Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So this new elf...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 9:54pm

Post #51 of 62 (307 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Because what we need is for a very unique occurrence in LOTR to seem like something that happens all the time.

Smile

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 10:28pm

Post #52 of 62 (290 views)
Shortcut
you mean dwarves don't [In reply to] Can't Post

fall in love with elven females every other day in middle earth? Shocked I thought that sort of thing was the norm.... ok I must of picked that up from Peter Jackson's middle earth I guess Tongue

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 10:53pm

Post #53 of 62 (263 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm going to sit here and... [In reply to] Can't Post

... expend energy worrying about this female elf character in the Hobbit movie.

Okay... bored now. And a little hungry.

Laugh

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Sep 27 2012, 1:17am

Post #54 of 62 (241 views)
Shortcut
Any room for this legume? [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on certain metrics I have seen bandied about in this, The Hobbit/Movie! forum, I surely must find a seat in the gallery of goober peas, or, if you will, the multitude of monkey nuts. May I?

It's not that I do not relish finer fare like Rooibos tea-marinated duck breast with lavender-scented black rice or grilled poissin with wild mushroom rag (these might just be culinary analogies to JRRT's novel), but a PBJ with a side of fresh Tauriel has the potential to be satisfying.

~ Tweezers of Th, NARF, NARP, SJDVP*

*Slack-jawed Drooling Victim of Panderism

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 27 2012, 2:32am

Post #55 of 62 (284 views)
Shortcut
Writing one right now [In reply to] Can't Post

is that creepy?

Laugh

Seriously though, she will get a lot of attention, probably more than any individual dwarf apart from Thorin and Kili. Actually she's had quite a bit already and we've only seen one image of her...

For whatever reason, whether because of her charisma, her gender, or just that she's an invented character, she's a lighting rod. I just hope she doesn't become a poster child for everything people don't like about the movies. Pretty sure she didn't sign on for that.

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 27 2012, 2:33am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 27 2012, 9:01pm

Post #56 of 62 (185 views)
Shortcut
she probably [In reply to] Can't Post

signed on for a ton o cash, which no doubt will soften the blow somewhat. and she gets to snog Kili, nice work if you can get it.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Sep 27 2012, 9:04pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 27 2012, 9:16pm

Post #57 of 62 (163 views)
Shortcut
Tweezers [In reply to] Can't Post

I Bean meanin to ask what the Falafel ur talkin about? Wink

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 28 2012, 3:45am

Post #58 of 62 (150 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping that she [In reply to] Can't Post

Knows Middle-Earth well enough to not only portray an elf well enough but to also appreciate Tolkien and the spirit of his work. The cast in LOTR were great as far as working to bring Tolkien's work genuinely to the screen.

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'
'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!'

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 4:39am

Post #59 of 62 (125 views)
Shortcut
I always got the sense that Arwen was based heavily on Melian. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was enough written about that character that I saw a lot of her in Arwen when that character was fleshed out for the movie. I get the feeling Tauriel will be much the same. Perhaps she will not remind me of one specific elf, but I have a feeling someone stepping out of the pack of Mirkwood elves that are described will not be as offensive as some might imagine. I'm betting it will actually be a great move.

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 10:35pm

Post #60 of 62 (71 views)
Shortcut
Don't like her "expanded" role [In reply to] Can't Post

I realize tons of people are just accepting her as something Tolkien "would have" written, but he didn't write her Peter Jackson did. Making her the captain of the Guard is fine her role should be getting drunk so Bilbo can get the keys to free the dwarves end of role. But I realize they have combined that role with "other" characters, none of which I remember reading specifics of which makes me believe its more Peter Jackson made up material instead of Tolkien's work. I don't care that they do a gender swap on a character but when they start making up interaction with characters from the book IMO it alters what the characters that were actually written would do. She might work, or she might not I just don't like the fact that she is an almost 100% Peter Jackson fabrication. the only role I can really see where specifics from the book are applied is the captain of the guard and we have no idea whether she will actually do ANYTHING that that character in the book did.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 30 2012, 10:59pm

Post #61 of 62 (86 views)
Shortcut
Well, I do understand your concern... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and, after seeing the amount of screen-time eaten up by tertiary characters in Jackson's King Kong, I can't say that it is unfounded. I am hoping that Peter Jackson has learned from past mistakes.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 11:13pm

Post #62 of 62 (140 views)
Shortcut
Thats what I'm hoping too [In reply to] Can't Post

since I was not a huge fan of PJ's King Kong. Almost every scene in that films was OTT and I felt nothing for many of the characters. But as far as the Hobbit goes i see many things I like but every time I see something I like, I see 1 I don't. Well December is only a couple months away at this point we shall see if past mistakes were lessons learned.Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.