Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Ah yes, Aulė!

justbennett
The Shire

Sep 24 2012, 6:49pm

Views: 616
Shortcut
Ah yes, Aulė! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was intrigued, as I fancy myself a theologian, by the contrast between Aulė and Melkor. Where Melkor created perverted knock-offs of Eru's creations out of jealously and discord, Aulė seemed to create out of innocent curiosity. If I remember correctly he was prepared to destroy them with a hammer until Eru revealed a different fate.

So the dwarves are different, AND YET...don't we see these same tendencies in our fellow humans (if not ourselves). They seem to grumble when they should be grateful. I wonder if Tolkien had specific people and experiences in mind when he wrote the dwarves. I could imagine the war gave him opportunities to see this behavior in action.

Yes, Gimli seems to be a much more mature representative of his people. Perhaps the stabilization of their society and his exposure to other races had an effect.

Subject User Time
* * On the Doorstep * * Part 2: Still 'round the corner there may wait... dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 19 2012, 1:53am
    Answers sador Send a private message to sador Sep 20 2012, 4:22pm
        Ghosts of dwarrows past dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 24 2012, 12:51am
    One Comment justbennett Send a private message to justbennett Sep 20 2012, 6:40pm
        you were thinking of Aulė... telain Send a private message to telain Sep 23 2012, 12:41pm
            Ah yes, Aulė! justbennett Send a private message to justbennett Sep 24 2012, 6:49pm
        A very strange folk dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 24 2012, 12:59am
    i know what you mean telain Send a private message to telain Sep 21 2012, 1:12pm
        Creative problem-solving skills! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 24 2012, 1:04am
    Those Dwarves! demnation Send a private message to demnation Sep 23 2012, 3:17am
        And what are dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 24 2012, 1:12am
            The p's demnation Send a private message to demnation Sep 24 2012, 4:58am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.