Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
To spam complaints or not to spam complaints, that is the question.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 7:04pm

Post #1 of 19 (617 views)
Shortcut
To spam complaints or not to spam complaints, that is the question. Can't Post

From a previous post of mine that wandered into the very nature of complaints....

I can understand the logic behind those who nerd rage over the nerd rage. I have to willfully avoid it myself - like with Mass Effect 3. I check the boards over there every once and a while to see if they've changed their minds on the ending (which is atrocious and wastes 150+ hours of playing the whole series), but I have to restrain myself from complaining repeatedly about that ending. But I don't complain repeatedly because I know that when people were complaining repeatedly about Mass Effect 2, it annoyed me with the negativity and I wondered why these people would hang around to spam complaints.

So yes, I wonder why people hang around to mostly complain. I use to chalk it up to people trolling. But maybe I understand it a little.

Mostly, I just confuse myself.

Perhaps I should post in the feedback forum (edit: which I am doing now, yay!) and ask the moderators to moderate complaint spamming better... but then I was once a moderator and I know they can't be everywhere at once. But then I notice that if I can pick up on the same people complaining about the same stuff all the time then why can't they...

And then I note that other people's opinions really don't affect how I feel about something. Seriously, people hated Dragon Age 2, but I played it and I dug it. In the end, it doesn't really matter if someone disagree's with me on The Hobbit trailers. I suppose it just gets annoying when I regard it as spam... when they seem to make an effort to get that dig in on multiple threads.

So please, moderators, I don't think we should keep people from complaining. What I DO think should be moderated is the spamming of those complaints. For those who don't know what I mean by spamming I mean this - you repeat your complaint about a subject over and over again and/or spread it over multiple threads. Please, stop. Anyone who spends a moderate amount of time on the board gets your opinion. Loud and clear.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 7:12pm

Post #2 of 19 (328 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, quitcher complainin'! [In reply to] Can't Post

JUST kidding! Cool

I know what you mean though. That's why I stick mostly to DanielLB's Hobbit round up thread on Main.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20 2012, 7:16pm

Post #3 of 19 (307 views)
Shortcut
Yep, [In reply to] Can't Post

that comes under our 'no haranguing' rule. Complaints (or even positive comments) are fine, but repeatedly banging on about the same topic isn't welcome, and we will pull aside those who are adversely affecting the discussion boards for a reminder to ease off.

It's harder to keep up with when there are so many new threads every day, but we're working on it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 7:21pm

Post #4 of 19 (304 views)
Shortcut
I just *really* like the talking Purse [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry Tongue

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 7:31pm

Post #5 of 19 (296 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate you listening (reading) and I appreciate your efforts. // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 8:41pm

Post #6 of 19 (285 views)
Shortcut
Rules [In reply to] Can't Post

The more rules you have the busier you become. Every enforcement entity knows this, civilized or not.

Or as Princess Leia once said "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." Wink

You can do your best, but we shouldn't expect total perfection. Not only should there be tolerance of the people by enforcement, but also tolerance of enforcement by the people. If folks are rational. Sometime they're not. So it's about moderation (in the balanced sense of the word).

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 12:59am

Post #7 of 19 (262 views)
Shortcut
Hear Hear! And what we have Here! :) But I [In reply to] Can't Post

do understand what Tim is saying. It's just overwhelming right now form the sheer numbers, I think.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 1:02am

Post #8 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed that too, and [In reply to] Can't Post

it's made me reluctant to post in the Hobbit Forum at all. I just think the boards are so inundated right now that it's impossible to keep up with, Admin-wise. But I'm glad you are back these days. I enjoy reading your posts!Smile

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Sep 21 2012, 1:02am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 3:25am

Post #9 of 19 (274 views)
Shortcut
Golly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it's made me reluctant to post in the Hobbit Forum at all. I just think the boards are so inundated right now that it's impossible to keep up with, Admin-wise. But I'm glad you are back these days. I enjoy reading your posts!Smile

Thank you!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 3:26am

Post #10 of 19 (296 views)
Shortcut
No soup for you! Two year! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 7:16am

Post #11 of 19 (251 views)
Shortcut
Marvellous! I don't like soup anyway! :-P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 3:35pm

Post #12 of 19 (262 views)
Shortcut
Wait, I don't either... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gorbag
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 4:38pm

Post #13 of 19 (247 views)
Shortcut
The negativity does get annoying. [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely understand your feelings Tim. Its pretty much why i post very little these days.

There are corners of the board that without even reading their posts, and just seeing there names on a thread, i almost always know what they are going to say will be negative. They are more than welcome to have those views, that isnt the issue. It just gets rather boring when they keep having to remind people for their distaste for x or y in almost every thread. If i disliked something a thread was about, i wouldnt feel the need to keep telling people how much i hate x or y, i just wouldnt post in the thread.

Thats not to say that hearing views for and against things isnt intresting, its just when it becomes predictable it gets boring.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 5:13pm

Post #14 of 19 (245 views)
Shortcut
Something I've come to realize about 'discussions' [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that a post - a comment - a reply... can either promote further discussion or shut it down.

It's a really interesting context by which to consider what someone has written... or what we, ourselves, are writing.

If a post is not - at the heart of it - welcoming a true, calm discussion - it will, sooner or later, shut the conversation down. Or never allow it to get off the ground in any productive manner.

I have all sorts of interesting and productive discussions with people I disagree with. Sometimes I come around to their way of thinking. Sometimes I don't but I grow to understand why they think the way they do. Sometimes I don't do either, but it was an interesting interlude while we tried to find common ground. But in all those situations, as much effort was extended in listening and understanding the other parties as explaining (with calm care and consideration) their own viewpoint. The parties entered into the discussion wanting to hear what other people said. They entered in wanting to learn something. And because they wanted that, they tried to make the other people feel valued and respected and comfortable.

When someone is not interested in listening to others, when someone has no intention of changing their mind, they are not invested in making other people feel comfortable, valued, or respected. And if they are most interested in declaring their opinion 'the winner' or 'the truth', their tactic of choice will be to actively shut down other opinions and voices. They will move one step beyond not caring about others to being openly (or slyly) antagonistic.

This style of discussion is not found within one 'side' or 'viewpoint' or 'opinion'. It is found across the range of opinions or viewpoints... with people I agree with and people I disagree with.

When I TA-ed the online course of LOTR at Barnes and Noble University, I started to understand how this dynamic worked. "YOU'RE WRONG" shut the conversation down. "I'm not sure where you got that info" or "Can you explain why you think that" or "I see that quite differently" usually kept the conversation going.

Sometimes people with good hearts and intentions can, in their enthusiasm, communicate in less than effective ways. Those people usually respond to calm, reasoned replies and will start to communicate and discuss in more effective ways as they see they don't have to argue a position to discuss it.

But some people either can't see the dynamic of how they shut things down, or don't care that they do, or are actually seeking to shut it down - either to 'win' or just for the sport of it.

If someone's behavior in a discussion works to stop communication, then why bother? If someone is dragging their feet on the sled, it's not much fun going sledding with them. I'll find another sled and other sled mates to go down the hill with. Especially since there are so many people I know... and many I'm sure to meet, that I'll have a great day on the slopes with.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 5:25pm

Post #15 of 19 (222 views)
Shortcut
What Gorbag said! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 5:34pm

Post #16 of 19 (219 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is annoying [In reply to] Can't Post

I think everyone is passionate about these films and about Tolkien, however the passion is not always articulated and shared in a way that promotes good discussion. The admins have a number of plans in place to try to improve the atmosphere on the Hobbit board and bring back those folks who are currently avoiding it, so hopefully you will give it another chance.

We know there are some folks who will continue to avoid the Hobbit board for fear of being spoiled, and that is another problem we are incorporating in our plans.

Thanks for expressing your concerns - it helps us a lot.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 5:37pm

Post #17 of 19 (260 views)
Shortcut
Great points, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

It is amazing how a slightly different way of expressing ourselves can have a huge impact on the tone of a discussion.Smile

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2012, 5:59pm

Post #18 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
Predictable [In reply to] Can't Post

It is predictable to old folks. It is not predictable to new folks. The continuous, and I posit - amnesiatic, nature of forums is to rehash old topics for new people - even in the same thread. Otherwise, it becomes something for elites and a display of power over those who are not elevated to a higher standing by their lack of seniority.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 24 2012, 6:02pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 10:21am

Post #19 of 19 (379 views)
Shortcut
You said it perfectly Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

If a post is not - at the heart of it - welcoming a true, calm discussion - it will, sooner or later, shut the conversation down. Or never allow it to get off the ground in any productive manner.

I think what you said is really worth keeping in mind. A good post should be something that elicits a thought and, perhaps, even a response, thus furthering the discussion. Otherwise, what's the point?

Another aspect of posting, personally for me, is its reflection on the personality of the poster. Based on your posts, I know I'd love to meet you in person, because I know I could have a great conversation with you. The same goes for so many other folks here on TORn Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.