Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the equinox reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 1:43pm

Post #1 of 22 (372 views)
Shortcut
It's the equinox reading thread! Can't Post

I almost wrote, "the autumn equinox reading thread", but of course it's the spring equinox for a goodly number of us.

I just finished a short but very entertaining book titled Odd Aspects of England, by Garry Hogg, published in 1969. The author drove around England in the 50s and 60s taking photos of follies, lock-ups, prehistoric, Roman, and medieval remains, memorials, bridges, and so forth. Each of the black-and-white photos has a paragraph or two or three with it, written in a very knowledgeable, witty, and opinionated voice.

I just saw Hogg's medieval bridge in Monmouth in a contemporary photo in the most recent issue of British Heritage. But I bet some of these market crosses, etc., are no longer there, swept away by traffic and "progress."

One thing that struck me about the photos was nothing the author intended. Every time his camera catches woman passer-by, she's wearing a skirt. Even if she's out hiking along Hadrian's Wall or across a pasture, she's wearing a skirt!

Times have changed Tongue

What y'all been reading?

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 22 (155 views)
Shortcut
What is this skirt thing you speak of? [In reply to] Can't Post

Some sort of lycra exercise shorts?

I'm nearly finished with If I Were an Evil Overlord, an anthology edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Russell Davis. I'd say all the stories have been very entertaining and I recommend the book to aspiring overlords everywhere.

What's next? I'm not sure - time to look at my Goodreads to-read list!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 3:20pm

Post #3 of 22 (133 views)
Shortcut
on book three of the Sharing Knife series [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say Bujold is taking her time with this one. We know what the characters ate for every meal and how well they slept every night. It seems a bit insignificant, but I think I know what she's doing; she's describing the minutiae of the first acts that change an entire society. Rather like describing the butterfly that flaps its wings and sets that hurricane in motion.

Have Madcaps, Screwballs, & Con Women: The Female Trickster in American Culture on my table for the next book. I'm teaching a class on archetypes & film and we'll be looking at the trickster soon, in the persons of Captain Jack Sparrow, Loki, and Susan from "Bringing Up Baby." (By the way, Cary Grant never said "Judy Judy Judy" in a movie . . . but he did say "Susan Susan Susan!")

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 22 (130 views)
Shortcut
His Majesty's Dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been hearing about this series from 'sibs here, so when I saw it at the thrift store I grabbed it. I have to say I really enjoyed it, especially the touching relationship between Laurence and Temeraire. I also like the way it is written, comparable to Cornwell IMO. You know, good vocabularly and descriptive prose. I have already ordered the next two in the series. The only thing I have a bit of trouble with is how enourmous these dragons are. I just never expected them to be as big as dinosaurs! But then I guess they wouldn't be as useful in a war situation.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 4:31pm

Post #5 of 22 (149 views)
Shortcut
Surfacing, The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the autumn equinox in my neck of the woods, thank you very much. Tongue

I'm still working my way through The Silmarillion. It's definitely raised a lot more ideas than any book has as of late. Given my current schedule it's a very easy book to read chapter by chapter every day or so. I'm just now getting to the coming of Men, and I'm truly astonished that even in the realm of fantasy Tolkien doesn't give a clear answer for our fate. Laugh

Meanwhile, in my Canadian Literature class, we're starting our first novel of the semester, Surfacing, by Margaret Atwood. I've only just started, but I always enjoy stories that follow a first-person narrative. While they can be hit or miss, generally I've never found one that has trouble in keeping my attention. So far so good, I'll say. I'm still in the midst of the beginning, but it flows fairly well and holds enough unanswered questions to keep me going well enough to be finished before the week is up.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 5:42pm

Post #6 of 22 (143 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's "Sigurd and Gudrun" [In reply to] Can't Post

After my marathon of watching the Ring cycle on PBS, this was a logical follow-up. I had made it about halfway through the book before, but this time I was more interested and followed it to the end. I have to admit the commentary made me exceedingly sleepy and I had some better nights' sleep than I've had in a while. So that was beneficial, I guess. The poetry itself didn't really grab me, though occasional stanzas did. I felt myself wondering why I didn't just go to a translation of the original sagas (which I'm doing now, besides reading Collum's excellent book "Children of Odin"). And the second half--holy cow, what a bloody thing! It makes me glad I live in today's world. Most gruesome thing I've read since the Illiad. But I kind of liked the guy playing the harp in the snake pit.

Love your observation on the seasons. It always fills me with awe to think of us all talking together here when we are so far apart geographically as to have opposite seasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

ShadoFax
The Shire

Sep 25 2012, 6:30pm

Post #7 of 22 (157 views)
Shortcut
How can you do a class on "the trickster" in film and not include... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Barbara Stanwyck's "Jean" from The Lady Eve?? One of the cinema's iconic performances in a timeless classic. I'll take Sturges' smart con movie over Bringing Up Baby any day.

I came across my 1st edition of Tom Wolf's The Right Stuff whilest unpacking boxes from my recent move. I just dove in for a quick read since I hadn't opened it in years.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 11:21pm

Post #8 of 22 (126 views)
Shortcut
I have been going to 10 oclock lectures at Saint Peter's [In reply to] Can't Post

on sundays in Morristown that Bishop John Shelby Spong has been giving between services, centering around lately on the Prophets and the times which they lived. Word was out about his new book so i went and ordered it. It came today and is 'Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World'. He has taught at Harvard and is brilliant biblical scholar who brings so many intriguing things to light. He feels that his work only heightens his love for the bible and his faith.

This will be another fascinating journey like his other books i believe.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 1:59am

Post #9 of 22 (105 views)
Shortcut
The Vicar of Wakefield [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read it since high school and it was free for my Kindle. Can't pass up free! Wink

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 2:34am

Post #10 of 22 (98 views)
Shortcut
The Age of Miracles [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd been wanting to read this coming-of-age/apocalypse novel, so I bought it in a weak moment at the bookstore (I rarely buy books). I enjoyed it, and it left me wanting more. I don't know if a sequel is planned. In the meantime, I passed it on to my daughter.

Where's Frodo?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:28pm

Post #11 of 22 (64 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could make some remark about a skirt being the tartan pleated thing that a Scotsman wears, but I appreciate men in kilts way too much (especially since my own husband is one) to make that particular joke Tongue

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:32pm

Post #12 of 22 (67 views)
Shortcut
Interesting viewpoint [In reply to] Can't Post

...to equate what I always saw as simply a slow, self-indulgent part of the book as an example of the butterfly effect. But it's been a while since I read the Sharing Knife books. You could well be right and I'm just being over-critical. Unimpressed

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:34pm

Post #13 of 22 (66 views)
Shortcut
My husband loves this series [In reply to] Can't Post

Or loved the first few books in it, to be accurate. I gather from his remarks that Novik runs out of steam with the later books.

That said, our own PJ has optioned the series. Wouldn't it be nice to see him make a movie out of them?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:36pm

Post #14 of 22 (65 views)
Shortcut
No, even Tolkien can't answer all questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though his thought is often as wonderfully complex and dense as his prose. (And I mean that as a compliment.) Reading both Tolkien and Atwood must be an interesting contrast!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:39pm

Post #15 of 22 (74 views)
Shortcut
People in some parts of the world... [In reply to] Can't Post

...still suffer that sort of casual brutality, sadly. At least we now see it as an aberration rather than normal.

Yes, isn't it great that we can not only chat with our friends on the other side of the world on a daily basis, the internet and email allows us to make those friends to begin with! Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:40pm

Post #16 of 22 (65 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spong is indeed quite a scholar and intriguing thinker. Enjoy!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:41pm

Post #17 of 22 (53 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...free is good when it comes to a class like Vicar. With some free things, though, you get what you pay for Wink

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 2:42pm

Post #18 of 22 (84 views)
Shortcut
The publishing industry thanks you ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 4:05pm

Post #19 of 22 (62 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately that's very true. [In reply to] Can't Post

But at least it's not as universal and constant as it was a thousand years ago. In Colum's book on Norse mythology, Sigurd wants a sword to go kill people just because that's a fun thing to do, and he's the hero. Well, there's some revenge involved too, I think, but mostly that's what warriors are supposed to do. He's not too crazy about dealing with that ugly dragon, but he agrees to kill it, not for the hoard, but just because that's what you do with dragons.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 4:09pm

Post #20 of 22 (54 views)
Shortcut
heh [In reply to] Can't Post

usually I'm the over-critical one Wink

Have to say I was disappointed after the astonishing and glorious Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls; you wouldn't think it's the same writer. But it's not so bad that I can't keep reading.

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 26 2012, 4:09pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 4:13pm

Post #21 of 22 (74 views)
Shortcut
can't cover them all! [In reply to] Can't Post

and I love the scene where Susan destroys the dinosaur :)

Actually Cap'n Jack and Susan will just get a brief look-in, before we go on to contrast Loki and Tony Stark in "The Avengers" as the negative and positive sides of the Trickster coin.

ShadoFax
The Shire

Sep 26 2012, 10:38pm

Post #22 of 22 (215 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like great fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

You must let us know how it goes.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.