Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Eye Spy - A Preview

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 11:16am

Post #1 of 13 (328 views)
Shortcut
Eye Spy - A Preview Can't Post

I have pulled together several images in the style shown below for World Hobbit Day. Your mission is to 1) determine who owns these eyes, and 2) when/where/what line is associated with this image?

For example, I posted this one last week:

With the answer being...

Bilbo outside Bag End blowing smoke rings with Gandalf.

So here are a few more. Please let me know what you think - too easy, too hard, or juuuust right.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

One other thought - do you think these images from LOTR should be included in The Hobbit version next month, or should I post them here for fun? (I have another set of images just for TH.) Enjoy!

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 11:26am

Post #2 of 13 (142 views)
Shortcut
My answers contained within [In reply to] Can't Post

Exhibit A:

Everard Proudfoot - FOTR - Gandalf just seeting off fireworks

Exhibit B:

Merry - TTT - On the back of an Uruk-Hai

Exhibit C:

Arwen - TTT - Mourning the death of Aragorn

I think you're spot on with the level of difficulty Delrond. Apart from C, I think you've picked quite general pictures of the characters. At least, I was going to guess the return of the Hobbits for A, but went for Gandalf's arrival instead.

As for World Hobbit day, you could do characters in the trilogy that will be appearing in the new films, eye shots from the animated films, eye shots from promo pictures/vlogs, and just general ones like below? Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 1:35pm

Post #3 of 13 (146 views)
Shortcut
Eye'll play! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Mr. Proudfoot, smiling as Gandalf's wagon goes by trailing fireworks in FOTR.
This one is easy because I know it.

2. This one is hard because I don't recognize it. I thought it might be Merry, but it looks too old. There also appear to be burn or trauma wounds at the right temple. I'll guess Merry after being captured by Uruk Hai in TT. I suppose being captured by Uruk Hai would make anyone look old.

3. Arwen, Queen of the Reunited Kingdom, gazing sadly at the tomb of King Elessar in ROTK.
This one was also easy because I know the answer. Tongue

I say post whatever pics you want. After all, we don't yet have a Hobbit film to draw from, unless you want to use the R&B version. There are Hobbits in LOTR after all.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 2:04pm

Post #4 of 13 (131 views)
Shortcut
Well that seemed too easy. Try these. [In reply to] Can't Post

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 2:12pm

Post #5 of 13 (125 views)
Shortcut
Now these are tricky! [In reply to] Can't Post

#1 - Elrond? Recalling Isildur and the Ring? Or perhaps with Arwen in ROTK?

#2 - Elendil? Just been smooshed by Sauron?

#3 - Faramir or is it Bormor? Either Faramir finding out Frodo has the Ring, or Boromir in the chamber with Narsil?

#4 - Gimli - Outside the gates of the Hornburg

#5 - Faramir - Forbidden pool scene?

So yes .... hmm ... I'm not really sure on any of these, and am only 99% sure on #4 ... the rest ... Crazy

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 2:27pm

Post #6 of 13 (121 views)
Shortcut
These are tough! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Elrond? Looks too young. Maybe Eomer. When he's telling Eowyn he doubts the reach of Merry's arm in ROTK. Somewhere that he looks grim. Well, that doesn't help. He looks grim most of the time, except when he looks hot. Tongue

2. Well, it's a dead guy. Or mostly dead. Not an elf in the Dead Marshes. Too aged. Elendil? After being made dead by Sauron in the FOTR prologue.

3. Definitely Faramir. He looks annoyed. I think it's when he's warning Gollum not to trick Frodo as they leave Osgiliath via the drainage tunnel. He doesn't look scared enough for that to be from a battle. I thought it might be from the attack on Osgiliath, but no.

4. I actually know this one! Gimli telling Eowyn that Aragorn "fell", in TT.

5. It looks like Isildur. No idea where.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 3:30pm

Post #7 of 13 (124 views)
Shortcut
I think you've done better than me! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great fun Delrond. Whatever you choose, I look forward to more in future Smile

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 4:02pm

Post #8 of 13 (93 views)
Shortcut
That second group is tough . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking Eomer at Edoras for #1
I thought it might be Smaegol in #3

Only one I'm sure about is Gimli, but I don't know where . . .

TOUGH!

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Aug 28 2012, 10:01pm

Post #9 of 13 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yes, these are much harder! [In reply to] Can't Post

#1 - Pretty sure it's Eomer. Can't remember exactly where though.

#2 - This is driving me crazy! I don't know! Possiblly Elendil.

#3 - Definitely Boromir. Either talking to Aragorn in Rivendell or being freaked out by Galadriel.

#4 - Gimli telling Eowyn that Aragorn fell off a cliff? Maybe Paths of the Dead.

#5 - Not really sure about this one either. Probably Faramir at the pool. (The phrase 'Faramir at the pool' gave me an unwelcome image of Faramir lounging poolside in speedos, make it stop.)

This is a fun game! More! Laugh

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 28 2012, 10:08pm

Post #10 of 13 (75 views)
Shortcut
My guesses [In reply to] Can't Post

#1-Eomer ("He would flee, and he would be right to do so")

#2-Elendil (Dead in the Prologue)

#3-Faramir ("Frodo, they say a dark terror dwells in the pass above Minas Morgul")

#4-Gimli ("He fell.")

#5-Isildur (about to put the Ring on)

Thanks for this, it's a fun exercise!

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 28 2012, 11:24pm

Post #11 of 13 (70 views)
Shortcut
For the most part, [In reply to] Can't Post

you and AE are spot on. Lots of good guesses by everyone. Cool

1) Eomer (to Eowyn): "War is the province of men." Encampment before Pelennor.
2) Elendil: Dead after being bashed in the head by Sauron's mace. Slopes of Mount Doom, Last Alliance of Elves and Men.
3) Faramir (to Gollum): "May death find you quickly if you bring them to harm." Osgiliath, in the passage to Minas Morgul.
4) Gimli (to Eowyn): "He fell." Helm's Deep
5) Isuldur about to put the ring on as he is being chased by Orcs in the Gladden Fields.

I'll rummage through more of the images tomorrow and post a few more - don't want to use them all before World Hobbit Day. Smile I'll probably start a new thread with a better description.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 29 2012, 7:21am

Post #12 of 13 (50 views)
Shortcut
Well, I did rubbish! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look forward to it Delrond *thumbs up* Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2012, 10:15am

Post #13 of 13 (106 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Bilbo sitting on the bench in front of Bag End talking with Gandalf.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.