Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Middle-Earth Themed Hallmark Card in Action (with a touch of wit): Adjusting Expectations
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 4:30pm

Post #76 of 91 (339 views)
Speech Of The Long Lived [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible that immortal being are rather like the Ents who believe that anything worth saying takes a long time to say. So immortals obviously prefer to stretch out their words as much as possible. Seems natural to me. I'm shocked that someone of your pedigree doesn't know this. Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 20 2012, 4:32pm)

Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 4:47pm

Post #77 of 91 (346 views)
The thing is, if one is looking for errors, one will find it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

When I watch LotR, I NEVER realize what is CGI or not, and in the Hobbit trailer the thought that some of this wasn't real didn't occur to me!

But when I watched Avatar I wasn't sucked into the movie, so I just sat there and spotted the fake looking CGI (which almost was the entire movie...)

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20 2012, 5:08pm

Post #78 of 91 (329 views)
Many personal back-and-forth comments were deleted from this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

...In case people are wondering where they went, and/or coming back to take yet another barb at each other.

Everyone needs to step back a few paces, take a few deep breaths and chill. Another read through the 'our halls' sticky at the top of the board also wouldn't hurt!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 5:09pm

Post #79 of 91 (321 views)
Sean Bean [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad someone else picked up on the accent - but it wasn't Fili/Kili to me, but Richard Armitage: His very first line in this trailer, in Bag End was pure Boromir! and, unfortunately, it unsettled me...I can't quite get my head around a Dwarf sounding like a Man of Gondor...Unsure

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Sep 20 2012, 5:13pm

Post #80 of 91 (298 views)
Not hardly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The Hobbit is a children's book. Looks like Peter has chosen the route of going for the childlike humor much like the books.

No. PJ has gone for childISH humour which is almost nothing like that in the book.

Sep 20 2012, 5:16pm

Post #81 of 91 (334 views)
Sean Bean and Richard Armitage... [In reply to] Can't Post

... both have or use Yorkshire accents. So far as I know, Sean Bean's is his own, and Richard Armitage doesn't actually come from Yorkshire but does the accent well. But what I meant was specific to the trailer - as Fili and Kili bow to Bilbo the words 'at your service' (I think) sound just like Sean Bean.

That doesn't worry me, I just found it quite amusing. As far as Richard Armitage goes, I think he's an inspired choice for Thorin, I really do.

Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 5:29pm

Post #82 of 91 (328 views)
Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure what you mean by "specific to the trailer" as mine comment was too...at 0:44 seconds Thorin says "we'll seize this chance to take back Erebor!" and Armitage (with his natural accent) sounds to me just like Boromir - far more than Fili and Kili's "At your service" in their "acted" dialect!

No criticism of Armitage intended, it's just that I was momentarily taken out of the movie because Thorin sounded (IMO) like another well-loved character...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Sep 20 2012, 5:31pm

Post #83 of 91 (284 views)
I'm expecting [In reply to] Can't Post

To love much of it, despise some of it, and thoroughly enjoy it overall.

Just like with LOTR.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Sep 20 2012, 5:35pm

Post #84 of 91 (296 views)
I am not sure fili and kili have a sheffield accent [In reply to] Can't Post

To me it doesnt sound like people i hear everyday/my accent. It sounds like an accent from somewhere else. how deep the voice is, is similar to Sean Bean but for me the accent is different - imagine how Bean would say it, its not the same. Saying that i cant place it - sounded a bit like postman pat to me, lol.

Richard/Thorin however is using a Yorkshire accent and i think it sounds fantastic, very powerful and perfect for the role. He was the best bit about the trailer i think.

Sep 20 2012, 8:18pm

Post #85 of 91 (230 views)
hmmmmmm! [In reply to] Can't Post

from what I heard thats why the Entwives left, the Ents not only take an age to say things, they also take an age to put up shelves and fix the garage door. Its very irritating.

Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 8:45pm

Post #86 of 91 (221 views)
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your style. My garage door has gone unfixed for at least eight years now. All shelves, however, are fully armed and operational.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 9:05pm

Post #87 of 91 (249 views)
The thing about pedants [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that they are sometimes a handful, they are sometimes a problem, they are occasionally a team but more often than not they disagree about grammatical "errors".

Sep 20 2012, 9:18pm

Post #88 of 91 (211 views)
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe that it's totally intentional and is the prescribed look alright. It's the new, light and breezy, not so heavy Middle Earth. Fully accessible to all!. Perfect for our lovable troupe's madcap adventures!!! Unsure I read someone's comment in another thread saying how they always thought that The Hobbit was a highly funny and light hearted book... Personally I have never thought of it or found it to be that way at all. Yes, it's got some elements of a story geared to children, particularly early on. But it's always been more than a little schizophrenic in that respect. I don't doubt that Tolkien started out with that intent, but it has seemed that in the course of the writing it became what it really wanted to be as it moved along. I had really hoped that these films could embody the somewhat less dire tone, but at least retain a similar aesthetic feel of gritty realism from the trilogy movies.

As has seemed apparent for some time now, it appears that they will end up being much more mainstream, Saturday matinee popcorn flicks for the family, instead of the truly special early chapters to complete a Middle Earth saga they could have been.

Sep 20 2012, 10:16pm

Post #89 of 91 (204 views)
Agreed on Avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

An astoundingly overrated film, IMO. I still scratch my head at its huge popularity.

Ah well. To each his own!

Sep 21 2012, 8:52pm

Post #90 of 91 (158 views)
I loved Avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

Best visual effects of any movie I've ever seen. And not by a little. When I first saw it, I felt like I had been transported into the future to see what movies would look like in ten years.

The story was decent as well. I was expecting an atrocious story, so I was pleasently surprised by that. Yes, much of it is tropey and cliched, but I found Jake's personal story to be pretty well done. The themes of reality vs. illusion were well explored and some of the scenes of Jake waking up were pretty darn powerful, actually. With a different ending forcing him to come to terms with the reality of his body without the technological civilization he ends up fighting against, I think Avatar's story might have been quite good.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 9:13pm

Post #91 of 91 (193 views)

As a visual and immersive experience, it was unique and i never saw the same. Watching some alien dog climb a tree or an avatar running or flying was just amazing. It was never about the cleverness of the script or the thrilliness of the plot twists and developments. It was just about a fantastic feast for the eyes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.