Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Study: How LOTR has influenced the economy of New Zealand

Ballemand
The Shire

Sep 13 2012, 7:39am

Post #1 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
Study: How LOTR has influenced the economy of New Zealand Can't Post

Hi Guys Wink

I'm a 19-year old guy from Denmark - and I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings!

I'm on my last year of what equals to College - and in a few months I'm going to do a study.
My plan is to mix International economics and English - and then I though it would be awesome to find out how the making of the Lord of the Rings (and the Hobbit) movies has contributed to the economics of New Zealand.
I know for sure that the making of the films has been positive for their (your, if you're from NZ) economy, e.g. creating a lot of jobs.

So my question to you is if you know anything specific about the Frodo economy.

I'm really looking forward to the Hobbit!

Thank you in advance. Tongue

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 13 2012, 3:49pm

Post #2 of 19 (186 views)
Shortcut
You'll want to search these boards, [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Board especially, for threads and links to articles in or around October 2010. That was when the Hobbit budget was announced. There was an emergency session of parliament about the budget and IIRC statistical arguments were offered as a rationale to change a law and for the NZ government to invest heavily in the film in order to promote tourism.

Also I'm thinking of US President Obama giving an original LOTR Sting prop to NZ Prime Minister John Key when he visited the US in July 2011. (I can't remember if there was an economic aspect to the visit or if it was mainly about NZ's anti-nuclear stance.)

That's just two places to begin your research. Kristen Thompson's book "The Frodo Franchise" is about the impact LOTR had on many things, including NZ. I would snoop around here: http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/ and then get a hold of her book.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 13 2012, 7:16pm

Post #3 of 19 (149 views)
Shortcut
Reports have been done by the New Zealand Government [In reply to] Can't Post

and the New Zealand Tourism Board, and possibly the Film Commission. Do a Google hunt to see if you can dig them up.

Good luck with your paper! When you've finished it, would you mind posting it here for us to read and comment on? I'd be interested to see what you come up with. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ballemand
The Shire

Sep 13 2012, 8:40pm

Post #4 of 19 (158 views)
Shortcut
Study: How LOTR has influenced the economy of New Zealand [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, thanks for your replies guys. ;)
- it means a lot to me!

I will without hesitating read The Frodo Franchise. It's just what I need!

Unfortunately, I will write the paper in Danish. And I'm not counting on any of you would understand it.
But as a part of the paper, I have to write an abstract, which will be in English.
The abstract will include my most important conclusions on the paper - so maybe it will suffice? :)

Thanks again!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2012, 12:09am

Post #5 of 19 (128 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything you care to share will be great. :)

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 14 2012, 1:19am

Post #6 of 19 (129 views)
Shortcut
There are a few Danish speakers here // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ballemand
The Shire

Sep 14 2012, 6:11am

Post #7 of 19 (121 views)
Shortcut
Then I will share it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha. Nice :)
I wasn't sure if there were any Danes here..
But you can have a look at it when it's done.

Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 1:31pm

Post #8 of 19 (100 views)
Shortcut
Frodo Franchise is a perfect start :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wellington and Matamata (where Hobbiton is) would be interesting focal points, too. Wellington was re-named "Middle-earth" for The Return of the King premier in 2003 and the city was over-run with tourists and fans. And Matamata has become a major draw for the nation with tours through Hobbiton. That has become a permanent location now and has had a huge impact to the local economy. Just the flights into Auckland (International Airport) and Wellington have increased so much.

Good luck on your work :)

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ballemand
The Shire

Sep 15 2012, 2:31pm

Post #9 of 19 (97 views)
Shortcut
yum! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot - I will check that out!!

I have a feeling this is going to be great. :-)

I'm still open to any information related to this.
Thanks guys ;-)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2012, 3:58pm

Post #10 of 19 (95 views)
Shortcut
Papers on movie-tourism [In reply to] Can't Post

I know several people who have written their PhD paper on movie-tourism in New Zealand. I think if you Google on movie-tourism and LOTR I think you will find a lot of information.

Good luck on the paper. I think it is a great subject.

Ballemand
The Shire

Sep 16 2012, 6:02pm

Post #11 of 19 (97 views)
Shortcut
Wow.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that.. Thanks a lot, Rosie :)

I will check that out!

I have also found the documentary from National Geographic "The Lord of the Rings - Beyond the Movie".
I think it will provide good background information. ;)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2012, 8:41pm

Post #12 of 19 (77 views)
Shortcut
Ringers [In reply to] Can't Post

is a documentary that had a lot of involvement from TORn and also gives a great view of Tolkien, the books, the movies and the effects all of them had on the fans.
And it is really entertaining to watch, with Dominic Monaghan doing voice over.

Ballemand
The Shire

Oct 7 2012, 4:11pm

Post #13 of 19 (70 views)
Shortcut
The last week I... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys!

I just finished reading Frodo Franchise, and found it very useful. There's definitely lots of stats and quotes I will be able to use in my paper.

As Kristen says herself, it's nearly impossible calculating how much LOTR has injected into the economy (and local economy) of New Zealand.

Now, I'm in the process of collecting more data from various articles I've bookmarked. I think I have more than 100 bookmarks I found useful - so let's see about that. Smile

I'm very curious about this:
are there any New Zealanders reading this very post, and have in any way personally (economially) been influenced by LOTR?

Another aspect I want to research in my paper will be how the filming of the Hobbit Trilogy will be expected to influence the economy.
Has the level of tourism spiked, or does it contain the capacity of reaching a higher level?

- I hope you understand what I mean, anyways let me try to explain it in other words.

By the way, I read about you guys (TORn) in the book. Thanks for giving me this opportunity, to gain information for my paper and sharing my thoughts with you. Wink

From a more devoted Tolkien fan than 3 weeks ago,
Kasper.

Ballemand
The Shire

Oct 10 2012, 7:08am

Post #14 of 19 (65 views)
Shortcut
R U there? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey guys!

Are you there? Cool

Ballemand
The Shire

Oct 13 2012, 7:50pm

Post #15 of 19 (72 views)
Shortcut
C'mon guys :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Are none of you from NZ and have felt the impact personally?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 8:02pm

Post #16 of 19 (68 views)
Shortcut
threads don't bump here at TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

In most forums, when you reply to a thread, it bumps that thread to the top of the display listing. But that doesn't happen here. Once a thread falls to the second page, it pretty much becomes inactive.

If you want to ask for more responses, you'll have to post a new thread.

I estimate we have about a half dozen members from NZ. Not a huge number, by any means.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 13 2012, 8:18pm

Post #17 of 19 (72 views)
Shortcut
OK. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been economically influenced by LOTR.

As for this question:
Has the level of tourism spiked, or does it contain the capacity of reaching a higher level?

...you're asking two different questions.

NZ tourism did certainly receive a spike in numbers to do with LOTR, which has since lessened. As for tourism's capacity - as it relates to LOTR, I'm guessing - this time around the tourism industry is more prepared before the Hobbit movies come out than they were before FOTR was released.

Here are some news stories for you to look at:

Hobbit tourism scattters more of Tolkien's magic across New Zealand

John Key in Los Angeles

Information from Tourism New Zealand

Tourism blitz to lure fans of The Hobbit

Ataahua's stories

Ballemand
The Shire

Oct 13 2012, 8:55pm

Post #18 of 19 (72 views)
Shortcut
ahh.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that.
I never entered this topic by browsing the forum..

I will create a new thread then.

Thanks Magpie :-)

Ballemand
The Shire

Oct 13 2012, 9:06pm

Post #19 of 19 (85 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the links.
I will check out the articles. :-)

Yeah, I too believe that the tourism industry will be more prepared for the release of the Hobbit. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.