Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A board feature/thread I would find helpful
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 6 2012, 4:17pm

Post #51 of 73 (752 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Rumour Mill Weekly? // [In reply to] Can't Post

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2012, 4:21pm

Post #52 of 73 (725 views)
Shortcut
What Magpie said :) [nt] [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2012, 4:34pm

Post #53 of 73 (744 views)
Shortcut
How about: "Hobbit Movie News Weekly Roundup" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's rather pedestrian, but to the point.

Love this idea!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2012, 4:56pm

Post #54 of 73 (738 views)
Shortcut
What entmaiden said about what Magpie said [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are concerned about the work of labeling spoilers, categorize with a "Spoilerific News Links" heading and a "General News" heading within the post. It would get busy to the eye with all those links labeled with "spoiler" or not. And harder to peruse a list of links. If I don't want to be spoiled (and I don't), I don't want to read through the entire post just for what I want. I'd rather know I can look at just the non-spoiler section. I wish the forums were set up this way.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 4:59pm

Post #55 of 73 (724 views)
Shortcut
I like it! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I came up with:

Want Hobbit News? Weekly Movie Recap Thread

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2012, 5:08pm

Post #56 of 73 (722 views)
Shortcut
Rumors [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it just about rumors?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 5:09pm

Post #57 of 73 (738 views)
Shortcut
Would an objective classification help, do you think JWPlatt? [In reply to] Can't Post

If links were labeled with:

S! - Spoiler! (you will be spoiled by opening the link)
LS - Limited Spoilers (tidbits and snippets, no hard spoilers)
NS - No Spoilers (no spoilers contained whatsoever)

Would that be easy on the eye?

Though, the problem is, any categorisation or label (like above) only applies to the actual linked post (the first of the thread). Spoilers may well be contained in replies later in the thread.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 5:14pm

Post #58 of 73 (731 views)
Shortcut
And I've searched the forum [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I came up with:

Want Hobbit News? Weekly Movie Recap Thread

There's no match for Want Hobbit News? Laugh

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2012, 5:17pm

Post #59 of 73 (747 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how long the aggregating posts to this proposed thread would be. If they're short, it doesn't really matter. If they are longish, I'd rather see it this way rather than coded because I don't want to scan the entire post for spoiler versus non-spoiler:

News:
short desc
link

Spoilerific News:
short desc
link

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 6 2012, 5:18pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2012, 5:59pm

Post #60 of 73 (731 views)
Shortcut
"Can't Stop It: Weekly Hobbit Tidbit Habit" // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 10:50pm

Post #61 of 73 (730 views)
Shortcut
lol... if we opened the subject line up for a contest, we'd get dozens of great suggestions, I'm sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought I'd weigh in that I liked the use of 'weekly' at the end like AE used it because it invoked the idea of a newspaper like "Salt Lake City Weekly".

But I agree with the comment that it's not rumors so rumor mill wasn't apt.

and now I'll let the humorists and clever wits among us resume their suggestions. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 1:13am

Post #62 of 73 (727 views)
Shortcut
This is so much fun! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some great title ideas... And some very good points are made about how it should be used.

I like the hominess of that, but the collection of posts may not always occur every week... so that could be misleading. And Magpie, you're right that the collection will be the spoilers, not DanielLB's post of the links.

If it's going to be included in the Weekly Roundup (all one word ;), then you could tag-along on that idea.

The Hobbit Discussion Board Roundup of Spoilers Links -- since these posts are going to exclusively address The Hobbit Discussion Board.

Board of The Hobbit? -- I couldn't resist the play on word like Bored of the Rings ;)

The Hobbit Board Spoiler Update: It's Safe To Look! -- Just the bones of an idea that says the post is about Spoiler and The Hobbit and The Discussion Board. P'raps it's teaser enough to intrigue some people.

Just a few ideas :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 2:33am

Post #63 of 73 (712 views)
Shortcut
but see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think to put spoiler in the subject of these threads is to imply that the content of these threads contain spoilers. These threads should not contain spoilers. The content at the end of the links might contain what some people consider to be spoilers.

If we put the word spoilers in the title of these threads, I think some people won't open them up mistakenly thinking they are going to see spoilers when they do.

And I seriously don't believe all news is a spoiler. If someone wants to remain spoiler free, they still want to know what day the movies are being released, right? That bit of info is not a spoiler. Or the day the soundtrack CD is released. I think we just need to keep the actual news out of this thread (leaving only a clue and a link...) to respect that everyone has their own line of they are willing to cross. We will err on the side of caution for all.

For me, it gives the wrong impression to name the thread with the word 'spoiler'.

Now, I think, internally, there can be a caution that some people might consider some links to contain what they consider spoilers. And I liked Daniel's idea of kind of ranking links about how spoilerish the content at the end of the link might contain. But I just don't see this as a spoiler thread series.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 2:49am

Post #64 of 73 (700 views)
Shortcut
I asked tptb what they thought about the idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and Calisuri thinks it's a great one :D So tally-ho! *toots-horn*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 2:51am

Post #65 of 73 (720 views)
Shortcut
True :) [In reply to] Can't Post

and ranking them is a great way to go!

sample

Unused Scenes

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 5:42am

Post #66 of 73 (722 views)
Shortcut
A few more options [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Headlines for the week of ....

Weekly Hobbit Happenings

Hot Hobbit News

Or, to go along with the News from Bree theme, it could be the Bywater Post. Or the Hobbiton Herald.

Or....

Second Breakfast: Rehashing this week's Hobbit news

WinkLaugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

sador
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 6:07am

Post #67 of 73 (698 views)
Shortcut
I like "washing up after First Breakfast" better. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The portcullis can be dropped right to the river-bed, but, that it's often left open. Why? If this is a fortress and Mirkwood has some very unsavory inhabitants, isn't this rather foolhardy of the elves? Or is it just arrogance?"
- Kelvarhin

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for Barrels Out of Bond!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 6:24am

Post #68 of 73 (727 views)
Shortcut
Who on earth [In reply to] Can't Post

prefers the washing up to the eating? Crazy

Tongue

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 7:28am

Post #69 of 73 (701 views)
Shortcut
Silverlode, I might just have to steal these ideas! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 7:31am

Post #70 of 73 (707 views)
Shortcut
I will rank them this week [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to see what people think, and to make sure everyone is happy (and that I didn't ruin anyone's day by spoilering them Wink).

Yay! Glad the PTB approve Laugh. Though, I've got a busy day ahead of me! Why did RL decide to become busy today?!

sador
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 9:35am

Post #71 of 73 (731 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo never got around to eating, did he? [In reply to] Can't Post

But on the other hand, Frodo did leave the washing to Lobelia. Hmm.

I must admit, however, that it was the rhyme of re-hashing with washing which gave me the idea.
That and the need to test my new footer, before it became outdated... Blush

"The portcullis can be dropped right to the river-bed, but, that it's often left open. Why? If this is a fortress and Mirkwood has some very unsavory inhabitants, isn't this rather foolhardy of the elves? Or is it just arrogance?"
- Kelvarhin

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for Barrels Out of Bond!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 7:11pm

Post #72 of 73 (769 views)
Shortcut
Thief! Baggins! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

They're all up for grabs, take your pick! Cool

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 4:10pm

Post #73 of 73 (736 views)
Shortcut
A question for admins [In reply to] Can't Post

If I post around 5pm BST on Friday's, is that ok for admins to lock the thread? I can give you heads up if it's going to be late as well. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.