Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Venting steam about Channel 4

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 10:50am

Post #1 of 8 (159 views)
Shortcut
Venting steam about Channel 4 Can't Post

Earlier this year, I was frankly disgusted to see advertising for Channel 4's new programme about disabled people finding relationships. The title? 'The Undateables'. As a disabled young woman, I was upset, then incensed, then somewhat resigned to the stupidity of marketing departments and the fact that this message was pasted across billboards everywhere.

Then came the Paralympics. Despite the technical hitches at times, coverage was good, and I was truly inspired by their advertising campaign (featuring P.Es 'Harder than you think'). Channel 4 were back in my good books. Until Sunday night.

When there was screened a show which seemed, it consisted (from the write-up, I didn't watch it), of disabled people playing practical jokes on able-bodied people. My issue was with the name of this show, which I would rather not use, but was a terrible pun on 'I Sparticus', using (In my opinion), insulting language to describe disability. I found it very upsetting to see the positive message created by the Paralympics potentially damaged by this thoughtless labeling.

Who on earth are Channel 4 employing in their marketing department?! When will they learn?

I would be interested to hear if anyone else noticed this or was affected by it.

Disclaimer: This is simply my opinion. I do not wish to offend anyone or start inflammatory debate, but I would be interested to hear people's take on this. Unsure

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 11:10am

Post #2 of 8 (82 views)
Shortcut
The Paralympics was outstanding [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope it gave people (both disabled and able-bodied) inspiration. These are true "heroes" and "role models" - not those things that are called "celebrities" and get on TV because of what they look like (or however much money they have).

I can't comment on the show you're talking about, I missed it, but I did watch The Undateables. Straight away I was digusted by the title of it, and the premise of the programme. They ultimately turned the people on the show into jokes. It was uncomfortable to watch, and should've complained at the time. The programme was deliberatly made (and shown) to be controversial ... sadly, it gets the viewing figures. But they simply riducled them on TV. I don't have fun at other people's expense. While I learnt quite a large amount from the people that appeared on the programme, it was far too disingenuous.

Sadly, programme's like this will always be shown on channels 4 and 5. I would never expect something like this on BBC or ITV.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 11:38am

Post #3 of 8 (64 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your reply [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The programme was deliberatly made (and shown) to be controversial ... sadly, it gets the viewing figures.

I think this is the crux of the matter. Unfortunately, one person's 'edgy' can often be another's 'insulting'.

I should perhaps clarify (not for you specifically, but for everyone), that I have no issue with people joking about their disability if they want to, but it is wrong to assume that every disabled person will find this kind of black humour equally amusing.

Thanks again, and I agree that the Paralympic coverage was very good.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2012, 11:59am

Post #4 of 8 (70 views)
Shortcut
I didnt see those shows [In reply to] Can't Post

prank shows really annoy me anyway! From what I can see of the reviews of it though they range from it being insulting or just plain awful.

Did you watch the "last leg" after the main coverage each night. I thought it was quite good not be afraid to poke fun at some of the paralympians (Jason Cundy for instance!) but was also actually funny! . It would be interesting to hear what you thought of it.

As for the C4 coverage not bad - not as comprehensive as BBC of course, though they spent too much time on intervies and stories rather than the action! Also some of the commentators were not that good and the adverst were annoying.

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 12:25pm

Post #5 of 8 (74 views)
Shortcut
I didn't watch 'Last Leg' [In reply to] Can't Post

although I might well. I got the feeling that it had been done slightly more tastefully. As in, it wasn't too offensive and may actually have been amusing.

I must also admit that I watched very little of the Paralympics, and was only interested in the fencing, (naturally Cool)

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 1:58pm

Post #6 of 8 (66 views)
Shortcut
The Undateables ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a vulgar title. I can just see a conference room full of witless ninny's sitting around and laughing at how "clever" they all are.....pitiful. I cancelled my cable service about a year and a half ago due to the massive amount of utterly useless and uninteresting programming. I prefer to program my own viewing habits via Netflix streaming, and a massive blu ray collection. I refuse to give anymore money to these fools.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 3:50pm

Post #7 of 8 (39 views)
Shortcut
The title was the worst bit [In reply to] Can't Post

If I remember rightly, the opening titles started with "dateable", then "un" swang in by the side. Just awful.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 5:44pm

Post #8 of 8 (50 views)
Shortcut
Good move [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that shares these views - thanks for the support all!

We have 'Freeview' so that means we don't get hundreds of rubbish channels - but we get enough.

Channel 4 may well be getting a strongly worded letter from me. Polite, but firm.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.