Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Friday and happy Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mar
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 4:58pm

Post #26 of 40 (138 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you here ~ enjoy your sunny day and sunny life. / [In reply to] Can't Post

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 5:10pm

Post #27 of 40 (150 views)
Shortcut
Um, not really sure [In reply to] Can't Post

What is TMI? Whatever it is, camomile tea sounds yummy, so here's a nice, hot cup!

Have a good one, Eowyn! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 5:11pm

Post #28 of 40 (155 views)
Shortcut
Well met, indeed, Mar! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like both life, and the weather (and the fruit trees) are treating you well. Good to hear.

Have a good yoga sesh, a good weekend, and we hope to see you back soon! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 5:12pm

Post #29 of 40 (160 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday, Happy Fiesta and Happy Hobbit Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good day all around. I am completing Phase I of a big home project this weekend, and can't wait to move to Phase II.

Last summer, my neighborhood had a group yard sale and a bunch of us in my condo association participated. We had lots of fun and ended up buying as much from each other as we sold to visitors. One of my neighbors pulled out three interior doors that she had rescued from a dumpster. The doors were original to our building (1893) but the developer discarded them when the apartments were renovated and sold as condominiums. I hated the idea of those doors leaving our building, so I bought all three.

The doors were in great shape, but they have been painted several times. I wanted to take all the paint off and see what I had, and then decide how to finish them. This weekend I will finish getting rid of all the paint from the third door and sanding that door, then I'll be done with Phase I!

I have two doors with glass panels, and I think they are maple, then one solid oak door. I don't have any of the hardware, but all the glass is intact. The glass panel doors will become closet doors, and the solid oak door will become a door into my den. My ceilings are over 10 feet, and the doors aren't that tall, so I will put vintage stained glass panels over the top.

Phase II entails getting bids from carpenters to install the door frames, finishing the doors with some stain, finding the hardware and hanging the doors.

During Phase III, I'll find and install the glass.

I'm really glad to be done with the first phase, although I've had a lot of fun. I've made an enormous mess, but I've met many of my neighbors as they stopped to see what I was doing. This has taken me a year because I have to do it outside on weekends, and finding weekends where the weather is good and I'm not busy or out of town has been tough. I had to stop over the winter because the stripper material doesn't work in cold temperatures, and this summer has been too hot to work outside much. But I'll be done this weekend and I'm so excited.

I created an album of my pictures here.

Oh, and the weather turned colder this week, so a nice scotch, neat, would do well. I can serve myself if necessary - I know where we keep the good stuff. Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 5:16pm

Post #30 of 40 (140 views)
Shortcut
I always love a good mystery [In reply to] Can't Post

my first thought was TMI = Too Much Information

But I think she provided the other option in her post = Three Mile Island

a quick look on Google News provides this story:
50 Peach Bottom workers exposed to contamination
http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_21524305/50-peach-bottom-workers-exposed-contamination

and further investigation reveals Peach Bottom is in Pennsylvania which could be connected to the Penn Woods in Eowyn's nick. :-)

How'd I do, Eowyn?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 5:25pm

Post #31 of 40 (165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing your door project! [In reply to] Can't Post

It must be door day. When I walked downtown to get lunch I traveled on my favorite street in our historic town & was noticing all the great doors. I had my camera & almost took some pictures but I had my lunch in a bag & was too hungry to stop. Another day...

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 5:46pm

Post #32 of 40 (165 views)
Shortcut
Chamomile is an excellent choice! Or Lady Grey... [In reply to] Can't Post

but don't forget the seedcake! Wink

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 5:49pm

Post #33 of 40 (136 views)
Shortcut
Remember a few years ago when photos of letters from business signs made into artwork was popular? [In reply to] Can't Post

I took pictures of letters on businesses in my town to spell out the word "joy" and put it in a three-opening frame. It looks really cute. I think the door pictures would make interesting artwork.

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 6:01pm

Post #34 of 40 (176 views)
Shortcut
Late for the party! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's official - As of today I'm an advanced first aider ...

God help anyone I find! Coupled with The Hobbit trailer, I probably wasn't concentrating enough Wink

Now I have sea training on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Have a great weekend Altaira Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 6:32pm

Post #35 of 40 (147 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I do occasionally like to remind people of what many of us still consider the original TMI! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Three Mile Island nuclear power plant near Harrisburg had an automatic shutdown yesterday. I always give that place the eye when crossing the Susquehanna River up there. We don't want any more adventures of the 1979 kind, thank you!

The Peach Bottom atomic power station is on the Susquehanna near the Maryland border, between York and Lancaster, and hopefully will never have another 15 minutes of fame. *crosses fingers* Yeah, the Keystone State doesn't exactly have the best record when it comes to radioactive technology. *sigh*

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 21 2012, 6:39pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 8:42pm

Post #36 of 40 (127 views)
Shortcut
A special weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

The weekend, the equinox, World Hobbit Day, I just finished my first attempt at a sampler quilt - and there's no beer in the house! Hmph. Must remedy that for tomorrow night. Happy weekend, to one and all! Cheers!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 9:01pm

Post #37 of 40 (124 views)
Shortcut
*zooms over* [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe I've found my perfect spot at the bar. Wink

*opens a keg of 1420* To the Professor!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 9:02pm

Post #38 of 40 (119 views)
Shortcut
Good grief. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that situation sorts itself out quickly, for everyone involved.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

OiotŠri
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 9:59pm

Post #39 of 40 (143 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitty Greetings [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how many ts to put in hobbitty, but no matter...

The semester started a couple weeks ago and is now going in full force. I'm now living in a campus owned house with 3 other religion majors (well, 2 majors and a minor) and we are having a fantastic time.

Took the GRE last weekend. That was a fun way to spend 5 hours of my Saturday Crazy At least I got great scores, not that physics grad schools care about your general scores so long as you don't bomb the test. Man, it's hard to convince myself to study for the physics subject test (that's in mid October)

The boyfriend of one of my best friends is hosting a Hobbit Day party tomorrow, so I'll go to that. Apparently its his attempt to get his friends to socialize Tongue

Anywho... I've talked enough. I'll just grab a glass of wine and be quiet.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 11:38pm

Post #40 of 40 (206 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's not like it didn't happen *last month*, too, while in manual shutdown for repairs. :/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a thought: why not just replace ALL THE THINGS! while you're in there? But at least nobody was asleep.

Really, what's a little bit of measurable-but-acceptable contamination at the Peach Bottom plant when it's infamous for its history of guards and operators sleeping. on. the. job?

We have enough to worry about from the outside. :/

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 21 2012, 11:47pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.