Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Benedict Cumberbatch goes skydiving in NZ.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 12:36am

Post #1 of 17 (808 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch goes skydiving in NZ. Can't Post

Click here for article.

The Dominion Post has some fun pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch having a thrill with New Zealand skydiving. Reminds me of some of the Fellowship cast and their adventures between takes.

Methinks he is trying to channel Smaug.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 12:48am

Post #2 of 17 (321 views)
Shortcut
Whoops... correction. The article... [In reply to] Can't Post

is from the Daily Mail.

Apologies to the source.

Crazy

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 12:59am

Post #3 of 17 (240 views)
Shortcut
He looks like he is having fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be screaming my head off. Tongue Those are some great pics, I couldn't help smiling when I saw them. Thanks for sharing.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 1:01am

Post #4 of 17 (234 views)
Shortcut
No problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

This article was posted today, so I assume that this was recent. If so, I'm guessing PJ and the producers were all glad to see him safely back on the ground.

rings7
Rohan

Sep 18 2012, 1:16am

Post #5 of 17 (221 views)
Shortcut
I did that a few years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a heck of an experience.Cool

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 1:18am

Post #6 of 17 (211 views)
Shortcut
It look's both terrifying and exhilerating! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing a great way to conquer one's fears.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 1:40am

Post #7 of 17 (198 views)
Shortcut
I watched someone skydive on tv. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's as close as I'll EVER get! ;)

I like to think I have the guts to do it someday... but my inner voice knows better.

"GRAMMA! GET REAL! Sheesh!"

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 18 2012, 1:45am

Post #8 of 17 (202 views)
Shortcut
preferred tralalalallying in the New Zealand wood [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was studying abroad in welly.

I circumnavigated the south island in two weeks and managed to avoid all the extreme adventures.

Just tea, poetry and the beautiful landscapes thank you very much! Laugh

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Sep 18 2012, 2:14am

Post #9 of 17 (204 views)
Shortcut
Not recent [In reply to] Can't Post

They just reused the information from an older article :) I posted the Hobbit and Skydiving in New Zealand bit here http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

He did it back in January when he was there filming, only that the pictures were found a little after the article mentioning it was published by a fan and not the main press is taking it from there :) but this was his third jump

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Sep 18 2012, 3:45am

Post #10 of 17 (180 views)
Shortcut
ugh my writting >.< [In reply to] Can't Post

"the pictures were found a little after the article mentioning it was published, by a fan, and noW the main press is taking it from there" (sorry for the mistakes >.<)

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 7:18am

Post #11 of 17 (134 views)
Shortcut
If only he had been wearing a Smaug costume! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 18 2012, 9:08am

Post #12 of 17 (119 views)
Shortcut
a little small [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict would have been a very tiny Smaug if he wore a costume :D

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 9:34am

Post #13 of 17 (138 views)
Shortcut
Baby Smaug ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Sep 18 2012, 11:04am

Post #14 of 17 (94 views)
Shortcut
Same here - it's incredible [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a 15,000ft skydive above Taupo when I visited New Zealand in 2010. Always wanted to do it but never thought I'd have the courage.

The terror didn't hit until my legs were dangling over the edge and it suddenly hit me what was about to happen but by then it was far too late. And it was absolutely incredible. One of the most thrilling and wonderful experiences in my life. I'd recommend it to anyone, even those who feel extreme sports aren't for them (they're certainly not for me!). There's a wonderful sense of serenity, especially when the parachute opens and you're floating through clouds. And with the New Zealand landscape below - just perfect.

imin
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 12:34pm

Post #15 of 17 (87 views)
Shortcut
That sounds amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always wanted to do a skydive but never had the money or opportunity to do so, but i plan on experiencing it at least once when i can.

Can i ask, what does it feel like falling? Is it like when on a rollercoaster and you can feel a strange feeling in your stomach or does that not really happen when falling from a plane?!

When i was younger i was scared to ever do a parachute jump as i thought the bit at the end (where they open the parachute and go flying upwards looked scary) it was a few years later before i realised what was actually happening, lol.

rings7
Rohan

Sep 18 2012, 6:34pm

Post #16 of 17 (74 views)
Shortcut
I actually [In reply to] Can't Post

did it so i wouldnt be the only one not doing it from the group lol. I dont regret it though. :-p

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 11:35am

Post #17 of 17 (107 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to describe what it feels like [In reply to] Can't Post

The main things I remember from the initial drop is how cold and how thin the air is up there (the panic of "can I breathe?" lasts about half a second before you realise you can!). It doesn't really feel like a rollercoaster because you're not being jolted around so, whilst there's a sudden loss of gravity, it's a different feeling than a change in G-force. It's just a very bizarre feeling of having absolutely no support or physical surroundings anywhere near you. It's just amazing.

And I too used to be worried about the parachute lurching open but it's hardly noticable. The most surprising thing is how softly you land - honestly, it was more gentle for my feet to land after falling 15,000ft than it is for them stepping off stairs! The cost always put me off as well but it's much, much cheaper in NZ than it is here in the UK as I guess it's more of a tourist business there. So you have to pay the plane fare over to NZ but... well, that's worth it as well.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.