Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The 'unofficial' NOT disappointed thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 3:53pm

Post #101 of 121 (849 views)
Shortcut
Do you all think we'll get something new from WB/PJ today? [In reply to] Can't Post

architecthis
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 3:55pm

Post #102 of 121 (788 views)
Shortcut
was wondering this myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he had something about giving us the trailer and some additional footage, but he may have been referring to the extra endings?

I'm hoping for a production log

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:07pm

Post #103 of 121 (781 views)
Shortcut
Hope we get something [In reply to] Can't Post

It's 4 AM on a Saturday in New Zealand right now, so if there is anything to come we'll probably have to wait several hours.

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 21 2012, 4:07pm)

architecthis
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 4:17pm

Post #104 of 121 (734 views)
Shortcut
that may explain it [In reply to] Can't Post

It is after noon here on the east coast in the states so I was thinking it was getting late but apparently it's not even Saturday yet where you are! haha, I will check back in a few hours

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:21pm

Post #105 of 121 (676 views)
Shortcut
Almost 6:30PM here [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Olafr

Sep 21 2012, 4:23pm

Post #106 of 121 (813 views)
Shortcut
I liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The new trailer got me excited and I cant wait till Dec 14th!

I do think that the Hobbit will be just like LOTR in that
1) It will be an awesome fantasy/adventure movie
2) PJ & Co will totally butcher Tolkien, but there will be those moments when they do get it right which will make forgive them for a lot of stuff.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 5:47pm

Post #107 of 121 (766 views)
Shortcut
Never exactly like my vision of TH, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I too do not comment often, but do read the threads to see other's views. I did want to add my two farthings to the movie discussion however.

I first read the Hobbit over 40 years ago, and of course have my own vision of what Middle-Earth and the characters in it would look like. A lot of my visions are from Tolkien's own illustrations, and those still stick with me.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed LOTR--although not exactly how I envisioned Middle-Earth, and with obvious changes and quotes being used by characters who didn't originally say them (Galadriel's narrative "the world is changing" was originally Treebeard's), I realized that to be effective as a movie for modern audiences, things did need to be changed. I do my best not to pick the movies to pieces, and try to enjoy them in the spirit in which they were made. No one will be 100% happy with the movies, based on their own inner visions, but this is as close as it will get.

I must admit a certain fondness for the Rankin-Bass version of TH, as it was the first major attempt to do so. Although the Dwarves and Bilbo were a bit silly (Balin with glasses!), and I recognized a lot of the voices from other animation (Dr. Quest as Bard!), I was so happy that the Hobbit was finally brought to life. And I suspect PJ's Hobbit will be the same--it may not be my inner vision, but will still be glorious, silly, frightening, and impressive and still--the Hobbit!. I can't wait!

As for the trailer, I've now watched it about a dozen times, and find it absolutely wonderful. I've read people's posts on whether it's too much like LOTR, or not enough, or too silly, or too dark, or too much like a video game (or not enough). I find I don't care! After waiting so long for a really good live-action version of the Hobbit, I am in bliss that it is happening, and couldn't be more delighted.

So, my apologies to any critics, I'm not wanting to deny your objections and critiques, but as a long-time Tolkien fan (maybe longer than some of you have been alive) I am thrilled with the trailer and will be thrilled with the movie.

And by the way, LOVE the Great Goblin!

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.

"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

architecthis
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 5:50pm

Post #108 of 121 (813 views)
Shortcut
Could not agree more NT [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 6:15pm

Post #109 of 121 (740 views)
Shortcut
Not another TORn meltdown! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 7:20pm

Post #110 of 121 (792 views)
Shortcut
I hope NT means... [In reply to] Can't Post

something good?

"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 7:23pm

Post #111 of 121 (797 views)
Shortcut
It means "no text" [In reply to] Can't Post

Used when there is no text in the post, only in the subject line. Smile

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 7:35pm

Post #112 of 121 (701 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! NT :) [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2012, 8:03pm

Post #113 of 121 (820 views)
Shortcut
Subject Lines [In reply to] Can't Post

The use of the subject line as a message or to be the first partial sentence of a post's body text is one of the most, if not *the* most, annoying community habits here on the forums. The latter making quotes something of a hassle. What's wrong with being creative enough to think of a good subject to go with a complete message body? Yes, yes, then you don't have to waste time by clicking on the post. Big deal. It's still even more annoying than The Green Tint.

Jettorex
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 8:32pm

Post #114 of 121 (774 views)
Shortcut
"WAAAA. WAAAAA. WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

^sound of baby crying^

Hows that?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 8:53pm

Post #115 of 121 (710 views)
Shortcut
but there is also never any feeling of dread [In reply to] Can't Post

with Gollum hopping around all happy and peppy. It defeats the whole purpose of the scene. which is to be scared and filled with tension. little bits of humor sure, but not oh my god this is so funny humor. which is the route that Peter Jackson seems to be going with this version of Gollum. I was never once saying keep him in the shadows so he can't be seen. Just keep him in subtle shadows enough to show off his features but keep his demeanor the same as Tolkien wrote it. He was a dark skulking creature who lived in the darkness... He meant to murder Bilbo either way whether or not Gollum won or lost the riddle game. He only showed Bilbo the way out because he thought Bilbo already knew it and he couldn't find him. Bilbo simply followed him there to escape.Peppy Happy Gollum is just all wrong for the scene from the book and all they are trying to do is show him off instead of following the actual story... That and the dialogue is too close to Gollum with Sam and Frodo about leading them into Mordor. Seriously PJ couldn't write anything better than what he already wrote 10 plus years ago? Or here's an original idea how about using the dialogue from the book... WOW theres a shocker something that might actually work and be iconic just like the scene is supposed to be. But I guess using Tolkien's dialogue in a movie based on Tolkien's book would be too much to ask wouldn't it Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 8:56pm

Post #116 of 121 (739 views)
Shortcut
I think the complete opposite! [In reply to] Can't Post

I get annoyed when it isn't used Wink

It's the first thing you read, make it part of the sentence! Plus, for those guys that are reading it threaded, a "generic title" doesn't do much good.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 11:01pm

Post #117 of 121 (688 views)
Shortcut
Now wait! LOTIP [In reply to] Can't Post

(LOTIP = Lots of text in post, just so you know).

I learned a valuable skill, and am not ready to relinquish this power so easily. What if I like saving the time to not read one of the many endless discussion of various (and occasionally dubious) importance? Here I was thinking maybe NT meant "no trouble" or "not true" or maybe "new trailer"! (which would have been pretty awesome).

Then again, I suspect I'd better stop here before I get booted to OFF TOPIC like Bombadil.

Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 2:00am

Post #118 of 121 (682 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is too early to say. We've seen what, less than a minute of a 20 minute scene? The scene begins with Bilbo at the end of his wits (and the trail he was following), recovering from a bump on the head. Also he was rather more comfortable than humans would be under ground, and upon meeting Gollum was only "anxious" because he wasn't sure of the creature's alignment be it chaotic good, neutral, lawful evil and so on... nah, he wasn't sure if Gollum was a friend of the Goblins or not. Tolkien says nothing about him being frightened by him though. At least not at first.

Keep in mind too that Gollum was trying to appear friendly, at least until he found out more about Bilbo and his sword.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 22 2012, 2:02am)

totoro
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 6:26am

Post #119 of 121 (646 views)
Shortcut
I just watched the Gollum scene again [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this is supposed to be the NOT disappointed thread, but I noticed something that I think is going to ruin the film for me. Gollum has more than 6 teeth. Seriously! Count them! Gollum said he had 6 in the book and PJ is just going for spectacle by putting at least 7 in Gollum's mouth. Well, we'll just have to see if the movie isn't as bad as I am pretty sure it will be now.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 1:58pm

Post #120 of 121 (573 views)
Shortcut
Yes yes YES!!!! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the Sting ending in particular especially when Balin describes to Bilbo about Sting being a Letter Opener lol! And I'm really digging Ken Stott and his Scottish accent as Balin as well. I am going to love that character.

And say what you will about the Goblin King(?) fallin on the Dwarves - I really did find it funny!!!! :D

Alternate Endings aside - Radagast's Rabbit Sled was SWEET!!! :)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 2:33am

Post #121 of 121 (547 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you, Sunflower! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I was at the Vancouver International Film Festival for the past two weeks, immersed in foreign cinema, and wasn't online much.

Judging from both trailers, The Hobbit looks like it's keeping up the same "overdesign" that we saw in LOTR, and I think it will fit in well with its sequel. I'm sure I'll disagree with some decisions, as I did with LOTR, but I expect to enjoy The Hobbit just as much.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.