Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So here we are, two years on

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 3 2012, 7:56am

Post #1 of 20 (351 views)
Shortcut
So here we are, two years on Can't Post

Tomorrow morning at 4.35am it will be two years since the 7.1 earthquake which started a chain of events that changed Christchurch forever. 11,000 shakes later, our city as we knew it has gone, and there is still so much to be done. Many people are exhausted and sad, and the task ahead sometimes feels impossible.
But it is spring, full of promise, and this makes me feel hopeful for our future.

On Sunday I took Midgey to Hagley Park and told him he had the important job of posing in the daffodils with a look of Cantabrian determination, resilience and hope. He grizzled and whined and got tangled in his lead. I told him I would post the photo anyway. Tongue

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2012, 10:26am

Post #2 of 20 (159 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

he does look determined! Also, very handsome among the daffs !

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 3 2012, 10:31am

Post #3 of 20 (182 views)
Shortcut
Aw, what a cutie!// [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2012, 1:39pm

Post #4 of 20 (157 views)
Shortcut
"But I'd rather smell the flowers, mummy!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Brave Midgey, it's hard enough for people to understand and get through the tragic times, for the animals in our care it must be harder!

Yes, Spring brings the promise of newness sprouting from the bleak earth! *hugs!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 3 2012, 2:32pm

Post #5 of 20 (142 views)
Shortcut
Daffodils! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, nothing like spring and stubborn (but oh-so-cute) puppies to symbolize renewal. Hang in there, Starling---there are many of us on the other side of the world sending you hugs and encouragement!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 3 2012, 3:54pm

Post #6 of 20 (151 views)
Shortcut
Great photo! [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole thing sounds utterly exhausting and demoralizing, but you seem to be trudging on, like Frodo. Or maybe more like Sam, with "determination, resilience and hope".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Patty
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 8:25pm

Post #7 of 20 (157 views)
Shortcut
Starling... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish I could hug you long distance. 11,000 shakes? I just don't know how you all have borne it.

All my best to you.

Permanent address: Into the West

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 6:46am

Post #8 of 20 (119 views)
Shortcut
We bear it [In reply to] Can't Post

because we have to. I saw a woman on the TV news tonight talking about her struggles over the last two years. She said that her generation didn't go through the war, but this feels like our war, and our test. There are lots of things that were set in motion (no pun intended) by that first earthquake, and some of those things are wonderful, and we may never have experienced them if all this hadn't happened.

And thanks for the virtual hug. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 6:49am

Post #9 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
One foot in front of the other [In reply to] Can't Post

is my philosophy, and it seems to get me there (wherever 'there' may be).
We all need to be a bit like Samwise here. Heart

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 6:52am

Post #10 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the encouragement [In reply to] Can't Post

Spring is wonderful, isn't it? The daffodils and blossoms are really getting going now. It's pretty hard to be glum when you see so much new life around you.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 6:55am

Post #11 of 20 (124 views)
Shortcut
Midgey has actually changed his mind about earthquakes [In reply to] Can't Post

Where previously he believed that earthquakes came from the rangehood, he has now firmly established that all earthquakes in fact emanate from the fridge. Bad, bad fridge!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 6:56am

Post #12 of 20 (101 views)
Shortcut
And he knows it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 6:58am

Post #13 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

He will be very pleased to hear that he has been described as handsome. Laugh

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 4 2012, 7:27am

Post #14 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
Incredible courage and persistence. [In reply to] Can't Post

The horrible Japanese tidal wave and nuclear disaster pushed NZ out of the headlines for much of the world in 2011, but as Japan struggles to recover, NZ continues shaking. I salute the courage with which you persevere and the confidence and creativity with which your city is coping with its new reality.

My husband and I will spend most of January 2013 in NZ, and I look forward to seeing Chch, and possibly meeting you.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 7:53am

Post #15 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
For our anniversary, nature gave us [In reply to] Can't Post

this. Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2012, 7:57am

Post #16 of 20 (116 views)
Shortcut
It would be a pleasure to meet you [In reply to] Can't Post

You are an honorary Christchurch person as far as I'm concerned.
Whenever I go past the old State Trinity building, I think of you. I am keeping an eye on it for you. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 12:55am

Post #17 of 20 (84 views)
Shortcut
You're still standing :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Exhausted and sad... of course. I'm so impressed and inspired by all of you as you continue to rebuild your city, your homes and your lives. I'm still so sad that you all have had to go through all of this... but Midgey gives it the shot of fun and normalcy. *big hug* to you and Christchurch, Starling. Thank you for helping us stand there with you :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 4:32am

Post #18 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
You and Midgey keep on taking care of each other! [In reply to] Can't Post

What would we do without our precious pups to see us through the hard times and to share the good times?

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 8:39am

Post #19 of 20 (96 views)
Shortcut
I will let you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when our plans solidify. At the moment, it appears we may be in Chch ~mid-Jan.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 7 2012, 3:21am

Post #20 of 20 (98 views)
Shortcut
He's beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

A little bloom among the flowers. Smile

And this seems to fit, with all you're going through there: "From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring . . ."

Lots of shadows and ashes, but there's light everywhere: all of the indomitable people slogging through one step at a time, not giving up, and remaining a city (after all, it's the people, not the buildings that makes it what it is.)

I sure hope the aftershocks are at least somewhat less these days.Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.