Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Reactions to the trailer overwhelmingly positive on historically-critical Tolkien site
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 8:56pm

Post #251 of 255 (922 views)
Shortcut
     ---> It's about time to wind this down (reposting for those using threaded mode) [In reply to]  

The discussion has started going around in circles. From the sticky at the top of the board:

3. Agree to Disagree. Part of respecting others' opinions is not always needing to have the last word. If the same point has been made three times by the same people in the same thread and no one is changing their minds, walk away. In all the history of these boards we have never seen anyone suddenly change their mind at this point in a conversation and there is no gain in continuing to try all the other members' patience with endless repetition. You cannot "win" on a matter of personal opinion and nearly all of our conversations are based on exactly that. If the debate is only between two people and both wish to continue it, take it to Private Message.

Thanks!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 9:05pm

Post #252 of 255 (881 views)
Shortcut
     Opinions [In reply to]  

"by making posts insinuating that your opinion is superior to others"

They may be. Or they may not be. Not all opinions are created equal except in the arena of feel-good PC where everyone is enabled to be right in the name of self esteem rather than truth. Most opinions and responses are so full of logical fallacies and game-play that it is beyond human ability to dig ourselves out of the morass. Some opinions are truly better than others.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 24 2012, 10:13pm

Post #253 of 255 (886 views)
Shortcut
     I largely agree with you about Boyens [In reply to]  

Philippa Boyens said,
''Faramir's character is completely static in the books, and thus wouldn't translate well filmically. We wanted to extend his character to give him more of a journey, and it would seem incongruous were Faramir immediately sea-green incorruptible; whereas all other Men in the film (even Aragorn) definitely have to wrestle with their conscience to a greater or lesser extent''.

They actually turned Faramir into a static character in the film. He just became a Boromir Lite.

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 24 2012, 10:34pm

Post #254 of 255 (876 views)
Shortcut
     Don't get me started [In reply to]  

I got into it over Boyens with darkstone last year, but I capitulated because I was beginning to feel wretched at continuing to tear into her. But errg, how she does tug at my last nerve.

Here's one of my faves, from a 2004 Entertainment Weekly:

ON THREE-WAY WRITING "It's always been organic--just a natural fit--because the focus of the room right from the word go is always on the work. We are quite strongly opinionated, all three of us, but we've got respect for each other." HARDEST SCENE TO NAIL "The Council of Elrond [in Fellowship of the Ring] was a nightmare to get right. It's quite a boring thing, really. The information being given there, the audience pretty much already knows. It all had to [lead] to the point where Frodo stepped up to the mark--that was what was going to be most interesting about that scene dramatically. But we had to introduce four new characters and show the dynamics of the group and make sure the tension didn't fall out of the movie and...ooooh, my God!"

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 11:11pm

Post #255 of 255 (900 views)
Shortcut
     I'll Be Lazy [In reply to]  

Too lazy to look it up.

So how did Tolkien handle it worse in the books?

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.