Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Old sword, sandal and fantasy movies of your childhood

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 7:02pm

Post #1 of 22 (645 views)
Shortcut
Old sword, sandal and fantasy movies of your childhood Can't Post

Long before reading Tolkien and seeing the PJ films I can recall several old movies from my childhood that made an impression on me for certain scenes.

Apart from the giant classics..Ben Hur, Cleopatra etc.
movies that were played on late night local channels or mornings (pre cable / satellite days) were usually
flicks from the 1950s-60s...many "B" movies that Mystery Science Fiction Theater would parody:

One...The Magic Sword
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Sword_(film)

"Sir George (Gary Lockwood) is the foster son of Sybil (Estelle Winwood), an elderly sorceress. Not much is said about his background other than that his "royal parents died of the plague" in his infancy. He is secretly in love with Princess Helene (Anne Helm), who is kidnapped early in the film by the evil wizard Lodac (Basil Rathbone). Lodac intends to feed her to his pet dragon in seven days. George wants to go on a quest to liberate his lady love, but Sybil believes he is too young and tries to comfort the youth by showing him a magic sword, a steed, a suit of armour, and six magically frozen knights he will command when he turns 21. The impatient George, however, tricks Sybil and locks her in a cellar, then leaves with his magical implements and revived company of knights. Sir George and his party appear before the king and insist on journeying to Lodac's castle to rescue Helene, even though this angers Sir Branton (Liam Sullivan), a knight who had previously been given the task and who also desires the princess. The knights must brave a series of monsters and other dangers to complete the task."

I remember the frozen knights from different countries that were company of Sir George and the "fearsome" creatures and the dragon they had to fight. Of course, by todays standards the effects were primitive, but as a kid they made an impression.

Kirk Douglas flicks like Ulysses and The Vikings were thrilling movies...fighting the skeletons, tbe Moors making the prisoners slide down a giant blade to be sliced in two etc.

What movies like these made early impressions?

http://www.flickchart.com/charts?genre=Sword-and-Sandal&decade=1950

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 31 2012, 7:05pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 8:28pm

Post #2 of 22 (437 views)
Shortcut
Jason and the Argonauts [In reply to] Can't Post

Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion sword-fight with the skeletons. Classic stuff!

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 8:32pm

Post #3 of 22 (438 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, yes, that is the film with the skeletons...great movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 9:20pm

Post #4 of 22 (429 views)
Shortcut
PJ's a big fan of that sequence too [In reply to] Can't Post

He shot his own version of it when he was a kid. I used to have an obsession with skeleton soldiers as a kid as well, I used to collect the undead Warhammer line and when RotK came out I was disappointed at the army of the dead's design. I'm surprised PJ didn't go the Harryhausen route, considering that was what he set out to create in the first place. Unsure Very few movies have actually done skeletons well. I love the army in Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 31 2012, 9:23pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 10:04pm

Post #5 of 22 (447 views)
Shortcut
The Sword and the Sorcerer [In reply to] Can't Post

and Dragon Slayer of course, and Willow.

I loved the Sword and the Sorcerer but was chagrined that further adventures touted at the end of the film never came to pass.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 22 (422 views)
Shortcut
That's the one I remember too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought it was just me, but wow, judging from all the responses here, that skeleton army scared the h*ck out of a whole generation of us, lol!

Talos (the bronze giant) was pretty impressive too!

I never saw that movie in the theater, but they used to show it on TV a lot.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 10:45pm

Post #7 of 22 (437 views)
Shortcut
A rock version.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRrZXNNBMUY

The original...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

The Magic Sword...

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 31 2012, 10:53pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2012, 10:56pm

Post #8 of 22 (418 views)
Shortcut
The whole movie.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drJTND_8YII

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 31 2012, 11:38pm

Post #9 of 22 (410 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not as "old" as you're thinking

Jason and the Argonauts, and Sinbad
Willow
The Last Unicorn
Krull
Dragonslayer
Clash of the Titans
Dark Crystal
Dungeons and Dragons the animated series ...
Conan the Barbarian
Ladyhawke

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Aug 31 2012, 11:44pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 31 2012, 11:55pm

Post #10 of 22 (406 views)
Shortcut
you want old? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember my friends & I would never miss "The Sons of Hercules" while still in our preteen years.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 12:18am

Post #11 of 22 (393 views)
Shortcut
My sister and I used to sing along to the theme song of this Hercules show [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PrLVgR6J84

which was from 1963.

I don't think I watched much fantasy before Tolkien. I read Tolkien abt. 1967 and the movies predating 1967 that can be classified as fantasy don't quite contain the things that attract me to fantasy.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 1 2012, 12:37am

Post #12 of 22 (407 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I'll see you one Hercules and [In reply to] Can't Post

raise you a Captain Kangaroo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3w7w58CREY

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 1 2012, 1:07am

Post #13 of 22 (389 views)
Shortcut
I'll toss in [In reply to] Can't Post

a Sherif'f John.... I still remember the day he read my name as a member of his Lunch Brigade....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teH91xjNZ2o

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2012, 1:19am

Post #14 of 22 (384 views)
Shortcut
Dragon Slayer and Willow... [In reply to] Can't Post

have been two of my favourites for years. Excalibur was so-so imho....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2012, 1:20am

Post #15 of 22 (394 views)
Shortcut
Krull, Conan and Clash Of the Titans [In reply to] Can't Post

were movies I watched alot of....

Two more I watched a ton of -

Beastmaster
Red Sonja

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 1 2012, 6:41pm

Post #16 of 22 (395 views)
Shortcut
Sam Raimi filmed an homage to the skeleton fight in 'Army of Darkness' // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 2 2012, 4:31am

Post #17 of 22 (359 views)
Shortcut
Captain Sinbad [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was a kid there was a deal where you could get a packet of tickets to see movies over the summer, usually older movies shown in the middle of the week. This was one of them. It scared me and fascinated me and titillated me too.

Forty-five years later I finally found a ratty old VHS copy. It's sooo cheesy. But I still love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2012, 2:03pm

Post #18 of 22 (334 views)
Shortcut
Agree, the various Sinbad movies employed quite a bit of [In reply to] Can't Post

Harryhausen effects. I thought Patrick Wayne looked the part of Sinbad and The Eye of the Tiger...1977. Earlier versions were fun too...The Golden Voyage of Sinbad 1973 starring John Phillip Law.....The 7th Voyage of Sinbad 1958 (Kerwin Mathews). All fun Saturday afternoon movies or late night viewing.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 2 2012, 2:19pm

Post #19 of 22 (329 views)
Shortcut
oh gosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the New York area, we had a regional TV kids show called Wonderama. I kept pestering my parents for tickets so I could be in the studio audience. Alas, I never got them, lol. Good for you for getting your name in to Sherif'f John, it must have been such a thrill :)!

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 2 2012, 4:06pm

Post #20 of 22 (347 views)
Shortcut
I liked Excalibur much better [In reply to] Can't Post

after I spent a term studying the Arthurian legends. Boorman took the story back to its roots and included a lot of symbolism from the older versions (the Three Queens on the boat that bears Arthur to Avalon, for instance).

You know he wanted to film LOTR and couldn't get the rights, so he did "Excalibur" instead as a way of saying "see, I could too have made a live-action film of the story"?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 2 2012, 11:47pm

Post #21 of 22 (366 views)
Shortcut
Lots of good old S&S Flicks [In reply to] Can't Post

Conan - (script was wriiten by Oliver Stone BTW) loved it
Excalibur - great actors and the score with Wagner and Orff really pumps you up
Sinbad movies, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans - all great Harryhausen films
Hawk the Slayer, Sword and the Sorcerer, Beastmaster - liked those too similar ilk
Krull, the Dark Crystal, The Black Cauldron
Willow, Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, the Princess Bride were all good too

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

(This post was edited by Yngwulff on Sep 2 2012, 11:49pm)

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Sep 4 2012, 9:42am

Post #22 of 22 (383 views)
Shortcut
I grew up with more Science Fiction than sword and sandals [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a steady diet of sci-fi with heavy emphasis on Star Wars and Star Trek, Superman, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, etc. pretty typical for a Gen-X nerd.

But along with those, I also grew up with "The Neverending Story" "Willow" and "Krull". "Willow" was pretty much the definitive fantasy movie for me for a long time. I also grew up watching the animated "Flight of Dragons" and "The Last Unicorn" which both stand the test of time remarkably well for me.

My Sword and Sandals experience was pretty much limited to "Clash of the Titans". I remember that the scene where the guy fights the Medusa made a real impression on me. I also watched "Ben Hur" at least once when I was a teenager.

"...and the power of Mordor was scattering like dust in the wind."

(This post was edited by guitarzankansasfan on Sep 4 2012, 9:44am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.