Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What sci-fi/fantasy shows will you be watching this fall?
Poll: What sci-fi/fantasy shows will you be watching this fall?
Arrow 7 / 9%
Supernatural 2 / 2%
The Vampire Diaries 0 / 0%
Beauty and the Beast 0 / 0%
Grimm 7 / 9%
Fringe 6 / 8%
Doctor Who 12 / 15%
Warehouse 13 5 / 6%
666 Park Avenue 2 / 2%
Once Upon a Time 9 / 11%
Revolution 10 / 12%
Touch  5 / 6%
Alphas 6 / 8%
Lost Girl 1 / 1%
other (what?) 8 / 10%
80 total votes

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 6 2012, 3:26pm

Post #1 of 25 (576 views)
Shortcut
What sci-fi/fantasy shows will you be watching this fall? Can't Post

I'm mourning the end of Eureka and hoping Warehouse 13 gets renewed for another season, but you never know with Syfy.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 3:47pm

Post #2 of 25 (215 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

And to be honest, I've only heard of one other on that list! Blush

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 6 2012, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 25 (210 views)
Shortcut
I seem to have lost the attention span for week-to-week TV [In reply to] Can't Post

I forget when things are on or get busy and miss them. I prefer to just watch them all in one lump on DVD instead of paying for a DVR with my cable. So I'm always a season or so behind shows.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2012, 4:43pm

Post #4 of 25 (212 views)
Shortcut
Yup, Dr Who here, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it's getting dicey for me; the emotional investment just isn't there these days (as I think you and I have mentioned before, Daniel, come to think of it!) I've heard of some of the others... eh... I got done with dystopia, apocalypticism and post-apocalypticism once they were no longer required reading in school, feel no need to subject myself to more of such. Now, start a new Star Trek based on a positive vision of the future, and I am totally there!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 5:30pm

Post #5 of 25 (230 views)
Shortcut
I have high hopes for the new companion (possible spoilers inside) [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Rory and Amy leave at the end of this set of episodes, I hope Moffat will go for a different angle (that's assuming the new companion isn't related to Amy/Rory or River) Wink.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 6 2012, 5:48pm

Post #6 of 25 (197 views)
Shortcut
Once Upon a Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Really enjoyed the last season. Hoping the new season is even better!

imin
Valinor

Sep 6 2012, 5:50pm

Post #7 of 25 (200 views)
Shortcut
Fringe and Touch [In reply to] Can't Post

Though not being in US makes it a little harder as i have to either wait ages until they come out on dvd or just watch online as they come out week to week so i pick online :)

Fringe is going into its final season which is sad as it has been entertaining and i will miss it.

Touch i started watching purely because it had Jack Bauer, i mean Kiefer Sutherland in it. The show itself is ok but other than Dr Who i dont even really know many of the other shows Crazy

I have tried to like Dr Who - my grandparents like it. But for me it just doesnt seem real, or scary or have high production values - im guessing its meant to be like that - bit cheesy and lame but i dont get it really *shrugs*

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 5:57pm

Post #8 of 25 (194 views)
Shortcut
You either love it, or you don't [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have tried to like Dr Who - my grandparents like it. But for me it just doesnt seem real, or scary or have high production values - im guessing its meant to be like that - bit cheesy and lame but i dont get it really *shrugs*

That's the thing with Doctor Who - it's supposed to be a little bit cheesy, though it normally works in it's favour. The classic episodes are just superb. Since it's return in 2005, it's been hit and miss. Some episodes are god damn awful, while other's are fantastic.

Can you remember which one's you've seen imin? I always have a list of episodes that someone should watch if they want to get into Doctor Who. Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 6 2012, 5:59pm

Post #9 of 25 (191 views)
Shortcut
The Walking Dead. // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Sep 6 2012, 6:05pm

Post #10 of 25 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i think that might be it [In reply to] Can't Post

I can remember watching it all the time when young, but it really did terrify me. I literally was hiding behind a chair!

I catch the odd episode now and again but cant remember the names of the specific episodes. One that i thought was pretty good, was where these aliens or something move at you apart from when you are looking at them? Is that right.

Like you say some are good - i was being a little harsh, some are not so good and put me off.

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 6 2012, 6:28pm

Post #11 of 25 (199 views)
Shortcut
TV Show [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not an High Fantasy show, rather a medieval one but I will follow 'World Without End' a mini serie based on Ken Follett's novel (which I've not read) that take place in a medieval England. The trailers seemed quite nice.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 6 2012, 6:29pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 6 2012, 6:45pm

Post #12 of 25 (186 views)
Shortcut
I love my DVR [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't have cable for years so watched the shows people recommended on DVD a year behind. In my current rental cable and the DVR were included in the rent! Having a DVR is great, because I can watch when I want and skip all the commercials. But I miss the special features of the DVDs.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 6 2012, 6:45pm

Post #13 of 25 (175 views)
Shortcut
Neither: [In reply to] Can't Post

Not watching any scifi or fantasy series this autumn. Ill be following season 3 of HBO's Boardwalk Empire, though.

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 6 2012, 6:46pm

Post #14 of 25 (170 views)
Shortcut
just realized I left the HBO shows off [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be keeping up with True Blood, myself.

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 6 2012, 6:59pm

Post #15 of 25 (196 views)
Shortcut
Boardwalk [In reply to] Can't Post

@macfalk I've seen the season one of Boardwalk Empire and I deem it a very good show so far (with a great budget too.) But since I do not have HBO I have to catch up with the DVD's or watching on a French channel. That's almost a year and a half late though. I hope to see the second season one day..

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 6 2012, 7:00pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 6 2012, 9:15pm

Post #16 of 25 (180 views)
Shortcut
+1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Walking Dead for me too!!!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 11:34pm

Post #17 of 25 (155 views)
Shortcut
Touch [In reply to] Can't Post

Dang I love that show.

I don't have cable. So that means DVDs in the spring and summer for Doctor Who and Warehouse 13.

Of the broadcast shows I'm aware of, I don't watch Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, or Fringe.

I just can't keep up with the broadcast schedule of Once Upon a Time and Grimm but they are in my DVD queue for 'someday'.

I'm quite interested in Arrow and mildly interested in Revolution. These kind of post-apocalyptic shows always go for the Lord of the Flies approach, which doesn't appeal to me.

I'm not aware of Beauty and the Beast, Alphas, or Lost Girl (are they cable?) and I have almost no interest in 666 Park Avenue.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 7 2012, 12:00am

Post #18 of 25 (153 views)
Shortcut
Add me now that they've gotten off the farm [In reply to] Can't Post

things should get more interesting. I just hope it doesn't all end up mirroring Falling Skies.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 7 2012, 12:01am

Post #19 of 25 (151 views)
Shortcut
Falling Skies [In reply to] Can't Post

They keep killing off people who have interesting stories before they can tell them. But I will give them a few more views... at least if they show up On Demand so I can watch on my schedule not theirs.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 7 2012, 12:03am

Post #20 of 25 (141 views)
Shortcut
The Mad Hatter tale was among my favs.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 7 2012, 12:32am

Post #21 of 25 (191 views)
Shortcut
The Red Riding Hood episode was mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the finale was pretty satisfying as well. Can't wait for more! Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 8:11pm

Post #22 of 25 (143 views)
Shortcut
Watched one episode of it and had nightmares... [In reply to] Can't Post

Last time anything like that happened way back in the 90s when the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park scared the life out of me. Had dreams of sentinent human eating predators hunting people for evulz for years.

This time I got the memo and didn't even try to watch the Walking Dead any further. Laugh

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 3:24am

Post #23 of 25 (129 views)
Shortcut
Voted "other" but meant "Revolution" [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see it on the list at first.Blush

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 10 2012, 3:37am

Post #24 of 25 (142 views)
Shortcut
Am intrigued by the commericials [In reply to] Can't Post

Have only caught the commercials and not done any background checking ....is it related in any way to Stirling's Dies the Fire.... one of his The Change series?

Also reminded of One Second After by William R. Forstchen.Electricity is basically wiped out by an EMP bomb.

Mutants caused by radiation were a major theme of the '50s it seems that dystopia is a theme of the 2010's .... though maybe that's simply my filter and I'm ignoring other themes.

Radhruin
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 4:14am

Post #25 of 25 (356 views)
Shortcut
I thought of One Second After also [In reply to] Can't Post

Guessing it will go the way of Jericho, which I enjoyed. TV series are iffy for me: if I enjoy them and am at home to watch them, they end quickly. If they are popular I often miss them and cant abide watching them back to back, as they get boring. Guess I'm a strange beast. If I had more self control, or concentration I could ration my watching them to an episode at a time with several days in between. But that takes scheduling. Already have too much of that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.