Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - February 26 The Breaking of the Fellowship
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 27 2007, 5:09pm

Post #26 of 39 (69 views)
Shortcut
I can almost envision [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf's mind almost enfolding the Fellowship... like wrapping his arms around them, or plugging into their thoughts.

Pippin's so intuitive. It makes me think of later when it's said he liked Boromir from the start... even though when he was in the boat, Boromir's nail-biting made the hobbits a bit nervous. Pippin knew Boromir was a good soul.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2007, 10:41am

Post #27 of 39 (64 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 28 ***Multiple posts follow for the 30-day Calendar *** [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2007, 10:45am

Post #28 of 39 (53 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

[imaginary] Today in Middle-earth.

February 29, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Meriadoc and Pippin escape and meet Treebeard.
(from the appendices)
... "'We have watched too long,' said Merry. 'There's Uglúk! I don't want to meet him again.' The hobbits turned and fled deep into the shadows of the wood…."
... "'Almost felt you liked the Forest! That's good! That's uncommonly kind of you,' said a strange voice. 'Turn round and let me have a look at your faces. I almost feel that I dislike you both, but do not let us be hasty. Turn round!' A large knob-knuckled hand was laid on each of their shoulders, and they were twisted round, gently but irresistibly; then two great arms lifted them up….
... 'Hrum, Hoom,' murmured the voice, a deep voice like a very deep woodwind instrument. 'Very odd indeed! Do not be hasty, that is my motto. But if I had seen you, before I heard your voices—I liked them: nice little voices; they reminded me of something I cannot remember—if I had seen you before I heard you, I should have just trodden on you, taking you for little Orcs, and found out my mistake afterwards. Very odd you are, indeed. Root and twig, very odd!'"

2. The Rohirrim attack at sunrise and destroy the orcs.
(from the appendices)
... "…Uglúk was overtaken and brought to bay at the very edge of Fangorn. There he was slain at last by Éomer, the Third Marshal of Rohan, who dismounted and fought him sword to sword. And over the wide fields the keen-eyed Riders hunted down the few Orcs that had escaped and still had strength to fly."

3. The Hunters continue their pursuit.
(not from the appendices)
... "As before Legolas was first afoot, if indeed he had ever slept. 'Awake! Awake!' he cried. 'It is a red dawn. Strange things await us by the eaves of the forest. Good or evil, I do not know; but we are called. Awake!'"

4. Frodo descends from the Emyn Muil and meets Gollum.
(from the appendices)
... "Sam stared at his master, who seemed to be speaking to some one who was not there. Gollum lifted his head.
... 'Yess, wretched we are, precious,' he whined. 'Misery misery! Hobbits won't kill us, nice hobbits.'
... "No, we won't,' said Frodo. 'But we won't let you go, either. You're full of wickedness and mischief, Gollum. You will have to come with us, that's all, while we keep an eye on you. But you must help us, if you can. One good turn deserves another.'
... 'Yess, yes indeed,' said Gollum sitting up. 'Nice hobbits! We will come with them. Find them safe paths in the dark, yes we will. And where are they going in these cold hard lands, we wonders, yes we wonders?' He looked up at them, and a faint light of cunning and eagerness flickered for a second in his pale blinking eyes.
... Sam scowled at him, and sucked his teeth; but he seemed to sense that there was something odd about his master's mood and that the matter was beyond argument. All the same he was amazed at Frodo's reply.
... Frodo looked straight into Gollum's eyes which flinched and twisted away. 'You know that, or you guess well enough, Sméagol,' he said, quietly and sternly. 'We are going to Mordor, of course. And you know the way there, I believe.'
... 'Ach! sss!' said Gollum, covering his ears with his hands, as if such frankness, and the open speaking of the names, hurt him."

5. Faramir sees the funeral boat of Boromir.
(from the appendices)
... "'I sat at night by the waters of Anduin, in the grey dark under the young pale moon, watching the ever-moving stream; and the sad reeds were rustling. So do we ever watch the shore nigh Osgiliath, which our enemies now partly hold, and issue from it to harry our lands. But that night all the world slept at the midnight hour. Then I saw, glimmering grey, a small boat of a strange fashion with a high prow, and there was none to row or steer it.
... 'An awe fell on me, for a pale light was round it. But I rose and went to the bank, and began to walk out into the stream, for I was drawn towards it. Then the boat turned towards me, and stayed its pace, and floated slowly by within my hand's reach, yet I durst not handle it. It waded deep, as if it were heavily burdened, and it seemed to me as it passed under my gaze that it was almost filled with clear water, from which came the light; and lapped in the water a warrior lay asleep.
... 'A broken sword was on his knee. I saw many wounds on him. It was Boromir, my brother, dead. I knew his gear, his sword, his beloved face. One thing only I missed: his horn. One thing only I knew not: a fair belt, as it were of linked golden leaves, about his waist. Boromir! I cried. Where is thy horn? Whither goest thou? O Boromir! But he was gone. The boat turned into the stream and passed glimmering on into the night. Dreamlike it was, and yet no dream, for there was no waking. And I do not doubt that he is dead and has passed down the River to the Sea.'"

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2007, 10:47am

Post #29 of 39 (71 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 30 *whew* [In reply to] Can't Post

[imaginary] Today in Middle-earth.

February 30, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Entmoot begins.
(from the appendices)
... “’Hoo, ho! Good morning, Merry and Pippin!’ he boomed, when he saw them. ‘You sleep long. I have been many a hundred strides already today. Now we will have a drink, and go to Entmoot.’
... ‘He poured them out two full bowls from a stone jar; but from a different jar. The taste was not the same as it had been the night before: it was earthier and richer, more sustaining and food-like, so to speak. While the hobbits drank, sitting on the edge of the bed, and nibbling small pieces of elf-cake (more because they felt that eating was a necessary part of breakfast than because they felt hungry), Treebeard stood, humming in Entish or Elvish or some strange tongue, and looking up at the sky.
... ‘Where is Entmoot?’ Pippin ventured to ask.
... ‘Hoo, eh? Entmoot?’ said Treebeard, turning round. ‘It is not a place, it is a gathering of Ents—which does not often happen nowadays....’"
... "Though he could not catch or understand any of the words—he supposed the language was Entish—Pippin found the sound very pleasant to listen to at first; but gradually his attention wavered. After a long time (and the chant showed no signs of slackening) he found himself wondering, since Entish was such an 'unhasty' language, whether they had yet got further than Good Morning; and if Treebeard was to call the roll, how many days it would take to sing all their names. 'I wonder what the Entish is for yes or no,' he thought. He yawned.
... Treebeard was immediately aware of him. 'Hm, ha, hey, my Pippin!' he said, and the other Ents all stopped their chant. 'You are a hasty folk, I was forgetting; and anyway it is wearisome listening to a speech you do not understand. You may get down now. I have told your names to the Entmoot, and they have seen you, and they have agreed that you are not Orcs, and that a New Line shall be put in the old lists.'"

2. Éomer returning to Edoras meets Aragorn.
(from the appendices)
... "Gimli rose and planted his feet firmly apart: his hand gripped the handle of his axe, and his dark eyes flashed. 'Give me your name, horse-master, and I will give you mine, and more besides,' he said.
... 'As for that,' said the Rider, staring down at the Dwarf, 'the stranger should declare himself first. Yet I am named Éomer son of Éomund, and am called the Third Marshal of Riddermark.'
... 'Then Éomer son of Éomund, Third Marshal of Riddermark, let Gimli the Dwarf Glóin's son warns you against foolish words. You speak evil of that which is fair beyond the reach of your thought, and only little wit can excuse you.'
... Éomer 's eyes blazed, and the Men of Rohan murmured angrily, and closed in, advancing their spears. 'I would cut off your head, beard and all, Master Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground,' said Éomer.
... 'He stands not alone,' said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight. You would die before your stroke fell….'"

3. Frodo and Sam follow their new guide.
(not from the appendices)
... "So tired was Frodo that his head fell forward on his breast and he slept, almost as soon as he had spoken the words. Gollum seemed no longer to have any fears. He curled up and went quickly to sleep, quite unconcerned. Presently his breath was hissing softly through his clenched teeth, but he lay still as stone. After a while, fearing that he would drop off himself, if he sat listening to his two companions breathing, Sam got up and gently prodded Gollum. His hands uncurled and twitched, but he made no other movement. Sam bent down and said "fissh" close to his ear, but there was no response, not even a catch in Gollum's breathing…."

... [Sam to Frodo:] "'This waybread keeps you on your legs in a wonderful way, though it doesn't satisfy the innards proper, as you might say: not to my feeling anyhow meaning no disrespect to them as made it. But you have to eat some of it every day, and it doesn't grow. I reckon we've got enough to last, say, three weeks or so, and that with a tight belt and a light tooth, mind you. We've been a bit free with it so far.'
... 'I don't know how long we shall take to—to finish,' said Frodo. 'We were miserably delayed in the hills. But Samwise Gamgee, my dear hobbit—indeed, Sam my dearest hobbit, friend of friends—I do not think we need give thought to what comes after that. To "do the job" as you put it—what hope is there that we ever shall? And if we do, who knows what will come of that? If the One goes into the Fire, and we are at hand? I ask you, Sam, are we ever likely to need bread again? I think not. If we can nurse our limbs to bring us to Mount Doom, that is all we can do. More than I can, I begin to feel.'
... Sam nodded silently. He took his master's hand and bent over it. He did not kiss it, though his tears fell on it. Then he turned away, drew his sleeve over his nose, and got up, and stamped about, trying to whistle, and saying between the efforts: 'Where's that dratted creature?'"

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2007, 1:19pm

Post #30 of 39 (47 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever heard [In reply to] Can't Post

these books read aloud? I've started listening to them while doing treadmill-walking, the Rob Inglis versions, and I am astounded at how different the experience is, from reading them! It's like being there, real-time, in the same room or same place as the characters. It heightens one's appreciation for all the effort and love Tolkien put into these characters and every aspect of this story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

Morwen
Rohan

Feb 28 2007, 2:16pm

Post #31 of 39 (66 views)
Shortcut
Poor Sam [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sam nodded silently. He took his master's hand and bent over it. He did not kiss it, though his tears fell on it. Then he turned away, drew his sleeve over his nose, and got up, and stamped about, trying to whistle, and saying between the efforts: 'Where's that dratted creature?'"

*sniff* What can I say?

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2007, 2:22pm

Post #32 of 39 (55 views)
Shortcut
"they reminded me of something [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot remember": maybe Merry and Pippin's voices resemble the voices of young Entings?

Frodo meets Gollum; and Sam finds that he not only has to keep an eye on Gollum as well, but he has to keep an even closer watch on Frodo, and the effects that Gollum and the Ring combined are having on him.

*chills* The scene in the movies of Faramir seeing Boromir in the boat was just as I had envisioned it: dreamlike, yet real - grievously real...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2007, 2:29pm

Post #33 of 39 (46 views)
Shortcut
Sam [In reply to] Can't Post

my dearest hobbit, friend of friends".

To know that at the end of one's task, lies certain death, yet to go on...

Indeed, what can one say, as one's heart breaks for them...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2007, 3:01pm

Post #34 of 39 (44 views)
Shortcut
I Totally Agree!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Inglis' narration of the story is fantastic! His choice of inflections and emotions are spot-on. How he can so subtly change his voice so that you can tell the characters simply by how he portrays them is incredible!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2007, 3:05pm

Post #35 of 39 (38 views)
Shortcut
Young entings [In reply to] Can't Post

or hobbit archers that joined the war of the Last Alliance, or from walking through the Shire looking for the Entwives. I love this little tidbits from Tolkien that just lets your imagination run wild with the possibilities.

Yeah... that vision of Boromir was done perfectly.

How perceptive of Sam to not be so wrapped up in his own bias against Gollum that he could discern how the beast and the Ring were affecting Frodo. I don't think Aragorn would have known Frodo well enough to pick up on that.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28 2007, 3:06pm

Post #36 of 39 (31 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* / [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 1 2007, 12:17am

Post #37 of 39 (25 views)
Shortcut
That's a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like Gramma agrees with you, especially about that particular recording. Is it easy to get? Would they have it at my library or do I need to buy it?

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're wondering)*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2007, 2:36am

Post #38 of 39 (35 views)
Shortcut
If you have access to a library [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes you can find them there, or through their interlibrary loan department (borrowed from another library via snailmail). OR, if you want, keep an eye out on ebay. I've seen them in both tape and cd formats for a reasonable price :)

I'd suggest borrowing them first to see if it's your cup-o-tea :)

sample sample

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 1 2007, 2:38am

Post #39 of 39 (74 views)
Shortcut
Good advice all around. Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're wondering)*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.