Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Silmarillion - 35 years old today!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2012, 12:02pm

Post #26 of 49 (365 views)
Shortcut
That's the same cover [In reply to] Can't Post

that I have: green with gold symbol on front, gold symbol and silver lettering on spine. Definitely gold, not copper!

Mine most likely came out of Boston...

Geordie, where all were these printed in the States, and which styles came from where?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Sep 16 2012, 12:31pm

Post #27 of 49 (355 views)
Shortcut
Another first edition of The Silmarillion here. [In reply to] Can't Post

My late mother-in-law, a librarian for the Chicago Public Library system, gave the first edition to me in December 1977.

Let's see...yes, green cover, embossed in gold and silver, published in Boston (I think).

Your "Where'd the hobbits go?" query reminds me of a former co-worker who was checking out my 2009 Tolkien calendar, which featured Ted Nasmith's illustrations. I can't recall which month it was, but she took a look and said, "I'm guessing there are no hobbits in there."

My favorite passage (Ch. 2, Of Aulė and Yavanna):

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Thank you, Aulė, for tossing us technological-types a bone! Wink

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by Tweezers of Thu on Sep 16 2012, 12:32pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 12:40pm

Post #28 of 49 (372 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* "beads without a string* [In reply to] Can't Post

as profound as "lightning out of a clear sky".

How wonderful that you've found a copy, nurture it with additional signatures, and give that book a safe haven :) I love it.

Wonderful words from Unwin. How many lives has he touched when he embraced Tolkien's book so long ago.

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 1:38pm

Post #29 of 49 (332 views)
Shortcut
I would say mine is gold and silver [In reply to] Can't Post

but it would be easier to be sure if I had the copper to compare to. But I think this is gold.

I bought it second hand in Minneapolis and the person's name in the book (with the date 1977) still lives in this area (acc. to the net)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 1:43pm

Post #30 of 49 (370 views)
Shortcut
I've gathered a few editions [In reply to] Can't Post

Silmarillion
  1. 1977 hc (green cloth) Allen & Unwin llustrated, 1st Edition 395257301
  2. 1977 pbk 0345272552
  3. 1977 hc Silmarillion w/map George Allen & Unwin London/Boston/Sydney UK 0048231398
  4. 1979 pbk Unwin & Allen UK 0048231533
  5. 1981 Ballantine (2 bks-- 1 w/white print & 1 w/black print-cover art by Darrell K. Sweet) 0345306929
  6. 1983 pbk Houghton Mifflin cover artwork by Tolkien 9780395346464
  7. 1987 pbk Unwin Hyman Limited trade pbk 946455 London/Australia/NZ (cover artwork by Roger Garland) 0048232300
  8. 1991pbk Grafton Books UK (cover art by Roger Garland) 0261102443
  9. 1990 pbk Del Rey 9780345325815
  10. 1998 hc Houghton Mifflin (artwork by Ted Nasmith) Printed and bound in Italy Rotolito Lombarda SpA 1998 9780395939468
  11. 1999 pbk Del Rey cover art by Mike Dringenberg 0345325818
  12. 1999 pbk UK/Aus/Can HarperCollins (cover artwork by Ted Nasmith) Printed by Omnia Bks Lmtd-Glasgow 0261102737
  13. 1999 pbk UK Omnia-Glasgow 0261102737
  14. 2001 pbk Houghton Mifflin Ted Nasmith art cover matches 1999 0618126988

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 16 2012, 1:45pm)

Asger
Bree

Sep 16 2012, 1:51pm

Post #31 of 49 (334 views)
Shortcut
My first edition... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got my cousin to buy it for me in Copenhagen, I live in the country, and she asked if she might read it first. I still have it of course in fine condition. Reading it was an amazing experience, and it was only two years after my first reading of LotR.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 16 2012, 2:06pm

Post #32 of 49 (328 views)
Shortcut
Now also when TH turns 75 years old [In reply to] Can't Post

It's impressive to read that so many of you still have your copies of Silmarillion intact! 35 years and still in good shape? Very nice... I love a good collection of books.

I would like to meet the person who has a 1937' 1st edition copy of The Hobbit still intact!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 2:22pm

Post #33 of 49 (362 views)
Shortcut
Mine is the gold and silver, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I've been watching for copper forever! Book stores, yard sales, etc.

I am a bit of a collector, but don't have a detailed awareness of what's out there. Though I did notice that my 2 copies of the 1981 Ballantine editions have different print colours. One is white and one is black...otherwise, they're identical.

Unused Scenes

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 4:53pm

Post #34 of 49 (330 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Hammond, Houghton Mifflin used several printers for Silm - the ones with copper and silver on the bindings seem to have gone to the western United States. The initial print run was 325,000 copies, followed by printings of 50,000, 50,000 and 100,000; all before publication.

All US first printings have a misprint - on the page before the title page, under 'Books by JRR Tolkien', 'Farmer Giles of Ham' is mis-spelt as 'Father Giles of Ham'.

Oddly enough, I have two copies of the US 1st edition - one is packed away; I'm pretty sure it has gold & silver stamping. The one in my hands now has copper & silver; I bought this one because the price included a very rare booklet written by Christopher and published only by HM - it's called 'The Silmarillion: A Brief Account of the Book and its Making'. Quite rare, as far as I can see.

(This post was edited by geordie on Sep 16 2012, 5:00pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 5:12pm

Post #35 of 49 (387 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link - [In reply to] Can't Post

- to a website which has many photos of UK editions of Tolkien's works, and also much information -

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/gallery.php?subsection=42

As may be seen, this page shows variants of the UK editions of Silm. The geordie library has a least one copy of each variation, except the red leather edn. of 1977/82. These are extraordinarily hard to find, dammit!

*sorry; that's the collector in me coming to the surface again... However, we do have one of these -

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=62110

- what's more, the geordie library copy has a bookplate, signed by Christopher Tolkien. Nice!

Smile

(This post was edited by geordie on Sep 16 2012, 5:13pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2012, 5:50pm

Post #36 of 49 (315 views)
Shortcut
One of these days [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to follow you around as you go to tag sales and used-book sellers'!

You do have an amazing "nose" for finding these, gramma! Cool

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 16 2012, 7:25pm

Post #37 of 49 (302 views)
Shortcut
Me, too! Mine came from a local library's book sale (donation) without a dustjacket, for almost nothing! =)// [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 16 2012, 7:28pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 16 2012, 7:50pm

Post #38 of 49 (296 views)
Shortcut
I've read the Silmarillion 13 times [In reply to] Can't Post

...and Happy Birthday! Smile

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
..........................................................................And those words were so easy to say."

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 16 2012, 7:53pm

Post #39 of 49 (275 views)
Shortcut
Just once [In reply to] Can't Post

Read it for the first time last year. Its a fun read for the history you're given but it is tough in spots as well. I don't know if I'll read it every year but I will read it more often in the future.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 8:04pm

Post #40 of 49 (306 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to disappoint, [In reply to] Can't Post

"Farmer Giles of Ham" in the book list.
Map of Realms of the Noldor and Sindar faces page 120.
Fold-out map in back. ISBN 395257301.
The UK dust jacket illustrations look familiar, so I think my missing cover had at least the same painting.

I must say this is very interesting. I had no idea there could be so many versions of a "first edition": pre-publication printings, illustrated, with extra booklets, 100 of 500 signed, special editions,
[* Only 500 of the "Special Limited Edition" have been bound exclusively for Canada. This edition will not be for sale. A second variant has been seen that has an extra plate pasted onto the front free endpaper. This plate contains a dedication to "friends of the publisher" http://www.tolkienbooks.net/....php?reference=62110]... and on and on.

Thanks for the link to the above TolkienBooks.net, geordie. How many copies of the Sil do you have at the moment, if I may ask? It would indeed be like a treasure hunt trying to find one of everything. So far it sounds like 4-5 of us Yanks have the same variant, minus dust jacket.Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 8:05pm

Post #41 of 49 (272 views)
Shortcut
Excellent!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the link! Wow...

I have a Children of Hurin with an autograph card signed by Christopher Tolkien and by Alan Lee. *covets*

My real treasure hunt is for that elusive, dog-eared, VERY WELL LOVED copy of 1st ed Hobbit. I know, I know... I'm the only one out there looking for one ;)

Unused Scenes

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 16 2012, 8:27pm

Post #42 of 49 (270 views)
Shortcut
Pre-ordered mine [In reply to] Can't Post

and collected it at WaldenBooks the first day of issue. H-M first, dustjacket (white with re-colored version of the "Misty Mountains" Hobbit illustration) still in good shape, since I put it in a plastic wrapper.... but unfortunately over time the tape I used foxed the endpapers. "Father Giles," gold.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 8:49pm

Post #43 of 49 (311 views)
Shortcut
Now that should make geordie's ears perk up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice planning. It's the early bird that catches the Great Worm. (Sorrrrry. I was just thinking you were an early bird, then worms, then dragons/worms, then Glaurung - you know?)CrazyTongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2012, 11:17pm

Post #44 of 49 (251 views)
Shortcut
Yes, "Father" Giles [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been nice of the publishers to include that booklet in every copy! How does it differ from the Foreword?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2012, 1:43am

Post #45 of 49 (285 views)
Shortcut
Your library just about gave away a first edition? [In reply to] Can't Post

When's their next sale? I want to see what else they have! Laugh

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 17 2012, 7:26pm

Post #46 of 49 (219 views)
Shortcut
The Silm [In reply to] Can't Post

Waow 35 years..!! That's quite something. But what's even more astonishing is when you know that Tolkien has worked it from about 1918.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 11:48am

Post #47 of 49 (206 views)
Shortcut
Someone stole the 1st ed Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

from our historical library (part of the main library where I work) when we moved books around during reconstruction about 10 years ago. A moving company was hired to actually relocate the thousand of books in our collection. *chin quivers* I was the one to discover it was gone. *crosses heart* I promise... it wasn't me!

Unused Scenes

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 12:24pm

Post #48 of 49 (198 views)
Shortcut
Looks at geordie suspiciously ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
How awful is that. Was there anything in/on the book to identify that it belonged to your library?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 6:59pm

Post #49 of 49 (240 views)
Shortcut
'twere'nt me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I pay for my books. book thieves - pah! They ought to be hung up by the... town hall...

Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.