Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Should this be moved to another forum?

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 7:34pm

Post #1 of 12 (309 views)
Shortcut
Should this be moved to another forum? Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=497216#497216

Hobbit movie or events and moots maybe?

Was there talk at one time of starting a special spot on TORn Nav or somewhere dedicated to Hobbit premier events? Hopefully we'll have some news coming up soon to post.Smile
Cheers

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2012, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 12 (122 views)
Shortcut
I think Main is OK [In reply to] Can't Post

The focus is on preparations underway in Wellington for the Hobbit premiere, and based on our "Welcome to Main" post, "The Main Board is for general discussion of TORN and Tolkien-related topics. Pretty much anything under these general topics goes. Main is also the home of LOTR-related quizzes, games and parodies. Posts on the books and movies are welcome here too, or head on over to the LOTR Movie board, Hobbit Movie board or the Reading Room for more specific discussion - whichever you prefer."

It's not so much about the movie as it is about Wellington.

Thanks!Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 8:43pm

Post #3 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
I think some of the event posts are tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

because I think a lot of people think that Moots is for one of two things:
-info on and planning for an event one might attend
-post-event reports

And they just don't go to that board if they don't think any event posted there will be one they can attend and they aren't that interested in reading what other people did. (and we don't get lots of those kinds of posts, anyhow).

So news on some events that might interest a broader audience and probably won't initiate specific planning tends to get overlooked on Moots. It's the same for other boards, of course - which is why I'm sure you're all flexible in the ways you're post addressed.

I guess all I'm saying is, I'm glad you guys are flexible. It shows that you are really focused on making the boards work for the readers and not on rigid enforcement of rules.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 8:45pm

Post #4 of 12 (115 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Entmaiden. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought it hadn't gotten the views it might have on the hobbit forum. Smile

As to the second part of my question, any thoughts on how we could get premier event info into one easy-to-find place for local fans as the next few weeks unfold?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2012, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 12 (134 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, forgot about the second part. [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in the day, we had a page for Line Parties, where people from different cites around the world could organize local events - premier parties, DVD-watches, and other special events. With the re-design of the Home Page, the Line Party functionality went away. One person from a particular city would be the Line Party leader and could customize that city's page. It was international in scope and many, many Tolkien fans used our Line Parties to meet up.

However, I understand that a new, improved Line Party page is in the works. It probably won't work like the old one, but the goals will be the same.

As to the Wellington premier, I think we will be using the Moots page to announce events as the time gets closer, but we'll keep an eye on it and figure out a way - maybe a sticky post - to keep everything in one place. Can't believe it's nearly two months away!

Hope that answers your question!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 10:48pm

Post #6 of 12 (124 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should do it. Those of us here will post wherever we can with whatever we find.
Cheers

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 18 2012, 12:06am

Post #7 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
What entmaiden said. [In reply to] Can't Post

The snippets I posted were news on the background planning for the premiere by Wellington City Council, not about a moot or The Hobbit movie itself. Sometimes you have to make a judgement call on where a post will go, but this one suited Main best.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 12:15am

Post #8 of 12 (111 views)
Shortcut
Right-o! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll get it all figured out one of these years.
Cheers - and see you on the red carpet?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 2:55am

Post #9 of 12 (123 views)
Shortcut
And with all that... I wager this article doesn't have any Tolkien content and is more Off Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=497860#497860

edit to add.. I see a mod moved it from the Hobbit board to the Main board.

Oh well.. perhaps there was some Tolkien content in there I missed. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 18 2012, 3:02am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 18 2012, 4:03am

Post #10 of 12 (136 views)
Shortcut
No Tolkien, or Hobbit Movie content that I can see [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I re-moved it to OT.

The general rule is: movie-related actor updates go on the respective movie board (LOTR or Hobbit). Actor updates unrelated to movie news go on OT (awards, art shows, new projects, personal lives, etc.). So, I think a skydiving excursion does belong on OT, especially since the article was 99.9% about his skydiving experience and only briefly mentioned The Hobbit.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 12:02pm

Post #11 of 12 (82 views)
Shortcut
How do we know that PJ hasn't re-written the Eagles scene? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 18 2012, 1:22pm

Post #12 of 12 (202 views)
Shortcut
Too funny! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.