Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thoughts on The Great Goblin?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Sep 21 2012, 4:18pm

Post #76 of 83 (237 views)
My votes in for 'Razor Sharp Boomerang' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First off the Great Goblin is not called King in the text. Secondly Goblins are not too bright. Keeping with the lighter nature of the Hobbit in general the Great Goblin should not be taken seriously as an enemy. How ever I am curious as to what has been worked out to cause his death. If not a thrust from Glamdring then what?

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 1:02am

Post #77 of 83 (181 views)
its not a personal attack at all [In reply to] Can't Post

just because you have your own personal vision of the character while reading the book should not mean when it is adapted into a film and it doesn't look exactly how you would like it to be that it is automatically "horrible" and PJ has no talent.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Sep 22 2012, 1:04am)

Sep 22 2012, 4:07am

Post #78 of 83 (182 views)
Actually, he did.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But you have been almost certainly misinformed. Nowhere does Tolkien suggest that the Great Goblin is one of the Maiar.

Did Rateliff suggest something along these lines in the Annotated Hobbit?

I posted about this a while back during the whole Zombie Azog speculation: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=481992#481992

While I cited Rateliff's proposition that Azog, Bolg, and GG may have been "Boldogs," Tolkien himself did, I believe, propose the same possibility in a letter to his son. I'll see if I can dig up the reference.

I never did warm up to some of the things Tolkien postulated in those late essays.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Sep 22 2012, 6:41am

Post #79 of 83 (173 views)
Noted [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't suggest that a person who wants PJ to read his mind and then do as telepathically instructed should get psychological help? I promise to never make such a suggestion again.

I am now sending telepathic commands. Do not deviate from your instructions. This means you, whoever is reading this!

Oh, and PJ, get your mind over here. I have a thing or to to inject into your brain, my friend. We're going to start with time warping to get those damn elves out of Helm's Deep.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 12:29pm

Post #80 of 83 (137 views)
I think it may be the quote from HOME [In reply to] Can't Post

"For Morgoth had many servants, the oldest and most potent of whom were immortal, belonging indeed in their beginning to the Maiar; and these evil spirits like their Master could take on visible forms. Those whose business it was to direct the Orcs often took Orkish shapes, though they were greater and more terrible.Thus it was that the histories speak of Great Orcs or Orc- captains who were not slain, and who reappeared in battle through years far longer than the span of the lives of Men."

Now of course this does not specifically mention the GG by name but he would be a possibility.

Sep 22 2012, 5:40pm

Post #81 of 83 (136 views)
So you're saying there is a chance.... lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that before myself. It would make sense why some Orcs or Goblins were greater and larger than others as Morgoth wanted every advantage he could get in his war. So if they were not slain they would be around as Sauron because the #1 guy.

Sep 24 2012, 11:46pm

Post #82 of 83 (107 views)
I am fine with it. And I am not one to sign on blindly for everything Peter does. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he IS part troll, or some anamolous giant among goblins. A monster, if you will, amongst monsters. A freak whose massive size has elevated him amongst his brutal kind. I really don't mind his general look/

In Reply To
So... That's the Great Goblin at the end of the trailer falling on the dwarves Unsure I thought it was a troll... After looking at the hi res pictures it's pretty obvious it's him (crown and all)

The look of him? I hate it. HATE it. The guy is the size of a troll! Have a look at him compared to the dwarves...Dwalin is barely the size of his hand!!

The orcs in Rings actually looked real (if that makes any sense what-so-ever) ...well maybe believable is a better word. And what is with that chin?? Probably the worst design of any creature I have seen in any of these films... Sad.

Does anyone like the look??

Can't believe it -that was the one orc I was really looking forward to seeing. I guess Azog and Bolg will be just as exaggerated... I mean how are we supposed to believe that he is of the same species as characters like Lurtz, Gothmog etc

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Sep 26 2012, 5:41pm

Post #83 of 83 (101 views)
tremendous [In reply to] Can't Post

When first we meet the Goblins we have: 'Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly looking goblins, lots of goblins...' six to each Dwarf, at least, and two even for Bilbo.

And describing the Great Goblin: '... sat a tremendous goblin with a huge head'

And later, there is a passage 'low and roughly made' but that 'was not too difficult for the hobbit', despite him stubbing his toes. The passage was also thought (by Bilbo) to be: 'a bit low for goblins, at least for the big ones', Bilbo not knowing that even the big ones go along at great speed stooping low with their hands almost on the ground.

So goblins can be pretty small, as we see later in The Lord of the Rings, although there are some bigger ones too obviously. As has been noted in other threads, a 'huge' Uruk in Moria that forces Boromir (!) to the ground was yet only 'almost' man-high.

Of course the word in the books is tremendous; how big is a tremendous goblin with a huge head?

Hard to say, but even if he were bigger than this 'huge' Uruk he might only be the general size of an average man, which still would be bigger than Bilbo or the Dwarves of course. I don't imagine the Great Goblin as some giant creature that far surpasses goblin-kind...

... but then again it's a film, and Jackson has his own ideas.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Sep 26 2012, 5:50pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.