Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Prologues and/or major flashbacks

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 9 2012, 10:21pm

Post #1 of 10 (705 views)
Shortcut
Prologues and/or major flashbacks Can't Post

Not sure if discussed in detail but here I go -

-Thror being killed by Azog sparking the Dwarf/Orc wars culminating in the Battle of Azanulbizar - Thorin and Thrain, Dain slaying Azog .... does this come in in AUJ or TBA??? I'm leaning towards TBA to introduce Dain and Bolg

-Smaug wasting Dale and Erebor Thorin and Balin's escape - AUJ for sure

-Something with Sauron aka the Necromancer re-entering Dol Guldur with the Nine maybe searching for the Ring at the Gladden fields. - maybe for DOS to heighten the Dol guldur subplot

Any other ideas or something you'd like to see as such and where you think they will occur in the films ... ???

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 9 2012, 11:21pm

Post #2 of 10 (248 views)
Shortcut
I like those ideas. [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect we might see any of those. These kinds of events just give so much more importance to the events as they're happening.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2012, 11:30pm

Post #3 of 10 (226 views)
Shortcut
you had ne till... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron and the ring, at that point I shut it down... I see no need to bring Sauron looking for the ring in any way shape or form into these films. It takes what should merely be a burglers tool and takes it out of context that even a kindergartener could figure out... Way off base for the films IMO (yes MY opinion) and gives us information that we are told later in the LOTR trilogy that Peter Jackson himself has stated he wants to flow from start to finish when all the films are done. A good film maker wouldn't give away too many details of later timeline stuff even though its already been seen by a vast number of people.

That being said i like the other ideas you presented, I'm thinking there are gonna be a couple White Council flashbacks with gandalf investigating DolGuldur in A.U.J. myself Wink

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 9 2012, 11:51pm

Post #4 of 10 (195 views)
Shortcut
OK I can dig that [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read others here too with the opinion that they shouldn't muddy the waters too much with LOTR Ring business.
I'm down with that. It's going to depend on how PJ wants to play it out I guess. Direct references, subtle hints and foreshadowing, or totally ignoring the Ring backstory. I would guess subtle hints and nuances, but we won't know for sure til the movies are out on that one.

We know we'll see Gandy searching Dol Guldur ... it was in the trailer, but it could be shown as a flashback to be sure.

Any other ideas for prologues or flashbacks are welcome ...

Vote for Pedro!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 12:31am

Post #5 of 10 (185 views)
Shortcut
well if you look at the scenes we have seen [In reply to] Can't Post

of Gandalf in what is assumed to be DolGuldur. There are scenes with Glamdring, and others without the sword. I would say its a fair assumption, that some will be after Trollshaws and some will be flashback

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 10 2012, 12:54am

Post #6 of 10 (153 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Fair enough

Vote for Pedro!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 2:28am

Post #7 of 10 (139 views)
Shortcut
I think most of the dwarf-goblin war stuff will be shown in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

As AUJ will feature goblins as the main bad guys, and the flashbacks will strengthen both Thorin's and the goblin's motivation for revenge.

AUJ will be quite the reveng-y film, IMO. Perhaps Tarantino should have directed it? Smile

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 3:13am

Post #8 of 10 (113 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree with you, Sinister71 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sauron and the ring, at that point I shut it down... I see no need to bring Sauron looking for the ring in any way shape or form into these films. It takes what should merely be a burglers tool and takes it out of context that even a kindergartener could figure out... Way off base for the films IMO (yes MY opinion) and gives us information that we are told later in the LOTR trilogy that Peter Jackson himself has stated he wants to flow from start to finish when all the films are done. A good film maker wouldn't give away too many details of later timeline stuff even though its already been seen by a vast number of people.

That being said i like the other ideas you presented, I'm thinking there are gonna be a couple White Council flashbacks with gandalf investigating DolGuldur in A.U.J. myself Wink

I really hope there is no reference to the ring of Sauron in the movies. As I said in the thread about Shore's score, these films will be much better if created without the perspective of having hindsight to the story. They won't work properly as a chronological series if we are getting references to things that happen later, when we shouldn't know about them.

Although there technically will be dramatic irony because the audience has already seen LOTR and knows the story. But there's always going to be dramatic irony once you've seen a film the first time anyway. And that doesn't mean they need to add more dramatic irony into it by telling us "hey this ring Bilbo just found is the ring of Sauron". Like you said it messes with PJ's inent to flow from start to finish.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 3:16am

Post #9 of 10 (106 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

I think most of your ideas are solid. Although I don't know where they would be placed. And we could have something about Sauron searching the Gladden fields but leave it a mystery as to what he's searching for, or something like that.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 10 2012, 3:28am

Post #10 of 10 (171 views)
Shortcut
Thats what I mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe something like Gandalf finding out the Necromancer is in Dol Guldur now and he's looking for something but he doesn't know what, but Saruman seems to notice it as well and leave it at that. Subtle and not too over the top.

Vote for Pedro!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.