Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why does a defeated, yet non-stone troll fall on the dwarves?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 4:01pm

Post #76 of 87 (186 views)
Shortcut
It's entirely possible [In reply to] Can't Post

That this thing will do for Jackson's overinflated reputation what Phantom Menace did for Lucas'

One can only hope

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 4:22pm

Post #77 of 87 (172 views)
Shortcut
I second this hilarious vote. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It has to stay. It reminds me of Pippin.

But I also thought Gimli was funny so...

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Sep 20 2012, 4:41pm

Post #78 of 87 (182 views)
Shortcut
Come off it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But this is outrageously implausible, destroys tension and suspension of disbelief,

You're talking about suspension of disbelief in a story that features a dragon, a wizard that talks to animals, trolls and stone giants?

Clutching at straws here aren't we? Tongue

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 20 2012, 5:58pm

Post #79 of 87 (169 views)
Shortcut
In the Book.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"..Suddenly a sword flashed in its own light. BILBO
saw it go right through the Great Goblin as he stood dumbfounded
in the middle of his rage. He fell dead,and the Goblin
soldiers fled before the sword shreiking into the darkness."

So I'm guessing this allows the company a head start down
into the deep passages.
So maybe PJ will only have GG wounded and GG commands them to come back but this wound finally kills him.
This would allow Barry Humphrey more screentime.

kjeevah
Bree

Sep 20 2012, 6:00pm

Post #80 of 87 (159 views)
Shortcut
stone giants [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
least wise that is what I see at 2:15 ish. Not really clear though, so it might just be my over-active imagination at work...

Simple, remember the reason why they were throwing rocks in the book?

They were throwing rocks at each other for a game, like a snowball fight. this guy was obviosuly hit by one.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 20 2012, 6:18pm

Post #81 of 87 (165 views)
Shortcut
In the Book.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"...When he peeped out in the Lighning-flashes, he saw across the. Valley
the stone-giants were out, and were hurling rocks AT ONE ANOTHER (emphasis mine) for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed amount the trees far below, or splintered into bits with a bang..."

This is just a case of the company being in the wrong place at the Wrong time. I don't think they were intentionally aiming at the company...Too small for them to even be seen.

When in doubt
... consult your Book.
Bomby

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 11:37pm

Post #82 of 87 (134 views)
Shortcut
I am always dumbfounded at how often this reasoning comes up [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there are dragons and talking animals and such. But there is also real danger, real death, and real consequences. These are all established parts of a well-crafted sub-reality.

It is incredibly important to maintain internal consistency within the sub-reality of Middle Earth. What the Goblin King scene does is fly in the face of one of the core aspects of Middle Earth: its inhabitants experience real danger, real pain, real death, and the laws of physics are generally consistent with those of our Earth.

If a creature of that size can fall from a great height, and not threaten the lives of the dwarves at all, a viewer is led to believe: Is there any real, actual danger in this world? Can anyone really be hurt and die? Or is this a video game land, where one can resurrect himself as many times as he or she likes?

It kills suspension of disbelief in a way that mythical creatures, on their own, do not.

On top of that, the Goblin King's fall is preceded by a cliched joke which heralds the event! It's all a bit too much, way over the top, and it hurts the ability of an audience to accept this is a real story, worth watching and listening to.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 21 2012, 12:30am

Post #83 of 87 (108 views)
Shortcut
Being miners of legend, perhaps dwarves hold up well [In reply to] Can't Post

under crushing weights? Perhaps they have a magical immunity to being squished? It's not as if people (or burrowing animals especially) never survive structure collapses in real life.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

JDRobinson

Sep 21 2012, 2:11am

Post #84 of 87 (118 views)
Shortcut
GG Death Scene/Fall [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I would share what I think will happen. The only thing that would seem to make sense.

Gandalf kills the Great Goblin and saves the dwarves as in the book. The Dwarves collect their stuff and run while being chased by the goblins. As they run, chaos ensues and amongst the chaos, support beams in Goblin Town are destroyed. The Dwarves think they are home free, but the bridge they are crossing collapses and they all fall to the bottom. Thinking it is over, Bifur says his line from the trailer. The weight of the dead Great Goblin falls through the floor because of the weakened support beams under his throne, and he comes crashing down upon the dwarves.

Just what I think will happen.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 4:43am

Post #85 of 87 (83 views)
Shortcut
Probably something like that, yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

And what narrative purpose does all that serve? IMO, it cheapens the story, while adding absolutely nothing to it.

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 5:13am

Post #86 of 87 (101 views)
Shortcut
This! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And what narrative purpose does all that serve? IMO, it cheapens the story, while adding absolutely nothing to it.

I mean seriously... Imagine if Eowyn had of killed the Witch King then the head of the fell beast he was on's eye started blinking and everyone laughed Unsure

Moment killer!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 21 2012, 1:27pm

Post #87 of 87 (135 views)
Shortcut
This is rely not a fair comparison.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.