial the flux capacitor back to, say, 1977, explain the situation to young(er) Ian, shoot all requirred scenes with him against greenscreen (well, blue, at the time, probably), and then, safely back in the present, edit him into the master footage. Of course, as Arnold Schwarzenegger can explain far better than I, the film unit would be required to travel to the past naked and empty-handed, so they would not have spiffy REDs at their disposal. However, they could shoot everything on contemporary 70mm, seal the reels in hermetic mailers, schedule a Western Union delivery to New Zealand for 2012, and voila!—scan it with a modern Lasergraphics and you'd never even notice the difference.

Far more streamlined, IMO, than having to go through all those casting calls and worries over continuity issues. I'd even have been willing to lend them my burgundy blazer.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 9:11am

Post #56 of 65 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Looks like Bilbo to me ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

jtarkey
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 9:37am

Post #57 of 65 (1028 views)
Shortcut
It's looking more and more likely [In reply to] Can't Post

That they will replace Ian with Martin in new versions of FOTR. It really is the only scene that noticeably ruins continuity. Honestly, I really hope they do. Hopefully that's all they will change. It would help the 6 films blend so well together.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 9:47am

Post #58 of 65 (1039 views)
Shortcut
But it's plainly clear that Bilbo is played by two actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be really disappointed if in future releases they remove Holm. Frown

jtarkey
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 9:53am

Post #59 of 65 (1021 views)
Shortcut
But.. [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason (and maybe this is just me) the fact that Ian Holm is in the Hobbit makes it work. If Ian is in The Hobbit as old bilbo, it only makes sense to have Martin in FOTR as young bilbo. Flows perfectly to me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 10:00am

Post #60 of 65 (1018 views)
Shortcut
I suppose so [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

And it gives them an excuse to re-release the DVD's again ... $$$

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 27 2012, 10:27am

Post #61 of 65 (1016 views)
Shortcut
I do hope not! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I certainly hope that PJ will retain from pulling a Lucas™ here.

LOTR is and stays LOTR, and HOBBIT is HOBBIT - these are two different films. No need to mix footage from one into the other.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Noria
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 1:32pm

Post #62 of 65 (997 views)
Shortcut
I agree about replacing Bilbo in FotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope PJ doesn't do that - I don't think it's necessary.

But then, I couldn't care less that Bilbo is dressed differently in FotR and AUJ. I probably won't even notice whrn I see AUJ unless I remember this thread.Wink

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Sep 27 2012, 1:46pm

Post #63 of 65 (1019 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the fact that The Hobbit movies are being made as part of the Lord of the Rings collection, not as something else completely separately, with many of the same actors, and even a slightly darker beard of Gandalf to make him seem slightly younger than LOTR, yes, they need to mix footage from one into the other, or at least just with LOTR prologue.

The goal is to have all the six movies as one whole collection, and are being designed to be seen, ideally, by present and future generations in chronological order.

Yes, maybe one scene of Ian Holme is "sacrificed" in LOTR (contrary to Lucas, original LOTR cuts dvds and blu-rays are already there) but we'll get even more of him in The Hobbit movies.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Sep 27 2012, 1:48pm)

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 30 2012, 1:58am

Post #64 of 65 (946 views)
Shortcut
They may not have been planning ahead... [In reply to] Can't Post

... But as sophisticated the wardrobe is for these films, I would have hoped that they could at least made a careful remodeling of the original costume. I was pondering this recently as I was watching FOTR, so I'm glad that the topic was brought up.

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'
'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!'

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 30 2012, 2:04am

Post #65 of 65 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Also, red may have been chosen [In reply to] Can't Post

As a visual reminder that Bilbo is a fish out of water in this big, dangerous, green world.

A green coat would not make the same impression.

Continuity is far less important than using the visual language of film to convey meaning.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.