Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2012, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 10 (179 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings fellow travelers, to another week of walking, running, skipping, biking, gardening - whatever form of physical activity inspires us to move our way through Middle Earth!

I'm in a rush this morning (well, it's morning where I am!) getting Beamer and my Hobbit to school, so I'll post our mileages for the There and Back Again Challenge later. In the meantime, how have you been this past week? Whither have you trod/pedaled/weeded/swum/etc? And how was the view?

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 4:31pm

Post #2 of 10 (67 views)
Shortcut
I've been stamping & boxing & lifting & slashing & pushing! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're doing a HUGE weeding project of around 6,000 old VHS tapes from the Library's collection... so I've been helping to process those ;) I get so busy, I've been skipping breaks and lunch just cuz it's so much fun purging some very nasty stuff. Also did a mess of work around the house on those cooler days.

School has started here on the campus where I work, too. PEOPLE EVERYWHERE... and the computers all slow down with the influx of internet use. *sigh* It's no longer safe to cross the street or leave the parking lot ;)

Bilbo, Gandalf, Beorn and I are still making our way from the Lonely Mountain across the northern borders of Mirkwood and then to Beorn's home to ride out the winter. We've got a LONG way to go, and it's getting pretty cold at night.

Cheers Arandiel and to one and all! Have a GREAT weekend!

Miles covered: 47
Cumulated miles: 1134
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)
Weeks to go: 16 until December 14, 2012

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 1 2012, 3:32am

Post #3 of 10 (55 views)
Shortcut
A good week. [In reply to] Can't Post

The weather cooperated and I spent some much needed time in the back yard. Just in time, as the rain is coming from the remnants of Isaac. Jogging around our new neighborhood was harder than I expected. There are more hills than it appears when driving through. Met some of our new neighbors between that and taking Little D door to door for his school fundraiser.

Yesterday we went to the last preseason Colts game, who were playing the Bengals (our team, sorry Patty!). It was a fantastic evening, as the roof was opened for the entire game. Have I mentioned that I like being outside? This was Little D's first NFL game and he loved it.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Three day weekend, woo-hoo!

Miles covered since last check-in: 30
Cumulative miles: 872.9
Goal: There and Back Again!

Cruising down the river in a barrel. The Lonely Mountain is almost within sight!

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2012, 2:27pm

Post #4 of 10 (44 views)
Shortcut
There and Back Again mileage [In reply to] Can't Post

Group Challenge Progress
Miles covered last week: 101.15
Cumulative miles: 8891.74
Miles along the journey: 592.78
Miles out of Rivendell: 195.78

We're still cruising with the eagles this week, but the Carrock is coming into view. Yay, us! Our mileage was down a bit this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some vacation miles from folks. It's a holiday weekend here in the States (Labor Day), the last summer hurrah before school starts for many parts of the country.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 5
Cumulative miles: 352
Goal: There and Back Again!

Whew, what a week! Here I was, thinking the start of my kids' school year would free up some of my time - silly me! Maybe this week'll be better... But it's not often I can say that some of Beamer and my miles this week were parade miles! Our city has an annual Corn Roast Festival, and we Girl Scouts marched in the parade. It was so hot Beamer got a ride with the folks from our church to get back to our car after the parade. We sure could use some of the rain other parts of the country are getting from the remnants of Hurricane Isaac... The US is either too hot or too wet, depending on the part of the country; there's no happy medium. sigh.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 4
Cumulative miles: 369
Goal: Group Challenge

Our other miles were from walking home from church; Beamer and I played hooky from Sunday School. It's three miles from our church to our house, so it's doable on a Sunday morning, not so much when I'm taking her and her brother to school (both their schools are close to the church we go to, as it happens). The only problem was, Beamer's sandals weren't quite right for the distance, so she ended up with a couple blisters on toes that were rubbed the wrong way. She's decided to pack along a better pair this Sunday, as she wants to walk home again this week.

Arandiel

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2012, 2:30pm

Post #5 of 10 (35 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the satisfaction of a job well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Commiserations, though, on the increased traffic, virtual and physical.

Have fun doing something completely different from work this weekend, gramma - you've earned it for sure!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2012, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 10 (32 views)
Shortcut
The Great Outdoors [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds wonderful to me - especially the rain! And it's good to hear life in the new place is going so well for you and yours.

Have fun!

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 1 2012, 11:57pm

Post #7 of 10 (56 views)
Shortcut
Between the midges and the [In reply to] Can't Post

twirking of the back (bent over and twisted just to put a wooden wedge under a table leg) and getting a stomach thingee for a couple of days (musta been something from the marsh i'll wager- one cannot swim the marshesTongue), i was able to get some stuff in of the usual variety but fell short of exiting these trying marshes. I have 38 miles for the week and 191 miles toward Rivendell. *SLAP* ...My kingdom for a some bug spray. ...Nutz, i do not have a kingdom.
Congratulations to gramma for some serious work (picking the dandelions out of the tapes:P ) and Delrond for hittting the hills.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 1:08pm

Post #8 of 10 (31 views)
Shortcut
Jogging will reveal hills! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good thing in terms of putting a bit more effort and better results for you jog ;) But OUCH at first!

I'm so glad you got outside AND took the young princeling to a game outside before Isaac comes to visit. We're expecting him on Monday ;) Beautiful red sky in the morning in the meanwhile.

Have a great weekend, Delrond!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 1:15pm

Post #9 of 10 (24 views)
Shortcut
Ouch, Beamer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Blisters are NOT FUN! I'm sorry, m'dear!

But I love it that you both got in a Parade! I just love local festivals and their parades. Nothing identifies a town more than that :D

YAY TEAM that we're air-travelling and on our way to new territory :D

THANKS ARANDIEL!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 1:18pm

Post #10 of 10 (83 views)
Shortcut
Bummer, sil! Sorry :( [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to all hit at once, doesn't it? Of course, I think I'd rather have only a few serious days down than getting hit one thing at a time that takes up more time. BUT it would be wonderful not to have those speedbumps at all!

I hope you're feeling better and are back on your high-mileage feet very soon :)

*hugs*

sample

Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.