Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
USA's Public Broadcast Service to air Wagner's Ring Cycle this week!

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Sep 10 2012, 7:17pm

Post #1 of 19 (282 views)
Shortcut
USA's Public Broadcast Service to air Wagner's Ring Cycle this week! Can't Post

Check your local listings for times. They will be aired starting tomorrow September 11th with 'Das Rheingold' and will end the 14th with 'Goetterdaemerrung'! With 'Die Walkuere" on Wednesday and 'Siegfried' on Thursday. There will be a one hour special tonight on the preparations for filming this epic music drama series from Maestro Wagner. See the 'original' lord of the rings saga. This is part of PBS's Great Performances series. Enjoy! I know I surely will.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:24pm

Post #2 of 19 (132 views)
Shortcut
I take it this isn't the old one with Levine directing? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been my favorite so far. I first saw it on PBS.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285990/

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Sep 10 2012, 7:25pm)

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Sep 10 2012, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 19 (120 views)
Shortcut
Patty no it's the Met's new production by Robert Lapage. See link ---------> [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.pbs.org/...bout-the-opera/1312/

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:41pm

Post #4 of 19 (95 views)
Shortcut
okay. Tomorrow at 9 here in Indy. I will be there. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 3:18pm

Post #5 of 19 (97 views)
Shortcut
I watched the "making of" special last night [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been an opera-goer since I was 12 and have always been in awe of the sets and staging. Up until "Les Mis" you never saw that level of effort on stage with anything except opera. Lapage wants to set the bar even higher . . . and mostly succeeds, with a couple of glitches.

And the new Siegfried . . . hoo, baby! (fans self)

I'll be recording these.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 4:17am

Post #6 of 19 (108 views)
Shortcut
I watched it... [In reply to] Can't Post

My impressions. Love the voices. Everyone was spot on, as was the music (how else, with Levine conducting?) I have to admit I didn't like the staging with those planks. It just didn't work for me as well as the old Levine production I mentioned above. And I preferred the former's use of an eye patch instead of the hair covering Woton's eye.

Moral to Woton: have you heard about affordable housing? The ones that you don't have to put your sister-in-law up to pay for.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 12 2012, 1:32pm

Post #7 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
Loved the music, the set not so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to get up at five to go to work this morning, after staying up until midnight. But I woke up with that wonderful music running through my head :-) I'm looking forward to the rest of them.

I loved the music, of course, and the amazing lighting, and some of the costumes. The set, on the other hand, just made me nervous, waiting for the singers to be mangled. And what was with those ugly hats the rhinemaidens were wearing? When I watched the little behind-the-scenes video afterward, I could see that the women were very pretty. But those hats made them hideous. I want rhinemaidens to look like Arthur Rackham's illustrations :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2012, 6:28pm

Post #8 of 19 (104 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm such a pragmatist, and not a Wagner fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep thinking that the whole sorry mess could've been avoided if the letch and the shrew had just gotten divorced when they should've.Evil

And how on Earth do you stage an opera with a Ring of Power at its center these days without drawing the inevitable comparisons? Or maybe that's a good comparison to draw, considering how much more capably Tolkien dealt with ancient Germanic/Anglo-Saxon themes than Wagner ever could have, given the ways in which his prejudices and life choices filter into his art.

On the plus side: Bryn Terfel. always. Even when his character (Wotan) is reprehensible and oddly stiff and he looks like Meatloaf (the eyepatch helped).
Jonas Kaufmann (Siegmund): even if his character's situation makes my skin crawl, his singing was superb.
Eva-Maria Westbroek (Sieglinde): same as for Kaufmann.
Stephanie Blythe (Fricka): good voice and appropriately manipulative, whiny and sadistic.
Eric Owen as Alberich is a real standout, even though I'm troubled by the (unintended, I hope) way his casting lends support to some of Wagner's less admirable beliefs.
And for a production as complex as an entire Ring cycle is, I thought the set was, overall, more effective than not, even if it errs more to the George Lucas end of the "let's use lots of tech!" spectrum than to the Peter Jackson end (tech serves story, not story serves tech, Lapage!).

Negatives for me: Overall, the acting has been a disappointment (with the exceptions I mention above). This is a bad story, with bad and good people doing bad things for stupid reasons; but if you're going to tell it anyway, it needs to be much more convincing to a contemporary audience.
Minor point here, but the men's costumes in Das Rheingold: skirts on the gods and codpieces on the 'bad guys' - really?!? gimme a break!

I'll keep watching (on the DVR!). And I'll probably listen to Anna Russell's Ring sketch this weekend to cap it off.Cool

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 14 2012, 2:55am

Post #9 of 19 (81 views)
Shortcut
Oh you are in for a treat! Highly recommended! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the Live from the Met broadcast of the final opera in the cycle last year -- it was amazing! (and I don't even like opera!)

Hope you get/got to see them all!

Weaver

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 2:29pm

Post #10 of 19 (93 views)
Shortcut
Thank you *so much* for posting this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wanting to see the Ring cycle for decades. As a kid I found the libretto in a very yummy library book with Arthur Rackham illustrations, and loved the story; it seemed so much like Tolkien. As a young woman I bought the album on vinyl. A few years later I finally found a copy on the internet of that yummy book. But I'd never seen a performance.

Don't know why they had to run it 9-midnight or one or two AM. We didn't have a way to record, so I stayed up and watched them, and then got up at 5 to go to work. If I'd recorded them, I probably wouldn't have had time to watch them without carving out time from sleeping anyway. It's been grueling but well worth it. I probably would have missed it if you hadn't posted, since I don't watch TV much and don't look at what's on. I really loved it.

So thank you again!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 2:43pm

Post #11 of 19 (105 views)
Shortcut
Eric Owen was a standout for me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Jonas Kaufmann--well, you saw my EI thread. I thought his acting was great, as well as his singing and his looks. I cried when he was asking Brunhilde if Sieglinde would be there in Valhalla. And I thought the two of them (Siegmund and Sieglinde) had really great chemistry.

I liked Siegfried's acting too. He's always been such an unlikeable character, but this time he came across as just kind of dumb and almost sweet.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2012, 3:08am

Post #12 of 19 (70 views)
Shortcut
"Wait - this isn't a man!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Anna Russell described Siegfried as "a regular Li'l Abner". But what chance did he have, really? To quote Jeff Foxworthy, "if your family tree does not fork..."

I think he got the acting just right, too.

And I cried at that same moment with Siegmund - then I got a bit turned off, then I resented Wagner (not for the first time) for writing too many levels of relationship between Siegmund and Sieglinde. I just can't turn off that part of my brain and let the story take me along.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 9:58am

Post #13 of 19 (71 views)
Shortcut
I find the many levels intriguing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe because it's a fairy tale, I find the incest more intriguing than disturbing. Do you also find it disturbing that Brunhilde is Siegfried's aunt?

On the other hand, maybe it does explain why Siegfried is such a dim bulb.

I was trying to remember in what other context I'd heard the phrase "My sister, my bride" and I finally remembered that it's in the Bible, in the Song of Songs, 4:9-4-10:

9 You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride;
you have stolen my heart
with one glance of your eyes,
with one jewel of your necklace.
10 How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride!
How much more pleasing is your love than wine,
and the fragrance of your perfume
more than any spice!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 12:37pm

Post #14 of 19 (85 views)
Shortcut
When I say "I love the story", I don't really mean the plot. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really dislike the intrigue in the Twilight of the Gods, and a lot of the rest of the plot is a mess, as you say. What I love is the stuff: the dwarves and giants and gods and mermaids and the bird and the helm of invisiblity and the ring of doom. I came to the story first through the book, and I loved all the magical stuff. The Rhinegold is my favorite of the four for that reason.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2012, 3:04pm

Post #15 of 19 (59 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense to me!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2012, 3:07pm

Post #16 of 19 (62 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way Anna Russell (again!) puts it when Siegfried meets Gutrune: "She is the first woman he's ever met - ever - who hasn't been his aunt!" Including his mom.

Really, what chance did the guy have?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 5:49pm

Post #17 of 19 (67 views)
Shortcut
That made me laugh out loud. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Including his mom". It reminds me of a song my dad used to sing to us for a lullaby (he had some odd selections):

I'm My Own Grandpa

And there's this, from the Tom Lehrer song "Oedipus Rex":

Yes he loved his mother like no other.
His daughter was his sister and his son was his brother.
One thing on which you can depend is,
He sure knew who a boy's best friend is!

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 17 2012, 5:58pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 8:17pm

Post #18 of 19 (81 views)
Shortcut
I finally had time to listen to Anna Russell's hilarious performance. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the link! I laughed and laughed and laughed. I'll have to see if Uncle Baggins will watch it. He sat through most of the operas, and kept asking me what was going on.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 8:31pm

Post #19 of 19 (94 views)
Shortcut
Then there's this 2.5-minute version [In reply to] Can't Post

Browse|Movies |Upload
The Ring in 2.5 minutes -- with leitmotifs!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.