Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - The many moods of Frodo Baggins.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:44am

Post #26 of 44 (531 views)
Shortcut
I love that site... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for digging up the link and posting it..it's been awhile since I wandered in there and took a look around! It is interesting to see all of those images in one place!

Weaver

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 11 2012, 1:06am

Post #27 of 44 (537 views)
Shortcut
Very expressive [In reply to] Can't Post

1. How would you describe what Frodo is feeling in each of these images?

A. Terror, complete and utter terror.
B. Can't help but crack a smile
C. Bloody hell, we're lost
D. grave and serious
E. What are you doing cretin?!

2. Which expression do you feel is the most expressive and convincing? Which is the least so?

Pictures A-D are really expressive. E could be more expressive, instead of "What are you doing?!" it should be more threatening, and "Lay a hand on Sam, and I'll kill you." It's a serious scene, his expression should be more dramatic.

3. What do you think of the character of Frodo Baggins in this part of the movie? Is there any significance to the variety of moods represented here?

I think in all these scenes, Frodo is conveying the different moods he is going through. After all, he was rather moody because of the Ring.

4. Any other thoughts on these images, Frodo's character, or Elijah Wood's acting?

I know not everyone thinks so, but I thought Wood's acting was really good, and thought he did fine as Frodo Baggins. I couldn't imagine anyone else playing him. The only hting I wished, was that they made Frodo more serious, there were parts in the novel where I almost would describe as being a no-nonsense person. They left that aspect of him out of the films.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:28am

Post #28 of 44 (562 views)
Shortcut
We interrupt this thread for the following announcement: [In reply to] Can't Post

Just have to tell you, every time I see your name on the board this pops into my ear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXq5VvYAI1Q

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 11 2012, 1:35am

Post #29 of 44 (518 views)
Shortcut
I can think of a few moments from Film 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

-His fright in Bag End at what may be listening.
-His bit of hesitance when Gandalf pushes he and Sam off
-The initial feeling of the Nazgul on the road (which is a perfect capturing of the books, even though in a different context)
-Spying Strider in the room and growing more discontented as his friends draw attention to themselves
-The Boromir scene on the mountain, learning to fear him
-Caradhras
-Extended scene with Gandalf who tells him to be wary of the company
-The Watcher, obviously
-Seeing Gollum behind him
-The stairs
-His wariness with Galadriel
-Knowing Gollum has been following them
-And, of course, the Boromir then Aragorn scenes.

Even discounting the rest, that's four examples in which he steadily grows until Weathertop. His arc may not be completely evident because of the split, but it is there. He's grown in his adventure from the idealistic hobbit to realize there are darker things in this world, and he's ready to face against them. Sure, there weren't action moments for him before, but this was the emphasize the change if not the whole progression. It's hard to truly accept that he just gained so much strength in the books as well, and thus why a literal taxing journey works a bit better for establishing that.

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:48am

Post #30 of 44 (511 views)
Shortcut
I think those first four are pretty subtle... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree we get glimpses early on that there is more to this hobbit than meets the eye -- but to me it's far too subtle to do more than hint at what lies beneath the surface this early in the films. But you are right, they do start to distinguish Frodo pretty early on in little ways like this...!

I always liked the later scene in Rivendell where he tells Bilbo "I'm not like you", and they have that bit of a discussion about their adventures. I read that as Frodo feeling like he didn't measure up, in his own mind, to the sort of idealized image he had of himself, and that in part he accepted the Ring later on as a way to prove himself to himself, if I can put it that way. Did you see it that way? (I love discussing Film Frodo, so would be interested in what more you want to share on him!) Smile

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 2:04am

Post #31 of 44 (512 views)
Shortcut
see... now for me, it's this one [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDj3shXvco

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 11 2012, 2:06am

Post #32 of 44 (554 views)
Shortcut
Talking with Bilbo lies as a revlation for him [In reply to] Can't Post

He thinks he's done with the quest. The thing is that he never got to fight and monsters or go up against unstoppable odds. In fact, he was vacant for the end of the journey, and thus why he feels unfulfilled. Besides that, he had only gone such a short distance to reach Rivendell, where as Bilbo went what have seemed to world over, to a young hobbit, to finish his journey. Frodo says "My own adventure turned out to be quite different", but did it really? Did he ever really understand what Bilbo's journey meant to him? All he saw before was the story and the rushing adventure, but the emotional turmoil was a narrative above all else. Of course, this all ties into Sam's speech in TTT, and Frodo's volunteering of taking The Ring later in Fellowship. It's no longer about a "Tookish side", it's a realization of being the only one who will be able to see the quest to the end, and maybe understand Bilbo's plight through it.

As for the earlier hints, I think it's easy when you just transpose your feelings in the book to these scenes for reference, then reel back and understand they're own unique narrative they're telling. For example, fear of Farmer Maggot is easily equatable to his hesitance to step into the wide world, except going far beyond the boundaries that he's ever gone. Take away that particular context, and you realize that the way he looks out into the world beyond the Shire is an encapsulation of his memories and desires of those old stories, rather than any actual terror. Subtle character elements are often the most powerful, I feel, like I remember Bernard Hill commenting how he gives Gandalf the White a look like he might become another Wormtongue after Gandalf attempts to comfort the king. If it was something directly stated, it wouldn't make much sense, but because it's conveyed like that it doesn't interrupt the emotions of the story at large.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 11 2012, 2:07am

Post #33 of 44 (495 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

for a few reasons besides just the name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQ0Ryy01yE

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 2:21am

Post #34 of 44 (513 views)
Shortcut
Thanks and now you have me wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the Frodo/Bilbo Rivendell scene. Good points you make, particularly when you look at the films from the perspective of a book-firster. For the non-book readers, like my husband, I have found that he sees things that are surprising (in a good way) about the story and characters in a clearer and more direct way at times than me, just because the only thing he has to go on are what the films show him, and that he does not have to unlearn what he has learned, so to speak. And he's also a bit better than me about picking up on subtle things, as it true for you too it seems!

And now I'm thinking about how much "more" we will find out that Film Frodo knows about Bilbo's adventure once the Hobbit films come out -- based on the Trailer hint about "I may not have told you everything" it will be interesting to see how much of the Tale Frodo gets to hear, or if he'll just get to hear the juicy parts that get him dreaming of adventures of his own. I'm very curious to see how things in the Hobbit may cast a deeper or different light on the LOTR films; they've got a chance, really, to give future audiences, who see the Hobbit before the LOTR films, some insights that were not possible (from a film-only perspective) when the LOTR films first came out.

Weaver

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 2:35am

Post #35 of 44 (492 views)
Shortcut
All three ear worms, but the good kind [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

ps I see what you did there EscapistWink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 2:47am

Post #36 of 44 (515 views)
Shortcut
pps I rather like this version as well: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6xxgNTaiQs

"Where's your shame, you've left us up to our necks in it."

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 11 2012, 2:48am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 11 2012, 2:53am

Post #37 of 44 (488 views)
Shortcut
Oh - that version is a little different. [In reply to] Can't Post

One might say it got cha-cha-cha-chang-ed

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 12:24pm

Post #38 of 44 (479 views)
Shortcut
I always [In reply to] Can't Post

chuckle at this one. Mr. Deeds is a family favorite. :-)

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 2:51pm

Post #39 of 44 (485 views)
Shortcut
No, I hadn't! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great.

I guess I never really thought people literally meant that Elijah only had one expression, which, as this page shows, is kind of absurd. I thought they just weren't convinced by the emotion in it. He does have a few expressions he uses a fair amount, I think, which might contribute. But I'm a big fan of his Frodo and think he sold the believability of the story in many ways.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 12 2012, 12:45am

Post #40 of 44 (451 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I get that often, SirDennisC. Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 2:11am

Post #41 of 44 (449 views)
Shortcut
That's it [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously Elijah used more than one expression. Smile

It is just that he does the scared doe-eyed thing A LOT.

And to answer your previous question, yes, I always thought that Elijah wasn't the right actor for the job. But the more I see of him in the role, the more strongly I feel about it. Smile

elostirion74
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 7:59pm

Post #42 of 44 (444 views)
Shortcut
very interesting post [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your reasoning of why they chose Elijah Wood, what they were going for in their portrayal of Frodo and why he worked for so many are spot on. I also think the portrayal of Frodo we see in the films is in line with the general interpretation of LoTR and its main themes in the films as a whole.

Sadly I think the same reasons you´re quoting are precisely why Elijah Wood as Frodo (+ the way the role was written for the films) really works less for me than many of the other characters in the films. For me his role is an interpretation which is far too wholeheartedly centered on emotion and lacks a balance between emotion and reason/insight. Sam and Pippin are naturally much more emotional, funny and direct characters and as such they lend themselves much better to the emotional and very direct interpretation the films gave them.

Although Elijah´s acting at times tended towards being too self-conscious, I don´t think he did a bad job as an actor, though. In some instances, like when he talks with Boromir, or when he crawls on Mount Doom, or when he turns to look towards the other hobbits from the ships, I think he was brilliant.

elostirion74
Rohan

Sep 15 2012, 6:16am

Post #43 of 44 (422 views)
Shortcut
Elijah´s acting + [In reply to] Can't Post

It occured to me that calling Elijah´s acting "not bad" was quite unfair, as I´ve noticed from all my viewings that he gave many nuances to the role.

His moment when waking in the bed in Rivendell, his standing on the shore before setting out for Mordor and his acceptance of taking the Ring at the council were also among the moments where I think his acting was particularly good and moving. In FoTR, where Frodo actually has to learn to face and take on the enormity and weight of the task he´s been given, was the one that actually fitted Elijah´s acting best and in my opinion gave the most interesting portrayal of Frodo.

I don´t think time ever was a main issue with Frodo´s storyline, except perhaps at the start of FoTR. It´s all about the decisions made about the film maker´s concept of Frodo´s character.

elostirion74
Rohan

Sep 15 2012, 6:35am

Post #44 of 44 (717 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

"Some of his other character traits, though, are ignored or marginalized."

I can see where you´re coming from, when you say movie Frodo basically capture the broad arc of the character. But that is more true, I believe, when you look in general terms at just the plot.

Tolkien himself made a statement about Frodo which I´ve always found revealing. He wrote something like this: Frodo is the study of a hobbit broken down by fear and a long burden and turning into something else

I think the film captures the first part of Frodo´s character. The other half, what he actually turns into, is deliberately ignored.
Personally I split book Frodo´s character into four dimensions, one part is about courage, sacrifice and suffering, another about his friendship with and relation to Sam, another about compassion and understanding/learning to see and a fourth about growing and changing spiritually. The first two parts are clearly the most easily relatable, which is also why I believe they were the aspects of Frodo chosen by the film makers.

It might sound as if I just dislike Frodo´s character in the films, but I actually found several things I enjoyed. It´s really more that I find him much less interesting in the long run than his book counterpart.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.