Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Late Answers

sador
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 2:33pm

Views: 561
Shortcut
Late Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Notice the way Thorin speaks in this part of the chapter. How would you describe it: royally, bombastic, archaic, something else?
Heroic.

What is his motivation?
This is his natural tongue. Thorin is back in his element again.

(Yes, he is versatile - at times formal, humourous, deferrent, opaque and outraged; but by rights he is of the heroic North)

2. How does Lake-town respond to the dwarves’ homecoming?

Like political hacks on an election year. Some caught a glimpse of an ear! Loud cheers. Not just a nose, but one who had actually sneezed! Trumpets and fanfare.

Well, this might also describe Tolkien-fans a couple of months before a new film comes out.

Is everyone excited and are they excited for the same reason(s)?
They never are.

I can understand why the Wood-elves were shocked to see Thorin, et al, but exactly why were they afraid?
Elves are always a teeny bit insecure, that Men would actually prefer the dwarves to them.
Can't blame them, as a matter of fact.

3. Why would the Master of Lake-town inspire and/or encourage these renditions?

It was an election year.

Is this because Thorin feels they will be expected to share the wealth of the Mountain (and, btw, they have no mind to do so)?

No; he feels the Men would fain usurp him of all of it.
Do you remember his unanswered question to Bard, what would have happened had the Dwarves perished in Smaug's first onslaught and the treasure left undefended? And Bard's own dreams of rebuilding Dale?

This question was a direct result of these songs; and Bard didn't answer because, of course, he had no good answer (except for an army at his back).

Are Thorin & Co. deceiving the Lake-towners?
No.

Using them?
In a way. But they fully intend to pay them back afterwards.

Does this knowledge dampen your sympathy for their cause -- especially after being fed, clothed and housed by Lake-town citizens --
Didn't they use Elrond and Beorn? And they did not really intend to pay theose two.

or are the Lake-towners expecting too much?
They did not expect anything from the Dwarves. They expected to conquer the unguarded Mountain and loot it for their own benefit.
If not for the Elvenking, they would have attempted to lynch them on the spot; and if not for Roac, they would have succeeded.

4. What do you think happened to them?
Headed west and opened a syndicate.

Sent downriver in a few barrels of their own?
So after tossing a few dwarves, the young toss-pots got to toss those two servants in barrels? He he!

If I had served my God as diligently as I did my king, He would not have given me over in my grey hairs.

- Cardinal Wolsey.

5. What is/are the key difference(s) between how the Master of Lake-town reacts to the news and how Thranduil, king of the Wood-elves reacts?
The Master makes sure he controls the ebb and flow of public opinion. The Elvenking takes precautions against future disaster.

Whereas politicians care only about the next election, statesmen think of the next generation.

- Benjamin Disraeli.

Why is Thranduil considered by Tolkien/the Narrator to be wiser -- is it his experience (i.e., the number and kinds of experiences we imagine Thranduil to have had), or his values? He is an Elf. Or something else? If nothing else, he does realise that Thorin will go up to the Mountain.

6. Any last thoughts on “A Warm Welcome?” Was it as unambiguous as you previously thought? I haven't changed my mind greatly.

Are there any themes or key points we need to carry over to “On the Doorstep”? The last paragraph! One of my favourites, and you never mentioned it!

Finally, "Thank You" to all who read and responded! Thank you, telain! You did great!

"Has Bilbo's presence for the most part generally gone unnoticed at the feast, or are people simply being more polite to and celebratory of the dwarves, whose arrival is more expected?"

"Well, there’s thirteen rough and bearded short people, and one rather prissy and unbearded short person. The answer is obvious. Surely the people of Lake-town are knowledgeable enough to not ever dare bother a Dwarven female without leave."
- Laerasea / Darkstone

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for A Warm Welcome!

Subject User Time
* * A Warm Welcome * * 3 - final questions and wrap-up telain Send a private message to telain Sep 15 2012, 7:11pm
    Apologies to both you and dernwyn... sador Send a private message to sador Sep 15 2012, 7:21pm
        Indeed! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 16 2012, 11:27pm
            Thank you! // sador Send a private message to sador Sep 19 2012, 8:24am
        no worries... telain Send a private message to telain Sep 17 2012, 3:49pm
    Ladies and gentlemen - the Beatles! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 17 2012, 1:23am
        merrily, merrily, merrily... telain Send a private message to telain Sep 17 2012, 3:56pm
    Late Answers sador Send a private message to sador Sep 19 2012, 2:33pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.