Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2012, 1:55pm

Post #1 of 12 (1046 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." Can't Post

Aragorn stumbles upon a clue.

1.) I partly chose this shot because there's something a bit peculiar about the way Aragorn looks here; there's something youthful about him. Any thoughts or observations of your own?

2.) We can assume he's looking at Legolas here, but is there something more going on with his eyes?

3.) In general, what sort of emtions (if any at all) can be distinguished here?

4.) Any other thoughts/comments?

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 2:28pm

Post #2 of 12 (345 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Just an uninteresting close-up shot, really. Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 14 2012, 3:53pm

Post #3 of 12 (327 views)
Shortcut
Great image OR. [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) I partly chose this shot because there's something a bit peculiar about the way Aragorn looks here; there's something youthful about him. Any thoughts or observations of your own?

Before reading your questions, the first thing I thought when I saw the image was, "Aragorn looks younger than usual here." I believe Viggo was around 41 when this scene was filmed. Dang he looked good for his age.

2.) We can assume he's looking at Legolas here, but is there something more going on with his eyes?

He may be looking at Legolas but he appears also to be looking beyond him, trying to see what Legolas sees. Or he's using his Ninja powers to take in as much information about the countryside as possible...

And while his eyes are drinking in as much as possible, his mind is making calculations, and he's probably telling himself that "it won't be long now... just a little bit further and we will rescue our friends."

Nah, I'm just drinking in the awesomeness of Viggo's Strider.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2012, 8:16pm

Post #4 of 12 (310 views)
Shortcut
"Strider Catches a Break" [In reply to] Can't Post

Strider always does what needs to be done. He can't help Frodo, so he immediately takes on the task of saving Merry and Pippin. He's been running along for days, not giving up, just doing the right thing against all odds. He isn't called Estel for nothing.

Then, out of all expectation, he finds a fragile symbol of why he's doing this, and it stuns him momentarily. "Maybe we really do have a chance of finding them alive." He's been doggedly pursuing the bad guys in order to save good guys, which has been his lot, his duty, for years. Even someone of such unwavering perseverance can be taken aback to see proof that what he is doing matters. Everybody needs a little hope now and then.

The closeups are where you see important stuff like this, SA.Wink

PattyJB
Rivendell

Sep 14 2012, 8:39pm

Post #5 of 12 (313 views)
Shortcut
We are not alone here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Aragorn looks younger here because his face is relaxed. He has had it brought to his attention that more is going on here than even he is aware of or can control. And yes, there is a "hope against all hope" aspect creeping into it. He is looking at Legolas because he may understand what Aragorn is thinking and why. And he is also looking beyond Legolas, probably to his (hopefully/possibly) future Gmother-in-law, Galadriel, the reason why the leaves of Lórien behave as they do.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 12 (297 views)
Shortcut
I think extreme close-ups [In reply to] Can't Post

Are generally cheap ways of eliciting emotion in cinema, and a waste of the vast visual potential of the film canvas. Instead of giving us a manipulative closeup of Frodo crying, for example, give us a great composition that shows, through how the shot is set up, how alone Frodo feels. That's exploiting the visual language of cinema to its full potential.

Some film-makers, like Malick, pull extreme close-ups off in an interesting way, but I find PJ's overuse of the extreme closeup to be obnoxious.

Personal taste, that's all.

It's seen as perfectly valid for many film-makers.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 15 2012, 12:07am

Post #7 of 12 (265 views)
Shortcut
Hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how tired they'd have to have been at this point, I'd say he looks, not necessarily younger, but suddenly energized, re-invigorated, by the discovery of the brooch.

I think he is picturing in his mind an entirely new set of circumstances now, he's visualizing now the possibilities - where they might be, what might be going on.

3.) In general, what sort of emotions (if any at all) can be distinguished here?
"There is always hope". And maybe a tiny hint of "Yesss! :)"

Good image choice, One Ringer!

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 15 2012, 1:50am

Post #8 of 12 (307 views)
Shortcut
I saw quite a bit of meaning and symbolism in the way that was composed [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of the 'Frodo crying' close-up --

Right before that particular close-up, there is a shot of him heading away into a very expansive rocky landscape within which he appears very small and alone indeed. And that barren landscape is part of the composition of the close-up image, appearing around and beside and behind his face, which speaks to me as a visual expression of the emptiness outside reflecting the emptiness he feels inside.

I guess it's interesting how differently people can look at the same image. I found a great deal was expressed visually in the way that shot was composed.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2012, 6:50am

Post #9 of 12 (274 views)
Shortcut
You can see the wheels turning behind his eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with others that hope has been renewed and a weight has been lifted - at least lightened a bit - which has reinvigorated him.

He looks like he's thinking hard about the implications of this find.

Guarded optimism.

Great shot. Smile

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 16 2012, 4:50pm

Post #10 of 12 (202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) I partly chose this shot because there's something a bit peculiar about the way Aragorn looks here; there's something youthful about him. Any thoughts or observations of your own?: He's good-looking (as always) in this shot.

2.) We can assume he's looking at Legolas here, but is there something more going on with his eyes?: It's the sudden realisation that Merry and Pippin might still be alive.

3.) In general, what sort of emtions (if any at all) can be distinguished here?: Hope and determination.

4.) Any other thoughts/comments?: Epic picture!

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
......And those words were so easy to say."

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 16 2012, 5:18pm

Post #11 of 12 (201 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn photo [In reply to] Can't Post

His eyes are wider than usual, and slightly surprised, and that always makes people look more vulnerable therefore younger.

He looks slightly startled as if he is thinking quickly of what to do next.

to me he looks like he is reacting to something he is seeing, something is going on but i dont know what it is.

I love his hair and costume

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 2:08pm

Post #12 of 12 (437 views)
Shortcut
Like my dog when you give her a treat [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks clean and fresh for someone who has been traveling by foot over rough country for days.

They seem focused inwardly - either thinking or remembering. He's interpreting an important and surprising sign.

Hope, excitement, wonder

It reminds me of when I drop a piece of sausage or sandwich for my dog and after much uncertain hoping and wishing, she finally gets a treat and knows it all paid off and there might be more treats in the future if she is lucky and good.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.