Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Advanced Tickets for The Hobbit go on sale November 7th, 2012.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 8:44pm

Post #26 of 45 (772 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, yes! I shouldn't be complaining! [In reply to] Can't Post

It wouldn't be a bad thing being snowed in during a screening of The Hobbit though. Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 8:48pm

Post #27 of 45 (775 views)
Shortcut
If you're snowed in, start digging! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I guess your Brits aren't familiar with that white snow thingy Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 8:51pm

Post #28 of 45 (760 views)
Shortcut
One day of snow here brings the country to a stand still! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes - we're useless Tongue

I love the stuff! I would have winter all year if I could. Smile

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 8:55pm

Post #29 of 45 (782 views)
Shortcut
Then "Finnmarksvidda" in Norway is the place for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Snow everywhere, and no sign of grass or summer!
And the best thing, in "Finnmarksvidda" no one can hear you scream Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 9:11pm

Post #30 of 45 (759 views)
Shortcut
I've been! [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent a couple of weeks in Utsjoki Smile

Hmmm ... going off topic! Not sure I can link this to the actual thread Wink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 9:50pm

Post #31 of 45 (770 views)
Shortcut
Utsjoki is in Finland... but I guess that's Norway to you... :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Going back on topic!
Yay! Can't wait for tickets in two weeks! :D

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Sep 24 2012, 9:51pm)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 24 2012, 11:03pm

Post #32 of 45 (733 views)
Shortcut
I have to check first [In reply to] Can't Post

whether or not there will be an english premiere here in germany. Otherwise I have to make a trip to London for the premiere.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 11:16pm

Post #33 of 45 (714 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a conversation between Bilbo (DanieLB) and the dwarves (painjoiker).

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 11:28pm

Post #34 of 45 (742 views)
Shortcut
What? No Quad-logy Thursday? Quadology? Quadilogy? Quadogy? ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, however it might be said -- Come on!! -- somebody's got to do it, right?

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 11:40pm

Post #35 of 45 (692 views)
Shortcut
Remember, midnight is very early Friday (not Saturday) [In reply to] Can't Post

So first off - you'll be up late Thursday night - hope you don't have school or work that next morning.

Then as far as regular screening times - it does kinda depend. When I was young, and Return of the Jedi was released, I couldn't make the midnight showing (darned brother getting married that day, had to attend instead of getting in line), so went the next morning at an 8am showing.

But I don't recall lots of morning/afternoon shows/matinees more recently - but then I haven't paid as close attention. So some theaters may not show it again until Friday evening, while others may have showings all day (even though school is likely still in session that day).

Also, about midnight screenings. This is the GOOD THING about Digital copies of the movie. We went to the HP7, part2, at midnight at our local theater. When I first talked to them earlier in the week, they said they were going to show it in 4 auditoriums. Well, on that night, they just kept selling tickets. When an auditorium was full, they just opened another one and continued selling all evening long - right up until midnight. So instead of a sell-out like in those old days of actual copies of the film, they ended up showing it in 7 or 8 auditoriums that night, all full!

Uruk-Hai
The Shire

Sep 25 2012, 1:21am

Post #36 of 45 (659 views)
Shortcut
Sinitype? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will there be a Hobbit Sinitype available for advanced tickets?

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 1:50am

Post #37 of 45 (684 views)
Shortcut
Since the movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

are all shot, edited, and the majority will be projected digitally, Senitypes may not be available for The Hobbit.

However, I imagine there will be film prints made for some theaters that are still projecting film.

So you never know...

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

DavidDragonSlayer
The Shire

Sep 25 2012, 3:26am

Post #38 of 45 (630 views)
Shortcut
So would I [In reply to] Can't Post

Thing is, I'm in Canada. Cineplex.com lists the Hobbit movie as coming up, but they provide no way of ordering tickets for it at this time.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 7:15am

Post #39 of 45 (633 views)
Shortcut
I'll quickly slip in another off-topic comment while admins are sleeping [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's in Finland Tongue It's right on the Norwegian-Finnish border, but was just (not very well) suggesting I had been around Norway and Finland whilst staying there.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 8:22am

Post #40 of 45 (640 views)
Shortcut
there usually are in the big cities [In reply to] Can't Post

We're going to one in Hamburg, am sure Berlin will have them as well. Don't know about anything further south.

Although the idea of turning it into a short trip to London is appealing. Especially since we won't have much choice when it comes to 3D vs 2D and 24 vs 48 fps.

Edited to add: as opposed to what Ian said a few months ago, it seems there won't be a star studded official premiere for Germany this year. Maybe next.

In Reply To
whether or not there will be an english premiere here in germany. Otherwise I have to make a trip to London for the premiere.

(This post was edited by Rolfina on Sep 25 2012, 8:24am)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 8:36am

Post #41 of 45 (618 views)
Shortcut
Hamburg isn't that far away [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even an hour. I'm living in Braunschweig. ^^

I'll keep my eyes open. Are you sure that there'll be an english premiere event?

ericmvan
The Shire

Sep 25 2012, 8:37am

Post #42 of 45 (583 views)
Shortcut
Complicated by Format Options! [In reply to] Can't Post

Grabbing tickets for a midnight screening is straightforward when you know where you want to see the film and there's only one format.

Here in Boston, and in many other places, there will be at least three formats: 2D, Real 3D, genuine IMAX 3D (in one of the best IMAX theaters around), and hopefully there'll be some 48 fps as well.

I've already decided not to see the film in 48fps the first time, but I'm torn between 2D (on the great huge #1 screen at the Framingham AMC, if possible) and IMAX. And I worry about trying to get IMAX tickets, being shut out, and then discovering that while I was trying and failing, the show has sold out everywhere.

And then there's the complication of coordinating with at least 5 friends and possibly a dozen or more.

And of picking a theater that has a line party!

Here's a question for folks who have attended one of these big midnight films recently: Boston theaters have taken to putting these event films in literally every possible theater at midnight, and I imagine this is happening elsewhere. How do you know which theater your ticket is in? The screen sizes can vary dramatically.

Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered -- JRRT, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, Commentary, note 9.

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 1:47pm

Post #43 of 45 (588 views)
Shortcut
This is starting to sound very Pythonesque [In reply to] Can't Post

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 2:46pm

Post #44 of 45 (557 views)
Shortcut
Now to convince my housemates [In reply to] Can't Post

that going to the midnight showing would be beneficial during finals week Tongue

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 3:18pm

Post #45 of 45 (589 views)
Shortcut
Pffft. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in New England we endure everything from summers where we get droughts and heat waves of 100+ Farenheit to winters with 2 feet of snow in a blizzard and temps od up to 20 below F (and that's not always wind chill. Those are rare, but they happen. And yes, we do get the dd tail end of a hurricane in between.
In fact, Mark Twain wrote a famous satyrical essay on NE weather. Wish I could remember the title--I could link to it. Even 150 yrs later, it's hilarious.

Oh, this is working out perfectly--Not only do I have Friday and Sunday off on Hobbit weekend (Dec 14-16), and I can get Saturday off too if I want, but I normally have Wednesdays off from work. Nov 7 is a Wednesday, so I'll be there on time! I remember getting straight out of work for HP 8, got there a hour and half before they opened the doors and the line was alreay insane. All all 5 screens. None of that now though!

it might sound absurd getting my tix in person AT NOON but even though my theater opens up 4 screens for midnight showings, we have only 1 IMAX screen, and for me, it's IMAX or bust. Smile Whatever the fps. I'm hoping they don't have the 48fps on our IMAX screen though. I want to see it in a traditional format first time, so I can concentrate on the story...
though I'll be upset if we don't get 48fps here!

And midnight screenings are a blast. Even though Im too old (IMO) to dressup or go crazy, I love sitting there discussing with friends and anyone I meeet, about film, and soaking in the crazy atmosphere. And waitng in line is an insane amount of fun.

Does this feel like you're General Patton planning a campaign!?! It's fun though!
I've sure started marking my calendar!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.