Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Three months out: Hobbit vs FOTR anticipation?
Poll: Three months out: Hobbit vs FOTR anticipation?
I am more excited about The Hobbit than I was for FOTR 14 / 21%
I am more worried about The Hobbit than I was for FOTR 9 / 13%
My anticipation is about the same 2 / 3%
I was more excited about FOTR than I am about The Hobbit 15 / 22%
I was more worried about FOTR than I am about The Hobbit 6 / 9%
I didn't know about FOTR three months out 22 / 32%
68 total votes

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2012, 4:09am

Post #1 of 20 (745 views)
Shortcut
Three months out: Hobbit vs FOTR anticipation? Can't Post

How does your anticipation of The Hobbit compare to how you felt with three months to go until the release of the Fellowship of the Ring?

(Multiple answers allowed.)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2012, 5:40am

Post #2 of 20 (285 views)
Shortcut
I was both more excited and more worried for FOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

Having seen what they did with LOTR, I know more of the sort of thing I can expect. In addition, I am one of those who prefers the tone of LOTR (the book) to The Hobbit (the book) and so am less disturbed by the "putting TH in the context of the larger world and story" and "fitting in with LOTR tonally" issues than some are. If The Hobbit movie(s) had come first, however, it would likely have been the other way around because of all the unknowns.

Overall, I'd say I'm looking forward to TH with pleasurable anticipation rather than mixed elation and dread, like I was for FOTR.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 6:23am

Post #3 of 20 (295 views)
Shortcut
More excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't an internet user when FOTR came out - I had read the books and was just waiting for the films. I haven't missed the build-up this time round. Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 6:28am

Post #4 of 20 (331 views)
Shortcut
I missed out on FOTR hype. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just a kid, who had neither read the books, or heard anything about these films. When I saw it however, I quickly read the whole trilogy, so I knew what to expect in TTT and ROTK. And most of you know what I think about the movies! (I like them more than the books)

Misto
Lorien

Sep 14 2012, 2:02pm

Post #5 of 20 (272 views)
Shortcut
What FOTR-hype again? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was just a kid, who had neither read the books, or heard anything about these films.

Pretty much the same here. Only that I was nearly out of school by that time and had a friend who loved Lord of the rings and mentioned that it was being made into movies. But that's about as much as I realised about them. I first watched them about seven or eight years later and read the book only recently.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 2:31pm

Post #6 of 20 (292 views)
Shortcut
FOTR was flying under my radar [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew it was coming. I had read the books decades earlier. I wanted to watch it. But there was no heady anticipation for it.

Now... if you're talking TTT and ROTK... that's a different matter. :-)

With the Hobbit, I thought I'd be very excited. I wanted to be very excited. But I've realized that the type of excitement that is celebrated in a community doesn't really exist for this movie like I experienced it for TTT and ROTK. And I guess I'm a little worried that the direction the movies are taking may veer too much from some expectation I would have for them for me to properly enjoy them. So I'm trying to keep things on the (gentle) 'anticipation' side and not so much on the 'expectation' side of things.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 14 2012, 2:32pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 3:05pm

Post #7 of 20 (259 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry you feel that way, magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

With the Hobbit, I thought I'd be very excited. I wanted to be very excited. But I've realized that the type of excitement that is celebrated in a community doesn't really exist for this movie like I experienced it for TTT and ROTK.

I know what you mean, though I don't feel that way - I'm very excited seeing my favourite book of all time coming to life. I have been waiting all my (reasonably short) life (well, almost Tongue), and I love the thrill and suspense of not knowing how they will tackle it. I'm a little worried that I won't like it, but not as much as I am excited that it's finally here.

By the way, as a fellow LOTR music enthusiast - are you not at least a little curious of Howard Shore's OST for The Hobbit (x3)? Cool

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 3:53pm

Post #8 of 20 (279 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember that far back, lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have trouble remembering how I felt last week. Laugh

Seriously, though, my feelings are mixed. Before FOTR, I was a little worried about some of the things I'd been hearing about what PJ was doing. And since LOTR is my favorite book in the whole world, it enhanced those worries.

Now, having seen the LOTR films, I know what PJ is capable of doing, so I'm kind of more worried about the Hobbit movies. On the other hand, the Hobbit is not my favorite book, and I'm less emotionally invested in it, so maybe it's dialing back some of my concern.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Sep 14 2012, 3:54pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 4:50pm

Post #9 of 20 (255 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I'll enjoy the music [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're wondering why that wouldn't ramp up my excitement for the movie, well... it's just too early. When I hear it, I'll be excited. Now there's nothing to 'get excited' about. (except for the trailer music which had me jumping up and down).

And just because I think I'll like the music doesn't necessarily mean I'll love the movie. We'll see, I guess.

diedye
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2012, 5:37pm

Post #10 of 20 (261 views)
Shortcut
None of the above... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. I was not interested in LOTR at all. I actually rolled my eyes when I heard it was coming out. I had seen Bakshi's version a few years before and thought, "ugh... here we go again." So, I didn't actually see FOTR until the summer after it came out, on DVD (I got it at a clearance sale and bought it because I was bored and figured I had nothing to lose but 5 bucks)...then I was hooked! Heart

As for The Hobbit, for some reason I've a MEH kinda attitude towards it. I don't follow EVERY minor detail, but I do get excited when I see pictures of Bilbo and Gandalf and LOTR alumni in the promos. The MEH kinda kicked in when I got a look at the dwarves... not what I pictured at all... I thought they'd all be more like Gimli... and Thorin is WAY too young and svelte! Unimpressed

Anyway, I haven't seen the latest trailers or behind-the-scenes stuff yet, but I think my enthusiasm will pick up when we get much closer to the premiere date... especially when the trailers start to appear on TV.

imin
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 7:09pm

Post #11 of 20 (272 views)
Shortcut
Was more excited previously [In reply to] Can't Post

I can not remember exactly when i found out the lord of the rings was being made into a movie but i know it was sometime around 3 months out - basically whenever the marketing got into gear and really pushed it.

I had just finished the lotr and it was already my favourite book and i was 13, the perfect storm for obsessing really!

i quickly (for me) read the trilogy again before fotr came out and watched anything on tv related to it or any newspaper/magazine article.

this time i am older with more worries so they put the film into perspective where as at 13 it was the biggest most important event to happen ever!

This time round i have followed the hobbit movies way way more than any of the lotr movies - not sure if that is a good thing or not. I know others dont like it but for me i like the heated debates on the hobbit board - make me laugh!

I am still excited for these upcoming movies though and i expect i will enjoy them just as much or hopefully even more!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 10:34pm

Post #12 of 20 (228 views)
Shortcut
Note to self ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
.. I was not interested in LOTR at all. I actually rolled my eyes when I heard it was coming out. I had seen Bakshi's version a few years before and thought, "ugh... here we go again." So, I didn't actually see FOTR until the summer after it came out, on DVD (I got it at a clearance sale and bought it because I was bored and figured I had nothing to lose but 5 bucks)...then I was hooked! Heart

As for The Hobbit, for some reason I've a MEH kinda attitude towards it. I don't follow EVERY minor detail, but I do get excited when I see pictures of Bilbo and Gandalf and LOTR alumni in the promos. The MEH kinda kicked in when I got a look at the dwarves... not what I pictured at all... I thought they'd all be more like Gimli... and Thorin is WAY too young and svelte! Unimpressed

Anyway, I haven't seen the latest trailers or behind-the-scenes stuff yet, but I think my enthusiasm will pick up when we get much closer to the premiere date... especially when the trailers start to appear on TV.

Do not read the forum when tired. I read the first line as: I am not interested in LOTR at all. Unimpressed

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 10:36pm

Post #13 of 20 (222 views)
Shortcut
It's a good thing [In reply to] Can't Post

This time round i have followed the hobbit movies way way more than any of the lotr movies - not sure if that is a good thing or not. I know others dont like it but for me i like the heated debates on the hobbit board - make me laugh!

What else could we possible spend our time doing?! That's the wonders of uni, we can get away with doing very little. Shocked

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 12:42am

Post #14 of 20 (218 views)
Shortcut
similar thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd had such hopes for the Bakshi version only to be severely disappointed in the visuals and then only getting half the story.

I did go see FOTR during Christmas break and fell for it. It pulled me into the Internet communities and here I am eleven years later.

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 15 2012, 7:16pm

Post #15 of 20 (209 views)
Shortcut
Anticipation [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew about FOTR when it was already release in DVD/VHS. I didn't know Tolkien and hsi works and some friends at school at the time told me about the films and the books and they were fond of them. It happens that FOTR was on TV about the same time and so I saw it for the first time in French translation.

Well, as for my anticipation of The Hobbit adaptation, I am concerned how the approach towards the book will be made with these 3 blockbusters. If they can respect the book and his story without straying too much and adding too much elements and characters that does not belong to The hobbit or his background, that might not be so bad. But some worrisome (and conflicting) rumours and informations are not so encouraring. I guess I will all find out (of the first part) in the theater when watching the film.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 15 2012, 7:21pm)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2012, 4:35pm

Post #16 of 20 (190 views)
Shortcut
I'm more excited about The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

But that is because I wasn't that much into LOTR/FOTR at that moment. I knew the movie was coming and I managed to get tickets to a pre-showing of FOTR. But I just read the books twice and was just wondering what they would do to it, nothing special. Now I'm much more into Tolkien and the world he has created. I've read much more, talked to people here, went to convention, went to NZ for a LOTR-tour and now even going to NZ for the premiere of The Hobbit. So you can figure I'm much more into The Hobbit this time.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 16 2012, 7:07pm

Post #17 of 20 (169 views)
Shortcut
what she said [In reply to] Can't Post

as usual Wink

Patty
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 12:06pm

Post #18 of 20 (203 views)
Shortcut
This is kinda how I feel, Silverlode, except... [In reply to] Can't Post

that after I saw Heavenly Creatures I did not dread that I would not enjoy Fellowship--I was comfortable enough that PJ could do the job. And I loved the story so much that I just wanted to see a movie version of it--I don't think it occurred to me that it might be AWFUL. My optimism was, as it turned out for me, justified.

But as for The Hobbit, well, let's just say I MUCH prefer LotR, and my enthusiasm level is not nearly as high for the upcoming movies. It peaks when there is a vlog out, but then it cools. Just so long as I get to see more of Middle-earth looking similar to the established movies but telling The Hobbit tale I'll be content. It's near the birthdays, and as usual I get the urge to "follow Bilbo" so I might do a marathon of LotR to get myself more in the mood.

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 8:42pm

Post #19 of 20 (194 views)
Shortcut
Equal [In reply to] Can't Post

If you had asked me about a month ago, I'd have said I was more excited about FOTR, but since the new trailer came out, my excitement for The Hobbit has grown and I'd say it's now about the same as it was with FOTR. It's hard to compare though, because when FOTR was coming out I was younger and had only recently read TH, LOTR etc. for the first time, so it was all fresh excitement.

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 1:46am

Post #20 of 20 (255 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know about FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

until, a few weeks before it came out, I walked past this poster in the cinema.

I can't remember what film I was there to see, but the poster absolutely blew my socks off. I was only 11 or 12 at the time but TH, closely followed by LOTR, were my favourite books evarrr, and when I saw the poster I nearly screamed/fainted/had a complete fangirl attack. My mum turned round, saw what I was looking at and said 'Ohh, no....I hoped you wouldn't see that....' just as I began babbling 'ohmygodohmygodwehavetogoseethatcanwepleasegoseethatpleasecanyoutakemeI'lldoanything' etc.

So at the three months out stage, my excitement for FOTR was non-existent, because I didn't know about it, but when I did catch on it had the crazed intensity only a 12-year-old can produce.

I am super excited for the Hobbit, but also more worried; as well as legitimate doubts about the movie, I don't think anything could ever live up to the hype we've created around LOTR. We all love it way too much, we're all way too nostalgic about it, for a sequel to ever measure up. They just never do. Still, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.