Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which of these Tolkien Authored and Edited/Middle Earth related books/ writings/essays have you read? And how do you feel about them? (Audio Books and Kindle included, some are quite obscure and may be out of print)
Poll: Which of these Tolkien Authored and Edited/Middle Earth related books/ writings/essays have you read? And how do you feel about them? (Audio Books and Kindle included, some are quite obscure and may be out of print)
1. The Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad 20 / 3%
2. Defending Middle Earth by Patrick Curry 0 / 0%
3. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo by J.R.R Tolkien 5 / 1%
4. The Tolkien Family Album by John and Priscilla Tolkien 2 / 0%
5. Ancrene Wisse: The English Text of The Ancrene Riwle by J.R.R Tolkien 0 / 0%
6. JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis by Colin Duriez 1 / 0%
7. Roverandom Edited by Christina Scull and Wayne G.Hammond 18 / 2%
8. Lord of The Rings Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith 8 / 1%
9. Leaf by Niggle by J.R.R Tolkien  25 / 3%
10. The Silmarillion Edited by Christopher Tolkien 34 / 4%
11. The Letters of JRR Tolkien Edited by Humphrey Carpenter and Christopher Tolkien 23 / 3%
12. The Children of Hýrin Edited by Christopher Tolkien 30 / 4%
13. Tolkienís Art: A mythology For England by Jane Chance Nitzsche 2 / 0%
14. The Father Christmas Letters by J.R.R Tolkien 11 / 1%
15. The Languages of Tolkienís Middle-earth by Ruth S Noel 2 / 0%
16. The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien 39 / 5%
17. On Fairy-Stories by J.R.R Tolkien 22 / 3%
18. The Road Goes Ever On by J.R.R Tolkien and Donald Swann 5 / 1%
19. The Road to Middle Earth by T.A sHIPPEY 9 / 1%
20. Pictures by JRR Tolkien 5 / 1%
21. The Complete Guide to Middle Earth by Robert Foster 15 / 2%
22. JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century by Tom Shippey  13 / 2%
23. Farmer Giles of Ham by JRR Tolkien 25 / 3%
24. Smith of Wooton Major by JRR Tolkien 23 / 3%
25 The Fellowship of The Ring by JRR Tolkien 41 / 5%
26 The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien 41 / 5%
27 The Return of The King by JRR Tolkien 41 / 5%
28. The Lord of The Rings Official Movie Guide  21 / 3%
29. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil by J.R.R Tolkien 20 / 3%
30. The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth by J.R.R Tolkien 2 / 0%
31. The History of The Hobbit Volume 1: Mr Baggins by John D Rateliff 9 / 1%
32. The History of The Hobbit Volume 2: Return to Bag End by John D Rateliff 9 / 1%
33. Tree and Leaf by J.R.R Tolkien 16 / 2%
34. The Lord of The Rings Sketchbook by Alan Lee 8 / 1%
35. Songs for the Philologists by J.R.R Tolkien 0 / 0%
36. Old English Exodus edited by Alan Bliss 0 / 0%
37. A Middle English Vocabulary by J.R.R Tolkien 1 / 0%
38. Unfinished Tales and Numenor and Middle Earth Edited by Christopher Tolkien 28 / 4%
39. The Tolkien Reader by J.R.R Tolkien 9 / 1%
40. The making of the Lord of The Rings Film Trilogy 12 / 2%
41. The Legend of Sigurd and Gundrun by Christopher Tolkien 9 / 1%
42. Images of Middle Earth by John Howe 3 / 0%
43. The History of Middle Earth Part I The Book of Lost Tales Part 1 by Christopher Tolkien 18 / 2%
44. The History of Middle Earth Part II The Book of Lost Tales Part 2 by Christopher Tolkien 16 / 2%
45. The History of Middle Earth Part III The Lays of Beleriand by Christopher Tolkien 13 / 2%
46. The History of Middle Earth Part IV The Shaping of Middle Earth by Christopher Tolkien 14 / 2%
47. The History of Middle Earth Part V The Lost Road and Other Writings by Christopher Tolkien 12 / 2%
48. The History of Middle Earth Part VI The Return of The Shadow by Christopher Tolkien 15 / 2%
49. The History of Middle Earth Part VII The Treason of Isenguard by Christopher Tolkien 11 / 1%
50. The History of Middle Earth Part VIII The War of The Ring by Christopher Tolkien 11 / 1%
51. The History of Middle Earth Part IX Sauron Defeated by Christopher Tolkien 9 / 1%
52. The History of Middle Earth Part X Morgothís Ring by Christopher Tolkien 10 / 1%
53. The History of Middle Earth Part XI The War of The Jewels by Christopher Tolkien 7 / 1%
54. The History of Middle Earth Part XII The Peoples of Middle Earth by Christopher Tolkien 10 / 1%
55. The History of Middle Earth Index by Christopher Tolkien 3 / 0%
56. Tolkien: A Celebration by Joseph Pearce 2 / 0%
57. The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun by J.R.R Tolkien 0 / 0%
58. Finn and Hengest edited by Alan Bliss 0 / 0%
59. The Inklings by Humphrey Carpenter 2 / 0%
60. The Monsters and The Critics and Other Essays by J.R.R Tolkien 5 / 1%
61. The Mythology of Middle Earth by Ruth S Noel 0 / 0%
62. Mr Bliss by J.R.R Tolkien 4 / 1%
63. Scholarship and Fantasy: Proceedings of the Tolkien Phenomenon by K.F Bartarbee 0 / 0%
64. JRR Tolkien: Master of Fantasy by David R Collins 0 / 0%
65. None of them (shame on you) 0 / 0%
66. All of them (impressive!!)  0 / 0%
769 total votes

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 10:49am

Post #1 of 12 (764 views)
Shortcut
Which of these Tolkien Authored and Edited/Middle Earth related books/ writings/essays have you read? And how do you feel about them? (Audio Books and Kindle included, some are quite obscure and may be out of print) Can't Post

I thought it would be interesting to compare each otherís experiences with, and knowledge of Tolkienís writings and the books about him (though Iím sure thereís been many polls like this before). Iím sure thereís more I could have put on there, but these were the only I was aware of.
I have read 1, 8, 10, 11, 12, 16, 21, 25-27, 38, 40, 43, 45, parts of 46 and most of 48-50.
What about you?

Patty
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 12:37pm

Post #2 of 12 (259 views)
Shortcut
Let me say that I'm still intending to read.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The History of Middle-earth series some day. I wish that they, like The Sil and Children of Hurin, would be put on audio book--a much easier way for me to get it done.Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 12:43pm

Post #3 of 12 (222 views)
Shortcut
You left out Flieger and Kocher... [In reply to] Can't Post

...two authors of books on Tolkien I've read. And I don't think the Annotated Hobbit was in there.

The Road Goes Ever On is just sheet music. If one has read the poems/song in the source books, there's not much new in the song book.

I'm not motivated enough to actually list all the books I've read here... although I did vote. I own more than I've read. And some would only be used for reference... I wouldn't actually read them cover to cover.

Some of those are a bit of a stretch for inclusion here. They aren't essays about Tolkien... just promotional books about the movie.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 3:49pm

Post #4 of 12 (213 views)
Shortcut
Also forgotten was Tolkien and the Great War// [In reply to] Can't Post

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 12 (198 views)
Shortcut
All of HoME [In reply to] Can't Post

HoME is amazing. There are pieces in it that I am thrilled were allowed to see the light of day.

And, of course, the Hobbit and LOTR. The Silmarillion and Children of Hurin. These last two are my favorites.

I remember reading Roverandom many years ago in middle school. I ought to read it again sometime. I remember liking it.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 12 (239 views)
Shortcut
I've started the LOTR-related TORN volumes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I ran into a snag when I discovered that a chunk of about 250 pages was missing from the middle of the first one. And I haven't gotten around to contact the bookstore or the publisher to see if I can get a complete copy.

sador
Half-elven

Sep 20 2012, 5:10pm

Post #7 of 12 (220 views)
Shortcut
Surely you've meant "the LOTR-realted HOME volumes"? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 2:40am

Post #8 of 12 (256 views)
Shortcut
And I have read far more than I own! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have borrowed from libraries and friends and only currently keep the hand-me-down versions that went unclaimed by family members as they moved on in life.

Since I don't actually have them with me, I am a little bit guessing here - I went based off of those titles that I remember reading something about (and in some cases I didn't finish the books I read).

I am not a collector - I am an avid reader with the habit of investigating the houses of people I meet for books that look cool - and so I have made some interesting friends and had some surprising conversations.

10, 16, 17, 18, 25, 26, 27, 38, 46, 47

I also read quite a bit about the Inklings but much of this was instead through the lens of C.S. Lewis and I don't recognize any titles. I also have a book called "A Tolkien Treasury" that got handed down to me when someone was cleaning their basement out.

OiotŠri
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 12 (162 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I was looking for that one. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 21 2012, 11:11pm

Post #10 of 12 (168 views)
Shortcut
My list: [In reply to] Can't Post

1,3,7,9,10,11,12,14,16,17,18,21,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,33,38,39,43,44,45,48,49,50,51,60,62

Some of my favorites besides LotR and The Hobbit are the Essay on Fairy Stories, Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wooten Major, the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and the four rough drafts of LotR. Oh, and the Road Goes Ever On, one of my prized volumes :-) I also have the record of those songs.

OiotŠri
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 11:29pm

Post #11 of 12 (200 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear, lets see [In reply to] Can't Post

Completely read: 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, 12, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 33, 38, 39, 41, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Read partially: 11, 14, 19, 20, 21, 22

Own but have yet to read: 3, 15, 31, 32, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54

I hope I didn't miss any.

I've been working on HoME for years now. It takes forever to get through, especially when there is so much else you want to read. I enjoy them for sure, but they aren't exactly light reading. 7 down, 5 to go.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 4:17am

Post #12 of 12 (465 views)
Shortcut
Just a few thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

8. I have a strange fascination with Weapons and Warfare. It completely breaks canon, but I enjoy the In-universe style and the pictures. Probably my favorite movie related book.

56. Tolkien: A Celebration is very interesting. Focuses on his Catholicism a bit too much, but the essay by George Sayers is invaluable to me and is indispensable if you are at all interested in Tolkien the human being.

Actually own and have read more than these two, but 8 and 56 are the most interesting to me besides the work by Tolkien himself.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.