Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*Please do not post any pictures in this thread* ....but hypothetically
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 5:26pm

Post #51 of 61 (282 views)
Shortcut
It does feel slightly wrong that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg has a longer beard than Thorin.

That's a bit embarrassing!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 24 2012, 5:31pm

Post #52 of 61 (287 views)
Shortcut
Is that Rivindell on the front cover? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the cover we see with all the cards laid out in front, there is a different design on the other two pictures. Also, what is all that gold next to Radagast?

Btw, thanks for posting these DanielLB. Smile It might deserve it's own thread though.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 24 2012, 5:32pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 24 2012, 5:36pm

Post #53 of 61 (294 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking (possibly) [In reply to] Can't Post

As I think I've heard others say before, that it is because Thorin is in exile. The fact that Thorin's "did you know?" trivia in the official annual was "the longer the beard the more impressive the dwarf" seems to suggest it could be so. Also, Fili and Kili are the next in line so they have "exile beards" as well.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 5:44pm

Post #54 of 61 (247 views)
Shortcut
I think it's Elrond's library / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 5:51pm

Post #55 of 61 (243 views)
Shortcut
I can't seem to find any way to purchase it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Any ideas? I'm stupid.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 5:54pm

Post #56 of 61 (250 views)
Shortcut
Amazon have it on sale [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

But I can't find how to order it either on that site.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 6:40pm

Post #57 of 61 (231 views)
Shortcut
Oh great, [In reply to] Can't Post

there's an image that's going to stay with me!

In Reply To
He looks like a decaying cast member from Cats.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 6:42pm

Post #58 of 61 (226 views)
Shortcut
At your service! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 6:43pm

Post #59 of 61 (238 views)
Shortcut
Ha I'm not sure I can handle the power! [In reply to] Can't Post

but yes of course. Just trying to avoid deletion. Thanks for asking!

LR

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Sep 24 2012, 10:02pm

Post #60 of 61 (207 views)
Shortcut
The scalp idea seems interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think I'll decide whether I like his appearance or not when we get to see clearer pictures of him. I also find seeing the characters actually move helps a lot.

Yes, my username is terrible.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 5:18am

Post #61 of 61 (213 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how I feel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
as i said in another thread - think it was deleted.

Will wait and see what he looks like in the film as its kinda hard to tell from those images - certainly different, just not sure i like the cat look going on (reminds me of thundercats, haha).

The beard idea is interesting and i wonder if we will be shown or told how he came to acquire it.

Yeah I'm gonna have to wait to see how he fits into the film to make judgement. He certainly looks like a lion to me. I'm not iffy about that.

It's mostly his costume that makes me a bit iffy. It looks a little really strange; almost too fantastical for the realistic historical feel that we've had from all the armor so far. As others have said, I think it looks like he was pulled right out of He-Man or Conan the barbarion. It's a bit cheesy to me, from what we can see. Also, not having the proper context of the surrounding environment kind of adds to the "cheesy" effect of his costume. But we will just have to wait and see how he looks in the film.

I've liked what I've seen from a pic of another warg rider and that other prosthetic based orc we saw in the latest blog. I also like the design of the goblins of goblin town (except they looked a little too Computer Generated in the trailer).

With that said, it looks like we are going to get a good bit of variation in the design of the orcs. We're going to have some that look similar enough to the LOTR style orcs (while maintaining their own unique look), and some very VERY different looking designs (that still have a look to them that says "orc"). And if you go back and watch the trilogy you'll notice that all the "types" of orcs were very different from each other so I don't think these new designs will feel as if continuity is being destroyed.

Overall, I'm quite liking the design work for the orcs. We're are being given stuff that doesn't seem too far removed, yet isn't just a rehash of what we've already seen. This is all just my opinion of course.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Sep 25 2012, 5:20am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.