Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Personally I Don't Mind If A lot Of Shore's Music Is Re-Used From LOTR

MartyB
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 11:13am

Post #1 of 13 (830 views)
Shortcut
Personally I Don't Mind If A lot Of Shore's Music Is Re-Used From LOTR Can't Post

Hi all,

I wouldn't mind if a lot of the music in the Hobbit is re-used from The Lord of the Rings movies. Why fix it, if it isn't broken? The Shire wouldn't be the same with different music, Rivendell wouldn't be the same etc. I wouldn't even mind if the music on the Misty Mountains is the same as from before the Fellowship get to Moria in the old films.

(This post was edited by MartyB on Sep 21 2012, 11:18am)

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 11:58am

Post #2 of 13 (374 views)
Shortcut
Some parts will probably be used again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some parts can definitely be reused. More like little variations through out. I think, for me at least, it will be more immersive. Locations which are already familiar to us will definitely contain music with a similar style as in the lotr films. But some new themes are more than welcome and I cant wait to hear what mr Shore has in store for us :-)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 12:52pm

Post #3 of 13 (328 views)
Shortcut
some, not lot [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe just a few themes like the ring theme or concerning hobbits, etc.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 1:42pm

Post #4 of 13 (293 views)
Shortcut
I hope it will be a mix [In reply to] Can't Post

While I am looking forward to hearing hear new themes for new places and characters, etc., I am also looking forward to hearing hints and beginnings in TH of themes that appear in their full blown form later on in the LOTR trilogy.

More ME music from HS is going to be a thrill, period. When I heard TH was going to be three films, my first thought was, "Yay! More HS music!" :).

I hope we can somehow hear more of Dwarrowdelf or a hint of it somewhere.

I can't wait to discuss the score after the movie release!! Wouldn't it be great if the score (LOTR & TH) got its own board here at TORn?

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Sep 21 2012, 1:52pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 13 (270 views)
Shortcut
I bet most will be new music... [In reply to] Can't Post

...some might be variations of old themes.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 13 (221 views)
Shortcut
Are you talking exactly the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or that you wouldn't mind if there were variations on the same theme's?

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 3:34pm

Post #7 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
I don't think anything should be fully used [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd be happy for hints.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to new stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but wouldn't mind it if a little bit of LOTR sound creeps in.

For instance, when they lay eyes on Rivendell for the first time it wouldn't be beyond reason to have some flourishes of the elven themed music woven into whatever new stuff Howard Shore has come up with. Same goes with scene in the Shire, and even (especially?) a little of 'Gollems song' creeping to the forefront during Riddles In the Dark.

However, if some of the LOTR stuff is brought in I'd prefer that it be fleeting. I would much more prefer to hear new music from Howard Shore, as I have all of his LOTR track on my Ipod and can listen to it whenever I want. Wink

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 11:05pm

Post #9 of 13 (131 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

and if anything Howard Shore knows how to develop a theme! Remember the first bits of the Gondor theme in Fellowship then it being fully resolved by the time we get to ROTK. Beautiful stuff.

If the first trailer Dwarven song is any indication we are in for a real treat music-wise from Mister Shore.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 11:33pm

Post #10 of 13 (128 views)
Shortcut
You do know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I started a music thread 2 days ago. It's now fallen to pg 2....I thought I had some good ideas in it....Unsure

You all do also know, that if Shore revistis any of his LOTE music in even a minor way, it will most likely kill any chances he has of getting Oscar recognition. The Music Branch of the Academy are a notoriously fickle bunch and there is a strict rule that no score may be nominated if it contains "samples" of other work. It has to be an ORIGIONAL score, you see.
And they're strict--the only time they've bent this rule is for scores for pictues that are front-runners for the Best Picture prize, not just nominees. Such as The King's Speech.

Shore may be in the "upper echelon" but I have a feeling that some may have it out for Jackson, who swept everything with a--that dirty word to AMPAS these days--*franchise*--8 yrs ago.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 1:45am

Post #11 of 13 (125 views)
Shortcut
Perfecct Pitch!..Sunflower..YeahYou? [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally all these TORn
pitched battles
STEM from
No Howard?
In the
TRAILERS?

RELAX

" Mister Hobbit Music Master "
Izz a little's busy...

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 1:55am

Post #12 of 13 (124 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad someone said this! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my attitude for the whole trilogy. Something new is a good thing. They're telling us a new tale about a place with which we are familiar and that we already love. I won't mind if they drag LOTR stuff into these tales, but they don't necessarily have to to get my attention. I'll be happy either way.

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

eralkfang
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 5:54pm

Post #13 of 13 (111 views)
Shortcut
Some themes will be re-used, of course… [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of the joy of having Shore back for these films is that he can make the scores link while still being astonishingly inventive. Obviously, the Shire and Rivendell themes will be re-used, as they're already established, but I'm very much looking forward to his work on cultures new to us, especially given the brief look at Laketown we had last week.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.