Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2012, 9:52am

Post #1 of 15 (212 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

A Book Spoiler continuing a discussion between Saruman, Wormtongue and some hobbits in the middle of the road... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Return of the King

...”'So you have come to gloat too... ...my urchins?' he said. 'You don't care what a beggar lacks, do you! For you have all you want, food and fine clothes, and the best weed for your pipes. Oh yes... ...I know where it comes from. You would not give a pipeful to a beggar, would you!'
...'I would, if I had any,' said Frodo.
...'You can have what I have got left,' said Merry... ...he handed to Saruman a leather pouch. 'Take what there is... ...You are welcome to it; it came from the flotsam of Isengard.'
...'Mine, mine, yes and dearly bought!' cried Saruman, clutching at the pouch... '...a beggar must be grateful, if a thief returns him even a morsel of his own. Well, it will serve you right when you come home, if you find things less good in the Southfarthing than you would like. Long may your land be short of leaf!'
...'Thank you!' said Merry. 'In that case I will have my pouch back, which is not yours and has journeyed far with me. Wrap the weed in a rag of your own.'
...'One thief deserves another,' said Saruman, and turned his back on Merry... ...and went away towards the wood.
...'Well, I like that!' said Pippin. 'Thief indeed! What of our claim for waylaying, wounding, and orc-dragging us through Rohan?'
...'Ah!' said Sam. 'And "bought" he said. How, I wonder! And I didn't like the sound of what he said about the Southfarthing. It's time we got back.'
...'I'm sure it is,' said Frodo. 'But we can't go any quicker, if we are to see Bilbo. I am going to Rivendell first, whatever happens.'
...'Yes, I think you had better do that... ...But alas for Saruman! I fear nothing more can be made of him. He has withered altogether. All the same, I am not sure that Treebeard is right: I fancy he could do some mischief still in a small mean way.'"

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 9:56am

Post #2 of 15 (92 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 30, 2941 (S.R. 1341) (ish)
1. Gandalf rides to a meeting.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...It's been a full month since leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves at the edge of Mirkwood Forest, and Gandalf's thoughts never left them. For days while he was racing south he was anxious and felt the call to turn back, but his first pledge had been made long before finding Thorin at the Prancing Pony and arranging the Quest. Now he felt sure they weren't in any immediate danger, and so his attention was turned to the task at hand as he kept an ear open for news from the north.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 9:19am

Post #3 of 15 (77 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of the turning point for the Fellowship thrown onto one pair of shoulders... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Breaking of the Fellowship: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."There was a long silence in which no one spoke or moved.
... 'Well, Frodo,' said Aragorn at last. 'I fear that the burden is laid upon you. You are the Bearer appointed by the Council. Your own way you alone can choose. In this matter I cannot advise you. I am not Gandalf, and though I have tried to bear his part, I do not know what design or hope he had for this hour... ...Most likely it seems that if he were here now the choice would still wait on you. Such is your fate.'
... Frodo did not answer at once. Then he spoke slowly. 'I know that haste is needed, yet I cannot choose. The burden is heavy. Give me an hour longer, and I will speak. Let me be alone!'
... Aragorn looked at him with kindly pity. 'Very well, Frodo son of Drogo... ...You shall have an hour, and you shall be alone. We will stay here for a while. But do not stray far or out of call.'
... Frodo sat a moment with his head bowed. Sam, who had been watching his master with great concern, shook his head and muttered: 'Plain as a pikestaff it is, but it's no good Sam Gamgee putting in his spoke just now.'
... Presently Frodo got up and walked away; and Sam saw that while the others restrained themselves and did not stare at him, the eyes of Boromir followed Frodo intently, until he passed out of sight in the trees at the foot of Amon Hen.

... Wandering aimlessly at first in the wood... ...his feet were leading him up towards the slopes of the hill. He came to a path... ...In steep places stairs of stone had been hewn... ...For some while he climbed, not caring which way he went, until he came to a grassy place. Rowan-trees grew about it, and in the midst was a wide flat stone... ...Frodo halted and looked out over the River, far below him... ...The voice of Rauros was a mighty roaring mingled with a deep throbbing boom.
... He sat down upon the stone and cupped his chin in his hands, staring eastwards but seeing little with his eyes. All that had happened since Bilbo left the Shire was passing through his mind, and he recalled and pondered everything that he could remember of Gandalf's words. Time went on, and still he was no nearer to a choice."

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2012, 10:09am

Post #4 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
Notice how Aragorn uses Frodo's "formal" name [In reply to] Can't Post

This gives a clear emphasis about the importance of the decision Frodo must make - and indicates Aragorn's deference to him in this particular matter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 1:47pm

Post #5 of 15 (60 views)
Shortcut
When I first read that [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn's integrity and kingliness jumped a hunderd points for me.

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2012, 1:48pm

Post #6 of 15 (66 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler about the effect of the Ring when put on... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Choices of Master Samwise: The Two Towers

..."Only a few steps; and now only a few more and he would be going down and would never see that high place again. And then suddenly he heard cries and voices. He stood still as stone. Orc-voices. They were behind him and before him... ...He wheeled round. He saw small red lights, torches, winking away below there as they issued from the tunnel. At last the hunt was up. The red eye of the tower had not been blind. He was caught...
......In a minute they would reach the top and be on him. He had taken too long in making up his mind, and now it was no good. How could he escape, or save himself, or save the Ring? The Ring. He was not aware of any thought or decision. He simply found himself drawing out the chain and taking the Ring in his hand. The head of the orc-company appeared in the Cleft right before him. Then he put it on.
...The world changed, and a single moment of time was filled with an hour of thought. At once he was aware that hearing was sharpened while sight was dimmed... ...All things about him now were not dark but vague; while he himself was there in a grey hazy world, alone, like a small black solid rock, and the Ring, weighing down his left hand, was like an orb of hot gold. He did not feel invisible at all, but horribly and uniquely visible; and he knew that somewhere an eye was searching for him.
...He heard the crack of stone, and the murmur of water far off in Morgul Vale; and down away under the rock the bubbling misery of Shelob... ...and voices in the dungeons of the tower; and the cries of the Orcs... ...deafening, roaring in his ears, the crash of the feet and the rending clamour of the Orcs before him. He shrank against the cliff. But they marched up like a phantom company, grey distorted figures in a mist, only dreams of fear with pale flames in their hands. And they passed him by. He cowered, trying to creep away into some cranny and to hide.
...He listened. The Orcs from the tunnel and the others marching down had sighted one another, and both parties were now hurrying and shouting. He heard them both clearly, and he understood what they said. Perhaps the Ring gave understanding of tongues, or simply understanding, especially of the servants of Sauron its maker, so that if he gave heed, he understood and translated the thought to himself."

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2012, 2:58am

Post #7 of 15 (71 views)
Shortcut
This, I think, is my favorite description of what it's like to wear the Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

An orb of "hot gold"..."horribly and uniquely visible"...such a heightened sense of sound.

Fascinating, and frightening! But Sam wore the Ring not out of desire to conquer, but out of his need to hide. And somehow, it's hiding him well.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 12:09pm

Post #8 of 15 (69 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 1, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo finally finds one he sought.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...after a week or two of this sneaking sort of life, by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well."

September 1, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company makes its way north.
(not from the appendices)
..."They went on into northern Dunland, where no man now dwelt, though it was a green and pleasant country. September came in with golden days and silver nights, and they rode at ease u0ntil they reached the Swanfleet river, and found the old ford, east of the falls where it went down suddenly into the lowlands. Far to the west in a haze lay the meres and eyots through which it wound its way to the Greyflood....
...So they passed into Eregion, and at last a fair morning dawned, shimmering above gleaming mists; and looking from their camp on a low hill the travellers saw away in the east the Sun catching three peaks that thrust up into the sky through floating clouds: Caradhras, Celebdil, and Fanuidhol. They were near to the Gates of Moria."

September 1, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire thrives.
..."...All the children born or begotten in that year, and there were many, were fair to see and strong, and most of them had a rich golden hair that had before been rare among hobbits. The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in strawberries and cream... ...they sat on the lawns under the plum-trees and ate, until they had make piles of stones like small pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror, and then they moved on. And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow the grass."

sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 2 2012, 8:36pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 1:00pm

Post #9 of 15 (51 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it appropriate [In reply to] Can't Post

that Sam would give us the best description? That Tolkien would choose his moment with the Ring to be the most significant in that description and experience is wonderful. Makes his opportunity to go to the Havens and join Frodo as a Ring-bearer more poignant, imho. :)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2012, 2:49pm

Post #10 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
A Time to Honour the Good Professor [In reply to] Can't Post

September 2, 1973
From Of Beren and Lúthien: The Silmarillion
..."Now Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel went free again and together walked through the woods renewing for a time their joy; and though winter came it hurt them not, for flowers lingered where Lúthien went, and the birds sang beneath the snowclad hills."

From Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad: The Silmarillion
..."It is said that Beren and Lúthien returned to the northern lands of Middle-earth, and dwelt together for a time as living man and woman; and they took up again their mortal form in Doriath. Those that saw them were both glad and fearful; and Lúthien went to Menegroth and healed the winter of Thingol with the touch of her hand. But Melian looked in her eyes and read the doom that was written there... ...she knew that a parting beyond the end of the world had come between them, and no grief of loss has been heavier than the grief of Melian the Maia in that hour. Then Beren and Lúthien went forth alone, fearing neither thirst nor hunger; and they passed beyond the River Gelion into Ossiriand, and dwelt there in Tol Galen the green isle... ...until all tidings of them ceased. The Eldar afterwards called that country Dor Firn-i-Guinar, and the Land of the Dead that Live; and there was born Dior Aranel the beautiful, who was after known as Dior Eluchíl, which is Thingol's Heir. No mortal man spoke ever again with Beren son of Barahir; and none saw Beren or Lúthien leave the world, or marked where at last their bodies lay."

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2012, 7:48pm

Post #11 of 15 (53 views)
Shortcut
Long was the way that fate them bore [In reply to] Can't Post

O'er stony mountains cold and grey,
Through halls of iron and darkling door,
And woods of nightshade morrowless.

The Sundering Seas between them lay,
And yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.

Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 3 2012, 2:41am

Post #12 of 15 (53 views)
Shortcut
To the professor, with thoughts of wonder and delight. [In reply to] Can't Post

The most profound mystery to me from Tolkien revolves around Tom Bombadil. "Tom sang most of the time, but it was chiefly nonsense, or else perhaps a strange language unknown to the hobbits, an ancient language whose words were mainly those of wonder and delight''.

Tolkien loved to sing and i wonder if it could be construed by him that the 'song' from within, with regard to the thought concept of sub-creation, that in the end, the 'purpose' of it all, was "wonder and delight". I would like to think so. It would fit into nicely into the grand mystery and into his realm of "Faerie".

*Lifts ale in remembrance*

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 11:27am

Post #13 of 15 (84 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 3, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. September in Hobbiton.
..."...it was understood that something quite exceptional was being planned for that autumn. Bilbo was going to be eleventy-one, 111, a rather curious number, and a very respectable age for a hobbit... ...and Frodo was going to be thirty-three, 33, an important number: the date of his 'coming of age'.
...Tongues began to wag in Hobbiton and Bywater; and rumour of the coming event travelled all over the Shire. The history and character of Mr. Bilbo Baggins became once again the chief topic of conversation; and the older folk suddenly found their reminiscences in welcome demand.
...No one had a more attentive audience than old Ham Gamgee, commonly known as the Gaffer.... ...he spoke with some authority, for he had tended the garden at Bag End for forty years, and had helped old Holman in the same job before that. Now that he was himself growing old and stiff in the joints, the job was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamgee. Both father and son were on very friendly terms with Bilbo and Frodo. They lived on the Hill itself, in Number 3 Bagshot Row just below Bag End.
...'A very nice well-spoken gentlehobbit is Mr. Bilbo, as I've always said,' the Gaffer declared. With perfect truth: for Bilbo was very polite to him, calling him 'Master Hamfast', and consulting him constantly upon the growing of vegetables—in the matter of 'roots', especially potatoes, the Gaffer was recognized as the leading authority by all in the neighbourhood (including himself).
...'But what about this Frodo that lives with him?' asked Old Noakes of Bywater. 'Baggins is his name, but he's more than half a Brandybuck... ...left an orphan and stranded, as you might say, among those queer Bucklanders. Being brought up anyhow in Brandy Hall. A regular warren, by all accounts. Old Master Gorbadoc never had fewer than a couple of hundred relations in the place. Mr. Bilbo never did a kinder deed than when he brought the lad back to live among decent folk...
...'...they do things proper at Bag End. [says the Gaffer] Our Sam says that everyone's going to be invited to the party, and there's going to be presents, mark you, presents for all--this very month as is.'"

sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 3 2012, 12:58pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2012, 9:18am

Post #14 of 15 (59 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 4, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Party rumours start.
..."...a rumour (probably started by the knowledgeable Sam) was spread about that there were going to be fireworks--fireworks, what is more, such as had not been seen in the Shire for nigh on a century, not indeed since the Old Took died."

sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 4 2012, 9:21am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 9:23am

Post #15 of 15 (62 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 5, 2941 (S.R. 1401)
1. Gandalf at the White Council.
... "In the late summer... ...Gandalf had at last prevailed upon Saruman and the White Council to attack Dol Guldur, and Sauron retreated and went to Mordor, there to be secure, as he thought, from all his enemies. So it was that when the War came at last the main assault was turned southwards..."

sample

Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.