Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Richard 111

willowing
Lorien

Sep 14 2012, 9:44pm

Post #1 of 11 (325 views)
Shortcut
Richard 111 Can't Post

It's a well known fact that Richard Armitage who will portray Thorin Oakenshield in the upcoming film The Hobbit has a keen interest in The Plantagenet King Richard III.

So, like the rest of the world, I myself included was surprised and excited to read about the finding of the possible remains of Richard III under a carpark.

This world breaking news item will not be lost on The cast members of The Hobbit or Peter Jackson as it is all over the website.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 15 2012, 12:51am

Post #2 of 11 (134 views)
Shortcut
It's fascinating to think [In reply to] Can't Post

that a site could be covered over by urban development but the stories in the earth just lay there quietly, waiting to be discovered. :)

The archaeologists have done a great job to locate the site, then to find what could be his remains.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Sep 15 2012, 1:17am

Post #3 of 11 (151 views)
Shortcut
What really sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

is the question of the identity of the woman who was found with him. I can't imagine who she could be, since Anne is buried in Westminster Abbey, and his sisters and illegitimate daughter were all married and I'd assume buried with their husbands. The first thought that comes to mind is that maybe she was his mistress. Anne died after a battle with cancer, that had come on the heels of the death of their young son, and he was still relatively young even by late medieval standards, so it would perhaps be understandable (albeit not particularly admirable) had he sought companionship shortly after her death. Between all that going on, the murders of his nephews which almost definitely happened on his watch even if he wasn't responsible, and Henry Tudor closing in, I'd find it hard to blame him too much.

The scoliosis is interesting as well, as it would explain the exaggerated hunchback descriptions.

Even the most avid Ricardians are probably taking this news with cautious optimism. It's going to take a very long time to confirm the identity of the remains, if they are ever identified at all.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2012, 6:50pm

Post #4 of 11 (116 views)
Shortcut
Very excited by this... [In reply to] Can't Post

The dig was only 30 miles or so from where I live, so we've had a fair amount of local press coverage.
I find it fascinating that they may have found him just a couple of weeks into the dig. I love the history surrounding that era, so will be following this with interest!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 15 2012, 9:28pm

Post #5 of 11 (91 views)
Shortcut
Link inside [In reply to] Can't Post

Easy enough to Google, but here's a link to a pretty lengthy story for anyone who doesn't want to go looking. Fascinating stuff! Thanks for posting it, willowing. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 10:43pm

Post #6 of 11 (96 views)
Shortcut
A link inside you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had days like this, as has King Richard III apparently.

Perchance have any rabbits died lately? (now I'm really showing my age.)

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 10:45pm)

willowing
Lorien

Sep 15 2012, 11:45pm

Post #7 of 11 (74 views)
Shortcut
"King under the carpark"? [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a lot of determined people during the Reign of Henry VII These supporters of Richard III put their lives at risk for refusing to hand over any information or documents recorded during Richard's brief reign.

Today archaeologists indeed have done brilliantly to locate a burial site and in such a short space of time.

willowing
Lorien

Sep 16 2012, 12:03am

Post #8 of 11 (84 views)
Shortcut
Sourice link for Richard III [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/7666278/Body-of-Richard-III-believed-found

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 16 2012, 4:01am

Post #9 of 11 (112 views)
Shortcut
I can't find any article which mentions the remains of a woman. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you link me to one?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

willowing
Lorien

Sep 16 2012, 6:58am

Post #10 of 11 (69 views)
Shortcut
Female bones in the plot [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a link, the article is set out in timed order. The mention of a female skeleton was aired at 11.15 and is brief.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9537600/Strong-evidence-Richard-IIIs-body-has-been-found-with-a-curved-spine.html

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 3:53pm

Post #11 of 11 (74 views)
Shortcut
I love this stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm pretty solidly in the camp that Henry VII bears more responsibility for the princes' murder than Richard. Waiting eagerly for more info.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.