Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A blast from the past: TheOneRing.net Weekly Site Report May 14th, 1999

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 10:39pm

Post #1 of 5 (297 views)
Shortcut
A blast from the past: TheOneRing.net Weekly Site Report May 14th, 1999 Can't Post

I'm working in the old News Archives and was reminded of this information I'd previously noted on the Mathom-house history wiki:

May 14th, 1999 by xoanon

Hey folks! What a great week to be a Lord of the Rings fan! The launch of TheOneRing.net went off with a bang and we now have the most complete resource for The Lord of the Rings Movie news and rumors.

I recently added a few features which Iím sure a lot of you have seen. First off, we have a new message board area where you can feel free to sound off on anything Lord of the Rings related. I would like to reset the board every week or so, just to keep the issues up to date. Send me some feedback on whether you think this is a good idea or not.

http://www.theonering.net/...eekly-site-report-3/

I'm not sure I know what 'reset every week or so' meant. Does anyone know?

I'm not fishing for info for the history project. (although, if provided some... I wouldn't toss it aside) I just thought it was interesting given the someone frequent questions we get about board set up. And somehow, the older I get, the more history fascinates me.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2012, 2:06am

Post #2 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
That's slightly before my time... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I only started lurking later that year. Patty or Inferno might remember more, being two of our earliest members. It may be that they originally planned to wipe the boards every week to keep only the most recent conversations. However, by the time I came along in the late summer of '99, things worked kind of like this:

There were no Admins/Moderators and the PTB didn't monitor the boards regularly. The regulars kept order among themselves as well as they could with the built-in moderation vote feature. Every so often (I don't remember any schedule to it) one of the PTB would come by do some "housecleaning", deleting anything that seemed problematic or irrelevant. But they didn't have a lot of time to spend on it so often whole threads would go if they contained something they wanted gone. If we had a troll problem and someone emailed for help, it might take a day or two and then you'd come on and find things looking a wee bit empty, and you knew that your email was received. Wink

This state of affairs held true until somewhere around the release of FOTR, when there was a massive troll attack and the PTB were busy with keeping up with the rest of the site. When things got really messy, a core group of long-time board members asked for a change and the PTB appointed a few as board Admins. They were able to keep better track of the boards and delete messages more quickly (and only when needed), and the PTB were freed up to turn their attention to other areas of the site. The change worked out quite well for everyone except the trolls. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 5:13am

Post #3 of 5 (111 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

A month after that article, another was posted that said "Thanks to everyone for participating in the survey.!!! Our first change as a result might be coming very soon, but we need you to test it out. Check out the possible new message board!"

And then a few days later, one that said, "The new board is now the only board. So start playing..:)"

A month after that, another post said, "We had a few changes over the weekend. The most exciting of which are the new forums! Go to the Discussion section to see the new boards. (One is even a game!)"

So it could be this forum that got wiped every week didn't last long.

That last quote I provided was from July 18, 1999... so that all predated your arrival.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2012, 7:23am

Post #4 of 5 (96 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it sounds like they must have tried a couple of formats before they launched the boards as I knew them. I'm assuming they were the "new forums" mentioned in your last quote. I started reading the front page regularly about that time but didn't discover the forums until later. I suppose you could send an email to Corvar or Calisuri and ask for more information. They may be the only ones who know.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 5 (163 views)
Shortcut
I mostly posted it here because of recent conversations about board functions. [In reply to] Can't Post

People are always curious why threads don't bump and sometimes don't buy into the 'keeping things fresh' concept.

Allowing one week for conversation (and if the boards get wiped every week, some posts would get wiped after only a day or even hours) is such a contrast to what we have now but the basic concept has remained. I just though it was interesting to see this first report which ties into current discussion on the topic.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.