Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
About the crystal table in Rivendell...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 7:45pm

Post #26 of 46 (393 views)
Shortcut
The big crystal [In reply to] Can't Post

is probably grumpy L-rond's equivalent of Galadriel's mirror combined with a light box.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 8:33pm

Post #27 of 46 (380 views)
Shortcut
Less is more, particularly in this case [In reply to] Can't Post

It is far more evocative and authentic to have Elrond hold the map up to the moon, as is done in the book. Having a crystal map-reading device is unnecessarily clumsy and inauthentic, IMO.

I hope this is just a cool prop, and that it has nothing to do with the map reading.

Jettorex
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 8:41pm

Post #28 of 46 (352 views)
Shortcut
Uh-oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Here comes Debbie Downer again!Frown

Just Kidding SA. While i dont agree with most of your posts I actually like reading them!

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 8:44pm

Post #29 of 46 (352 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm trying not to be a downer by hoping that this is not a light box! Hope is positive, no? Smile

I mean, does anyone here really want this to be a lightbox?

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2012, 8:47pm

Post #30 of 46 (360 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly my first thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Was of the moonlight catching the table and giving the first hint of the moonletters, rather than any sort of deliberate device for map reading.

LR

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 8:54pm

Post #31 of 46 (361 views)
Shortcut
choose your cheese [In reply to] Can't Post

• A device (a table here) that interacts with the moonlight to reveal the letters on the right day.
  • Moon letters that can only be read one day of the month (if even that) each year because the moonlight has to be in exactly one precise phase and season: and you're in luck! The day you asked about it just happens to be the day!
  • Elrond can tell they are moon letters of this kind and so he checks them each day, being unsure of when the right phase is - or alternatively - he can tell which phase it needs to be and it happens to be the right season so the dwarves just "hang out" in Rivendell until that day arrives.
  • No moon letters, no interpretation by Elrond, just forget it and wonder why the dwarves kept that entrance secret so long (or hope no one asks).
  • Really change the book and have Thorin or Gandalf be the one who found out about the moon letters one day by accident while carrying around the map (ducks rotten tomatoes).
  • Someone (Thorin or Gandalf most likely) knew about the moon letters and planned the trip to Rivendell just so in order to have their interpretation done by Elrond.
disclaimer: It isn't clear that the table is a device that interprets out-of-season moon letters - it could just be Elrond's style of decor (except that that style isn't repeated elsewhere that I know of)

I guess we will just have to wait to see ... or not ... ?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 9:00pm

Post #32 of 46 (357 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Thrain's key is locked in the ice [In reply to] Can't Post

And Gandalf, Balin, Bilbo and Thorin have to figure out a way to get it out.

Elrond likes team building exercises.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 12:45am

Post #33 of 46 (283 views)
Shortcut
Like I said before, I think it's just a secluded place where he wants to read them [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more of a set-piece, and even if you see the table lighting up when he reads it, that doesn't necessarily have to imply that it was absolutely needed for the process. The selection of accompaniment certainly shows that he only wants to reveal this stuff to a select few, and obviously with some reason to it. This is just a very cool structure of Rivendell they can use for it. I wouldn't expect it to be a "device", though if it is... Well, that will just plain slow down the movie.

Ibrīnišilpathānezel

Sep 22 2012, 2:31am

Post #34 of 46 (259 views)
Shortcut
Imladris [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking this is what made the cleavage in Imladris. Think about what Imladris means in elvish. This is something that fell or blew up and drove into the ground. A shard of something.

(This post was edited by Ibrīnišilpathānezel on Sep 22 2012, 2:31am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 3:35am

Post #35 of 46 (247 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

must you always be a kill joy? how could you not like a huge crystal formation being lit up by the moon?

Owned.

Steerpike
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 7:51am

Post #36 of 46 (238 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps it's a shard of the moon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that broke off for some reason and speared itself into the rock. What better device for reading moon letters than a piece of the moon itself? The moon is made of crystal, right..?

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 22 2012, 8:32am

Post #37 of 46 (208 views)
Shortcut
Just to be clear SA [In reply to] Can't Post

I said what this might be I did not say that was what I hoped it was. I agree with your sentiment, and wanting what is in the book is not a downer.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 8:42am

Post #38 of 46 (239 views)
Shortcut
That suggests the moon (in this mythology) had/has imperfections / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 5:23pm

Post #39 of 46 (169 views)
Shortcut
Statue [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that statue too...and interestingly the figure appears to be holding a round "shield" or "dish" of some kind. It almost looks as if it is strategically placed to reflect something - moonlight? - onto the crystal...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Æ Victoria Monfort

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 6:52pm

Post #40 of 46 (139 views)
Shortcut
Must you [In reply to] Can't Post

Always call people names?

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 8:26pm

Post #41 of 46 (127 views)
Shortcut
Sounds a little like Fort Boyard :P// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 8:27pm

Post #42 of 46 (126 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't phrase it better// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 4:45am

Post #43 of 46 (107 views)
Shortcut
It is Elrond's Arkenstone....very similar if it is part of the mountain. [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 23 2012, 6:54pm

Post #44 of 46 (63 views)
Shortcut
Or ... a Silmaril?! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 7:18pm

Post #45 of 46 (40 views)
Shortcut
Pepper Jack lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm ok if the table reflect the moonlight to allow the letters to be read. If its exactly as in the book that's great and ill love it. I just won't freak out and overreact if the table aides in the process.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 7:48pm

Post #46 of 46 (108 views)
Shortcut
I won't either [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's just another one of those examples of fussing with something and cluttering up what is already beautifully simple. I have been looking forward to the shot of Elrond holding up the map to the moon for a long time!

PJ got the doors of Moria absolutely right, and I hope he does the same here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.