Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hmm

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 12:13pm

Views: 121
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

- there are many copies of TH in the geordie library - Here's one; a lovely copy, one of only 600 in the world, signed by Alan Lee.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=24850

Two others of which I'm very fond are a 1st ed, 4th printing of 1946; and a copy of the 1951 Hobbit - this is the 2nd ed. 1st printing, also marked as the 5th printing overall. These two make a nice contrast; though they have the same cover design, and dustwrapper design, they are markedly different. For this is where Tolkien's text goes from 310 pages to 315 - Tolkien had re-written Ch.5, 'Riddles in the Dark', in order to make Gollum's character more in keeping with LotR.

The thing is that T. sent the revised chapter to Allen & Unwin in 1947 and then, having heard nothing back, forgot about it. He hadn't intended that they should print it; he just wanted to know what they thought of it, so he was surprised to see it in print when A&U sent him the proofs of the 2nd ed., in 1950. (see Letters no. 111, and 128-130).

Tolkien felt obliged to add a note to the 2nd ed, to the effect that Bilbo had fibbed to the dwarves about how he got away from Gollum, and now this is the real story.

All very amusing, actually.

Smile

Subject User Time
** World Hobbit Day ** Get your party hats and then tell us about your favorite Hobbit edition or illustration Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 21 2012, 3:46pm
    I only own one copy, One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 21 2012, 4:12pm
        This was the first edition I got! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 21 2012, 6:07pm
            Neat! One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 22 2012, 3:33am
    Favorite Hobbit book editions SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Sep 21 2012, 7:16pm
    I picked up at a garage sale silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Sep 21 2012, 11:05pm
    Dare I say it? weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 3:04am
        Now that I've A Babo'd myself, I'll answer the question! weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 3:14am
            Hobbits are indeed resilient, aren't they? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 22 2012, 3:34am
                now, let's just see if I can figure out how to do it again sometime! weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 3:38am
            Holy Toledo... One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 22 2012, 3:37am
                ha! well, you know what this means... weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 4:04am
                    Certainly can't argue with that! // One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 22 2012, 12:47pm
    Five, and then some! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 22 2012, 3:07am
    My hobbity journey grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Sep 22 2012, 3:35pm
        That is...awe-inspiring. dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 22 2012, 5:04pm
    my Hobbit history Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 22 2012, 6:44pm
    Refreshing your browser while viewing posts with footers in them could prove enlightening. :-) // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 22 2012, 9:29pm
        I just noticed that! Neat! Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Sep 22 2012, 10:18pm
        I've only just noticed that they've changed! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 23 2012, 10:09pm
    The copy i have always wanted imin Send a private message to imin Sep 23 2012, 4:55pm
    Take a look at the entire collection of footers Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 24 2012, 12:35am
        Just when I thought you'd outdone yourself grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Sep 24 2012, 12:51am
        Gosh, you think of everything! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Sep 24 2012, 1:56am
        *Mods up*! Three Cheers for Magpie for helping us get dressed up for the occasion! weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 24 2012, 4:49am
    Hmm geordie Send a private message to geordie Sep 24 2012, 12:13pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.