Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - "And orcses, thousands of orcses!"

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2012, 2:28am

Post #1 of 13 (878 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - "And orcses, thousands of orcses!" Can't Post

Gollum is "roped" into leading Frodo and Sam to the Black Gate, and thus begins a heated debate.

1.) What's Gollum's primary concern at this instant? Is he more concerned with himself than the Ring? If so, do his fears outway his lust? Elaborate.

2.) Taking a moment to examine the visual detail, what are some things you notice here that you might overlook in real time?

3.) Abolishing all context with the movie, how would this image come across off-hand? Note Gollum, Frodo, focus and contrast.

4.) Any other thoughts/comments?

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 13 2012, 12:46am

Post #2 of 13 (251 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen this image [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) What's Gollum's primary concern at this instant? Is he more concerned with himself than the Ring? If so, do his fears outway his lust? Elaborate.

I wish I knew, I don't recall this scene. Is it from the Extended Editions?

2.) Taking a moment to examine the visual detail, what are some things you notice here that you might overlook in real time?

Let me see...I'd have to say the scenery and Frodo in the background. The focus is so concentrated on Gollum, you could miss the overall scenery, which is not a bad thing, inf act in highlights Gollum's predicament.

3.) Abolishing all context with the movie, how would this image come across off-hand? Note Gollum, Frodo, focus and contrast.

Well, it would be interesting to see Frodo's expression. But Gollum's expression is priceless, he looks so angsty and torn up, a side that he doesn't usually show.

I want to see this scene. I must get the EE somehow.

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 13 2012, 2:37pm

Post #3 of 13 (218 views)
Shortcut
Any reason you haven't seen the EE's? [In reply to] Can't Post

They're essential!

You'll also get to find out why Brego comes to Aragorn's rescue and other great stuff!

Seriously, no matter what Jackson says, I think a lot of us consider the EE's the definitve versions of the movies.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 13 2012, 2:45pm

Post #4 of 13 (215 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful shot [In reply to] Can't Post

Iím don't think that Gollum can distinguish between himself and the Ring. His entire identity is pretty much wrapped around it. Heís been traumatized by his treatment in Mordor, which is what is affecting him here, I think, but I donít think his desire to do anything in his power to get the ring back is ever in doubt.

The details on Gollumís face. Thatís a great expression there and I love all the spots and the way his hair is hanging. A lot of people say that Gollum doesnít feel real to them, but even after all these years, he looks incredibly lifelike to me.

Itís interesting that Gollum is light in this image, while Frodo is dark. Perhaps a symbol of Frodo having the ring? Either way, itís a great shot Ė excellent choice.

Andy Serkis was robbed! I had never cared that much about the Oscars before, but I must admit I was disappointed (but not surprised) that he didnít get a BSA nomination for The Two Towers. I also wonder if Iím the only one who almost never watched the Oscars before or after LotR, but followed them intently those three years. Sorry Ė this doesnít have much to do with the picture, but I love Anky Serkisís Gollum. :-)

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 13 2012, 5:41pm

Post #5 of 13 (210 views)
Shortcut
Almost disconcerting, in a way. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kassandros has it right. There is not distinction between him and the Precious. If he loses himself, than the Precious is lost. The look in his eyes is concerned with the dangers which lie ahead which he knows first hand, where he was pushed to the edge of death by Sauron's minions. He has seen them many times, and knows what they are capable of. Going there could mean the end for both of his halves.

I always loved the rock sets for Emyn Muil. I understand that it was near torture for Elijah and Sean to be working on that stuff day after day, but the bubbily texture of everything is unmatched. I couldn't imagine such beautiful and foreboding mountains here in the East Coast.

Perhaps not the greatest shot, except for showing off Gollum's expressions. I just love the way he's seething in his torment, looking for salvation. There's so many brilliant Gollum facial moments, and this is one of them. The glint in his eyes always gets me. The focus could have given a bit more even distribution to the scene though, so that Frodo and Sam could be seen reacting to this unknown fear.

Gollum is the best character of TTT, hands down.

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 13 2012, 6:15pm

Post #6 of 13 (184 views)
Shortcut
East Coast Mountains (OT) [In reply to] Can't Post

"I couldn't imagine such beautiful and foreboding mountains here in the East Coast."

How about Katahdin in Maine?

West Virginia also has some great rocky mountains, but I'm not sure I'd call them foreboding. The Appalachians defintely have beautiful covered, though, from Georgia to Maine.

(Never been to Katahdin, but that's something I'd like to fix...)

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 13 2012, 10:16pm

Post #7 of 13 (172 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly the same, but nice landscape! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit that I haven't explored a lot of the countryside out here, but I think the 'typical' view of landscapes is basically encapsulated here. Not to say there aren't some magnificent things, but I get angered at Pine Trees. Don't know what that says about me.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 14 2012, 12:52am

Post #8 of 13 (200 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is a reason [In reply to] Can't Post

I sadly don't have them. Frown And I've been having a hard time finding the DVD versions. I don't have Blu-Ray, so I have to use DVD.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2012, 1:50pm

Post #9 of 13 (174 views)
Shortcut
If you're one for online purchases, [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon.ca has them for a decent price (compared to when they were first released). So the option is always there. Give 'em a whirl if you ever get the chance. Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 15 2012, 12:15am

Post #10 of 13 (138 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear [In reply to] Can't Post

The details on Gollumís face. Thatís a great expression there and I love all the spots and the way his hair is hanging. A lot of people say that Gollum doesnít feel real to them, but even after all these years, he looks incredibly lifelike to me.

I agree - I feel that even after all this time, the depiction of Gollum has 'aged well'. To me, he still looks as lifelike and as nuanced now as he did then.

Andy Serkis was robbed! I had never cared that much about the Oscars before, but I must admit I was disappointed (but not surprised) that he didnít get a BSA nomination for The Two Towers. I also wonder if Iím the only one who almost never watched the Oscars before or after LotR, but followed them intently those three years. Sorry Ė this doesnít have much to do with the picture, but I love Anky Serkisís Gollum. :-).

And agree there too! At least now though, it seems that as time has passed he is beginning to receive the recognition he deserves. Yay :)!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 12:26am

Post #11 of 13 (143 views)
Shortcut
Thanks One Ringer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 9:41pm

Post #12 of 13 (141 views)
Shortcut
O.o that's quite interesting, Gollum isn't as real looking here as I had imagined [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's actually concerned not only with his own safety, but that of Frodo and Sam. I think ring-lust also should not be separated from his care for safety in this situation. To him, the ring is something so dear that needs to be protected and saved from returning to the Dark Lord. I think 'we mus'n't let him have it' is actually quite accurate and truthful of Smeagol. Maybe I'm wrong though Wink

His craaazy ear hehe. Weird throat. Very bumpy back and many things besides.

hmmm I really don't know. I'd say it come off-hand as weeeird.

Wonder how dramatically different The Hobbit Gollum CGI-wise will be...

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day during this week of Tolkien week!

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 1:01am

Post #13 of 13 (373 views)
Shortcut
a pivotal moment [In reply to] Can't Post

"Don't give it to him", his voice really cracked on that line so I think that's where he's at.

Gollum's eyes are really deeply sunken in.

Everything else is fading and blurring except for the focus on Gollum. I think this is a moment where Gollum makes a key heroic move and the fates of many are changed by his actions.

I wonder if his teeth hurt - they look pretty badly uncared for.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.