Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
My one wish for these movies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Terror of the Seas / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 2:45am

Post #26 of 48 (306 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but that's not the point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether or not Peter over-used CGI in any one film does not negate the fact that in the LOTR films, I think he made proper use of CGI in the LOTR films. He has demonstrated that he knows how to use CGI as a tool to tell the story without letting the CGI effects become overwhelming.

You are free to disagree, of course. Since neither of us is Peter Jackson, we can both be right and not be in agreement.

Shelob'sAppetite
Quartermaster

Sep 24 2012, 3:04am

Post #27 of 48 (295 views)
Shortcut
Double negatives are grammatically correct [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as you are not not communicating what you intend to communicate. Smile

Sinister71
Sailing Master

Sep 24 2012, 3:22am

Post #28 of 48 (294 views)
Shortcut
If they were still using miniatures and bigatures [In reply to] Can't Post

instead of trying to do SO much with CGI, I would probably agree with you Entmaiden. But it seems this time around they are replacing many of the practical things they made work very successfully (ala Bigatures and miniatures) with CGI making some complete scenes CGI instead of enhancing what they created with digital effects.... We'll have to wait and see I guess. But IMO they are falling short of what they achieved in LOTR so far. I truly hope as others and myself have said they are still working on the CGI stuff and it will look better when the film is released

Ardamírë
Quartermaster

Sep 24 2012, 3:41am

Post #29 of 48 (268 views)
Shortcut
Thats what I thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

But people have always jumped on the "no double negatives" bandwagon, so I was unsure.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Shelob'sAppetite
Quartermaster

Sep 24 2012, 3:54am

Post #30 of 48 (266 views)
Shortcut
Depends on how you use them [In reply to] Can't Post

There are double negatives that are gramatically correct, and there are double negatives that are not (such as "I don't see no reason not to").

Ardamírë
Quartermaster

Sep 24 2012, 3:59am

Post #31 of 48 (270 views)
Shortcut
Oh no no [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely do no say that, unless it's on purpose or as a joke. For the most part, I'm very conscious about language and how to use it. I just wanted to make sure in this case.

Thanks for the info! Smile

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Quartermaster

Sep 24 2012, 4:03am

Post #32 of 48 (277 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think the 3D and 48 fps have a big part in why there's so much more cgi this time around. Upsetting, if true. I'd have rather they shot on film with 2D 24 fps if it had meant more practical effects and sets and such.

But I am willing to give it a shot and wait until December before crying foul.

Shelob'sAppetite
Quartermaster

Sep 24 2012, 4:04am

Post #33 of 48 (266 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I am fond of certain double negatives...

Great minds! Smile

SirDennisC
First Mate

Sep 24 2012, 4:43am

Post #34 of 48 (301 views)
Shortcut
So a triple-negative makes it a postive? Makes sense I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Solicitr
Able Seaman

Sep 24 2012, 5:16am

Post #35 of 48 (264 views)
Shortcut
Well, 3 PJ Hobbit movies would be a triple negative [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

guitarzankansasfan
Able Seaman

Sep 24 2012, 5:49am

Post #36 of 48 (309 views)
Shortcut
Yo también espero que no incluyen nada del bolso hablador [In reply to] Can't Post

¡Mentira pues! En realidad a mí me gustaría ver a Bolsón sacando el bolso del bolsillo del gnomo.

(translation: I also hope they don't include nothing of the talking purse. I was lying! I'd actually like to see Baggins taking the purse out of the pocket of the troll)

I showed the double negative literally in the English translation but the meaning is actually more like "don't include anything", because double negative is used for an emphasized negative in Spanish. Plus this gave me the chance to use Bolsón, bolso and bolsillo in the same sentence.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

(This post was edited by guitarzankansasfan on Sep 24 2012, 5:58am)

Kendalf
Rigger

Sep 24 2012, 10:12am

Post #37 of 48 (238 views)
Shortcut
Peter has been prone to CGI excess in the past [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I agree it remains to be seen whether he actually will use CGI as a tool and not a gimmick. But I'm hopeful given his history. There are directors who over-use CGI and it seems to me that they don't know how to restrain themselves. Fortunately that's not Peter.

"Fortunately, that's not Peter"? Unsure

I must confess to agreeing with Solicitr; my one hope for the trilogy is that he doesn't go overboard in his use of CGI for CGI's sake. There were innumerable sequences in King Kong that served absolutely no purpose whatsoever other than to showcase Weta's latest software. I'm really, really hoping The Hobbit isn't exploited in a similar fashion.

It's clear we're going to get plenty of CGI for the environments as Jackson's team repeatedly opt for digital (rather than real) models and I'm OK with that; it's the thought of unnecessarily convoluted action sequences with no other purpose than to show off that gets my back up.

Here's hoping.

dave_lf
Gunner

Sep 24 2012, 12:56pm

Post #38 of 48 (211 views)
Shortcut
Sure he would [In reply to] Can't Post

We're talking about someone who penned the line "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve," after all.

DanielLB
Captain

Sep 24 2012, 1:07pm

Post #39 of 48 (198 views)
Shortcut
Like Bilbo, alcohol may have been involved in this bit ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

SirDennisC
First Mate

Sep 24 2012, 2:25pm

Post #40 of 48 (236 views)
Shortcut
Soooo... 3 PJ Hobbit movies is a positive then? I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, at least I don't disagree -- Wait, is disagree a negative? I don't want to start this sub-thread all over again.Angelic

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Solicitr
Able Seaman

Sep 24 2012, 3:28pm

Post #41 of 48 (195 views)
Shortcut
Rephrase: trebly negative? [In reply to] Can't Post

A lower percentage Tolkien-content and increased filler and PJ-byproduct.

Kangi Ska
First Mate

Sep 24 2012, 3:44pm

Post #42 of 48 (202 views)
Shortcut
One who only seeks only the negative is bound to find it [In reply to] Can't Post

or create it if that does not work.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Elenorflower
Gunner

Sep 24 2012, 9:10pm

Post #43 of 48 (144 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

want magic.

Túrin_Turambar
Swabbie

Sep 24 2012, 10:06pm

Post #44 of 48 (127 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there will be talking purse [In reply to] Can't Post

because the trolls in these movies have no pocketses! (at least judging from the trailer)
Thanks for the welcome, Owain. I've been following this board for a little while, but I must have missed the part about Thranduil being cast.

DanielLB
Captain

Sep 25 2012, 7:18am

Post #45 of 48 (113 views)
Shortcut
You don't have to carry a purse in your pocket. It could be a clutch purse! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

ericmvan
Swabbie

Sep 25 2012, 8:11am

Post #46 of 48 (117 views)
Shortcut
From my contemporaneous review of Rankin-Bass [In reply to] Can't Post

"The wood-elves could not be further from Tolkien's conception had they been given walkie-talkies and motor scooters."

(The review began "If J.R.R. Tolkien were alive today, this would surely kill him." Unfortunately, it never ran in the college paper for stupid reasons, and I've lost my draft ... but I remember those two lines!)

I was thrilled when Lee Pace was cast as Thranduil and doubly thrilled when PJ cited not just Pushing Daisies but The Fall as the reason he was cast .. maybe my second favorite TV show of all time (after Buffy) and definitely one of my dozen favorite movies. (If folks have not see The Fall, rush and see it on the biggest possible screen. I think it's the best and most moving examination of the nature of storytelling in any artistic medium.)

Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered -- JRRT, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, Commentary, note 9.

Shelob'sAppetite
Quartermaster

Sep 25 2012, 9:23am

Post #47 of 48 (108 views)
Shortcut
I also love the Fall [In reply to] Can't Post

And Lee Pace's co-star, the adorable Romanian girl, is also a future star!

cameragod
Able Seaman

Sep 26 2012, 9:21am

Post #48 of 48 (132 views)
Shortcut
two wrongs don't make a right [In reply to] Can't Post

But three lefts do... :-)

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.