Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TH Hobbiton Vs. LOTR Hobbiton
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lembas_muncher
The Shire

Sep 22 2012, 5:10am

Post #26 of 37 (212 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't put it to words but that's exactly how i see the comparison.. as someone said, post production has added a 'glowy' ethereal effect on the scene, making it look like an airbrushed effect where the LOTR one looks authentically lit..well could it be because of the cloudy-dusky sky from TH's and a sunny one from LOTR? Oh well, i'll have to see it on Dredd 3D to make further judgment. :).

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 6:14am

Post #27 of 37 (200 views)
Shortcut
It persists but is not near as strong as in the example given. [In reply to] Can't Post

I compared the two side-by-side. Alas, my computer skills are not up to doing a screen capture from the player.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 6:44am

Post #28 of 37 (203 views)
Shortcut
Examples [In reply to] Can't Post

Screen captures of the FOTR EE Blu-ray to demonstrate The Green Tint problem have varied widely and are not reliable, if for no other reason than the codecs and color corrections on the way to your monitor are so uncontrolled. Some folks even seem to manipulate the capture to exaggerate the effect when it becomes more obvious than it is in reality. That only serves to discredit the concerns and does no one any favors.

More importantly, lembas_muncher hasn't even confirmed whether the image of FOTR is actually from the EE Blu-ray, so this is potentially meaningless to the issue and just a false representation. For that matter, so could the image from The Hobbit. It is just as prone to all the problem inherent to delivering an image to your monitor.

totoro
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 6:58am

Post #29 of 37 (213 views)
Shortcut
Well, having seen the 3D trailer today [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, I was too blown away to notice an airbrush problem. It seemed like the best 3D I have ever seen and was crystal-clear. I felt like I was back on the farm when I was in Hobbiton, but with more flowers and hills. Beautiful.

lembas_muncher
The Shire

Sep 22 2012, 7:46am

Post #30 of 37 (185 views)
Shortcut
Oh.. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it was shown in Dredd 3d then? :).. then I guess the airbrushed-glowy-brightness is intentional for a more vivid 3d viewing..:)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 12:14pm

Post #31 of 37 (165 views)
Shortcut
I don't think do. [In reply to] Can't Post

They would apply the brightness only to the 3d prints.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 3:49pm

Post #32 of 37 (126 views)
Shortcut
Picture Source [In reply to] Can't Post

lembas_muncher,

It's been asked or mentioned at least twice now, so it seems pertinent that you specify the source of Fellowship of the Ring screencap - which version (TE or EE) and media (DVD or Blu-ray) of the film. And it might be handy to know how you handled both screencaps (codecs, filters, software, processing, jpg quality, etc).

lembas_muncher
The Shire

Sep 22 2012, 4:57pm

Post #33 of 37 (111 views)
Shortcut
Apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi JW, sorry for not citing the source, was caught up by the 3d thing as I was excited to see it in theatersSmile.. actually, the FOTR one was just a screencap from youtube though the one from TH was straight from a 1080p downloaded Quicktime trailer.. there might be a discrepancy in comparison since the LOTR one is of low quality, anyone with a higher Blu-ray or HD screengrab of that LOTR scene can freely post it here. Smile..but judging from the TH screencap, you can easily point out the different aura Shelob is pointing out.. I don't know, with all the Hobbiton shots presented in the trailer, Gandalf's arrival in Hobbiton in FOTR seems like it has a more 'Golden Age of Shire'-feel in it..

narflet
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 5:38pm

Post #34 of 37 (113 views)
Shortcut
BluRay Screencaps [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done these caps directly from the BluRay, and the only thing I've done to them is to crop out the black bars that I got with my capturing software. They do look a lot flatter than the captures from the Hobbit trailer, like the contrast needs punching up a bit. And even though they've come from a BluRay disc the resolution is still much lower because of being filmed on film. The Hobbit caps are copied from this site (I've used a slightly different one than the op). Click any image to embiggen.

The shot from the Hobbit is filmed from much lower down, almost on the ground it feels like, and from FotR it's higher so I've taken the cap from the start of the shot when the camera is at its lowest - but it's still a very different angle. I've also included a shot from RotK, of the same location. This is also shot from higher up, but you can actually see more of the same landmarks as the shot from the Hobbit trailer than you can in the FotR shot (because the cart is blocking most of it). The colours from the RotK cap also seem closer to the Hobbit shot, and it looks of higher quality than the FotR transfer - I can see more detail in it. Don't know why that is.

I've also done another comparison, which is the closest I've found to an identical angle. Again, the FotR shot look much flatter and of lower quality. One thing that stands out, to me, from the comparison shots, is how different the pathways are. In the LotR films they're wide, clear, and well-used looking. In the Hobbit, they're overgrown and thus look narrower. They've only got a few stones dotted about to indicate that they're a pathway, but they feel more like well-worn tracks that have become pathways rather than the made roads that they are in LotR.

narflet
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 5:40pm

Post #35 of 37 (98 views)
Shortcut
I posted one, see below. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 5:54pm

Post #36 of 37 (99 views)
Shortcut
Thanks much!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 22 2012, 7:36pm

Post #37 of 37 (158 views)
Shortcut
If I had one critisism [In reply to] Can't Post

of Rivendell in Fellowship, it was the deep orange glow. It was too much. A toned down golden glow would be better, and I assume in the Hobbit from seeing the trailer that this in fact is the result, a golden pinky sky, which I loved the look of. However no golden glow can make Galadriel look any younger, she really does look 10 years older, bless.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.