Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
How? Did you Pick your Avatar?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 11:28am

Post #51 of 64 (507 views)
Shortcut
Um, let me get back to you on that one... [In reply to] Can't Post

(Actually, I have a bunch of great weaver images, courtesy of Magpie...now, I just need to figure out what to do with them!!)

Weaver

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 12:07pm

Post #52 of 64 (519 views)
Shortcut
My story is similar... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I swear I picked my username before I saw your sig! Obviously I liked the same, quote, though.

I was in high school a bit later than 1970, but I started doodling Smaug everywhere (he looked a lot like an alligator with wings in my renditions) after reading The Hobbit in 2nd grade.

And my avatar is from Tolkien's "Conversation with Smaug" because it fits the username and I love it. I had to cut out the tiny silhouette of Bilbo making his bow, though, alas.

This is a really interesting topic.

Elthir
Gondor

Aug 30 2012, 1:25pm

Post #53 of 64 (411 views)
Shortcut
Generated fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that anyone said the name generator pretends to do anything but generate, nor that it can't be fun, but it seems pretty random with respect to Tolkien. Again I don't mean to squash fun but most people seem to want some 'connection' to an Elvish name -- if not a translation of their own name, at least a meaning that they connect with in some way. I had too much time on my hands one day, and so, for example:

Chris Wetherell's name generator: put in female first name letter a, and last name i, and it will give you Lúthien Falassion (simply putting the one letter in each box I mean). With first and last letter, a combination A-A (like Amanda) and C-A (like Carla), or Z-A (Zina) will generate Lúthien.

And anything beginning with g,h,i which ends with an i will generate Falassion. If you start with g, put the whole alphabet in but end with i, it will not matter. So, if your name is Carla Giovanni or Amanda Grabowski, for a couple examples, you will get Lúthien Falassion (at least when I did it). There might be more combinations, but I'm not that bored.

Ales Bican's list of largely Neo-Quenya names (over at website ELM, but also linked in this thread) doesn't generate anything, but the list is an attempt to translate the meaning of Primary World names into Quenya (based on Tolkien-made examples).

A good thing about the above generator is that you might get something Tolkien-made, if not actually being a translation of anything you put in. Of course if you want something Tolkien-made you can randomly pick one out of the books in any case.

That said, a connection to the sound of the name is quite important, no matter the meaning.

So nevermind Pirate

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Aug 30 2012, 1:57pm

Post #54 of 64 (441 views)
Shortcut
Angsty Morgoth, er, I mean, Lucifer [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how amusing or remotely interesting any of this will be, but here goes...

I'm a John Milton fancrone, cf. Paradise Lost (oh, how I love Milton's gift for prose, and the story is wonderful), so that influenced my choice of icon: Lucifer by the incomparable Gustave Doré.

My icon also reflects (loosely) my choice of nickname, a trivial reference to Thű, the dark sorcerer from JRRT's earlier writings, later dubbed Sauron. I see plenty of nicknames referring to the good guys/gals here or to the more vaunted villains. I am merely an inconsequential bit in the greater scheme of things, esp. in the august company of Real Tolkien Fans™ here on TORn, so nothing so vaunted for me. Given that I a) embrace science and technology; b) unabashedly admit to a mind of metal and wheels (although I have been known to grok nature and let my imagination soar; shhh, don't tell Thű); and c) am a little cog in one of the most reviled machines of industry, known as Pharma-dűr (right up — or down — there with Dol BigOil and ThangoroTobaccodrim), I figure I am more appropriately placed in the medicine cabinet of Tol-in-Gaurhoth than in the Mathom-house of The Shire. Wink

Hence, Tweezers of Thű.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Nightingale
Rohan

Aug 30 2012, 2:28pm

Post #55 of 64 (451 views)
Shortcut
Fairly simple really [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a great Beren/Luthien fan, and a singer too - so Nightingale seemed perfect. I like the fact that the Nightingale hides a beautiful voice beneath a somewhat plain exterior...

My avatar is a sketch I did of the Snow White promotional poster. As soon as I saw it I recognised it as my ideal fantasy armour/weaponry. Blush
It ended up looking a little less like SW and a little more like me.

(yes, I realise it has no nose. Every nose I drew wrecked the sketch ).Laugh

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 30 2012, 3:20pm

Post #56 of 64 (440 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have always found it amusing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know where your picture came from, but now that you mention it, he does look sort of angsty. Laugh

Also, your nick inspired me to look up "Thű"; since I'm not one of those "real fans" you mention, I'd never heard of it. So thanks for that! Smile

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Aug 30 2012, 5:06pm

Post #57 of 64 (465 views)
Shortcut
Aw, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not one of those "real fans" you mention...

Likewise, I'm not a real fan either. In fact, I learned recently that I am a NARF. I'm still waiting for my official laminated NARF card, but I think I must reach Valinor before I receive one. Wink

Re: Thű. I like the story of Beren and Lúthien far more as told in "The Lay of Leithian" than in The Silmarillion. There. I said it.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

mandel
Rivendell

Aug 31 2012, 3:51am

Post #58 of 64 (409 views)
Shortcut
Alfred Jarry [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar is of Alfred Jarry, one of my favorite writers, and a little-known precursor of both science fiction and late 20th century philosophy.

Not Tolkien-related, I know, but I thought I'd go with it because the literature I love is all connected for me: Tolkien, Beckett, Jarry, Joyce, Borges - they all exist together in my mind, and I'm constantly making connections between them. Hence, I have no patience for people who want to divide things up into 'high lit' and 'popular lit.' Mostly, these people have never seriously tried reading and sci-fi or fantasy, and have been educated out of loving it (since children always seem to love stories of the fantastic)...

Patty
Immortal

Aug 31 2012, 6:58pm

Post #59 of 64 (390 views)
Shortcut
I chose this piccy when my post count put me in Valinor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Earendil's arrival, don't you know. Just haven't changed it since.

Permanent address: Into the West

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 31 2012, 9:30pm

Post #60 of 64 (367 views)
Shortcut
Pic [In reply to] Can't Post

Gondor is one of my favorite places in ME hence the heraldric banner of Rohan,

My name Yngwulff is the name of a character I played in D&D ...Yng not as in young but as in Yngve and wulff.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2012, 12:31pm

Post #61 of 64 (387 views)
Shortcut
ooooh John Milton, that's awesome :D I have a close friend who's a huuuge Fancrone of Paradise Lost too.f [In reply to] Can't Post

He can quote large parts off his hand. He's quite the literature genius Cool

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2012, 12:45pm

Post #62 of 64 (368 views)
Shortcut
Well, my Avatar name is: [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb: from Xanadu (my favourite Rush song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ker-C8FE2c)
+
Sebastian, which my real life name :)

= Xanaseb.

My Avatar pic was originally:

Which I might change back to some day. It's 'Xanaseb' in Tengwar script and Cirth script that I did and scanned in Cool

My current avatar pic is Ted Nasmith's Blue Wizards painting, which I adore, and because they're my favourite Tolkien characters... hehe

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Bladerunner
Gondor

Sep 1 2012, 7:49pm

Post #63 of 64 (432 views)
Shortcut
Nics and Pics... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of several Ridley Scott films, with "Blade Runner" being one of my favorites.
I was intrigued by the tragic nature of the replicants, so have used both the Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) and Rachael (Sean Young) characters as avatars.

I also liked the Kevin Smith film "Clerks," when it was first released, so lately I've been using the short-lived cartoon version of the Jay and Silent Bob characters as my avatar to lighten things up a bit.

BTW - Kevin Smith does have a passing resemblance to Sir Peter Jackson...

Count Balrog
The Shire

Sep 2 2012, 12:46am

Post #64 of 64 (398 views)
Shortcut
I was in the same newsgroup Noel mentioned ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and had a Balrog character called Count Menelvagor. The count bit came partly from opera, and partly from snobbery, and partly from who knows what. Later I developed a similar character for a weird RPG. Anway, I was bored of Menelvagor and couldn't be bothered to come up with a new name (especially as it would have been obscure anyway), so just went with Count Balrog.

My avatar comes from the RPG I just mentioned. I didn't come up with it (didn't have the photoshopping skills); but have been using it ever since.

Balrogs rule (literally)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.