Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Get to know your TORNsibs!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sador
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 6:27am

Post #51 of 71 (209 views)
Shortcut
Hedgehogs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't they they cutest?

By the way, did you play any croquet with them? Wink

The chief difficulty Alice found at first was in managing her flamingo: she succeeded in getting its body tucked away comfortably enough under her arm, with its legs hanging down, but generally, just as she had got its neck nicely straightened out, and was going to give the hedgehog a blow with its head, it would twist itself round and look up in her face, with such a puzzled expression that she could not help bursting out laughing; and, when she had got its head down, and was going to begin again, it was very provoking to find that the hedgehog had unrolled itself, and was in the act of crawling away...

"In the morning Bilbo misses breakfast. – is this the most unbelievable part of this chapter?"
- Elven

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for a somewhat less clever discussion of Queer Lodgings!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 28 2012, 6:42am

Post #52 of 71 (212 views)
Shortcut
Interesting questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What super-power would you like to have?

Ability to run, jump, etc. with great power.

2) What childhood toy did you love playing with?

Early: Dumbo (stuffed toy). Later: paper dolls, including both people and horses. I fabricated elaborate plots that went on for days.

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be?

Old: Secret Agent, w/ Patrick McGoohan
Recent: Firefly!

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree?

Hugh de Tracy, who was one of the 4 knights that killed Thomas à Becket

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose?

Probably an invisibility cloak (NOT the One Ring!).

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 28 2012, 11:34am

Post #53 of 71 (195 views)
Shortcut
I prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

TORnadoes, too. I just think it sounds better.

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 28 2012, 11:44am

Post #54 of 71 (212 views)
Shortcut
I've been watching Frasier [In reply to] Can't Post

Streaming on Netflix lately. I always enjoyed the few shows I catched when it was on TV but I've never watched much commercial TV so I'd only seen a handful. Frasier & Niles are a hoot!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 4:54pm

Post #55 of 71 (192 views)
Shortcut
Donnelly [In reply to] Can't Post

You've probably seen this: Donnelly Family Tree There's a little info on James and Johanna there.

In Orlo Miller's book, he spoke of a feud that originated in Ireland and followed the family to Biddulph. If you are looking for facts, my sense is Kelley's books contain few in comparison to Miller's. Though the guy who appears to know the most about them is Ray Fazakas author of Donnelly Family Album (a great resource!) -- and unlike the other two authors, he is still alive!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 5:43pm

Post #56 of 71 (202 views)
Shortcut
Great questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Super-power: Whatever Captain America has... I like that.

2) Childhood toy: a stick.

3) Bring back one TV series: Are You Being Served though a reboot would be difficult since the cultural aspects it rested upon have long since disappeared.

4) Famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative: yes.

5) Working version of any object from SF/F: Soma. Then after a brief but terrible battle with it, I would disavow the stuff entirely.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 6:00pm

Post #57 of 71 (189 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't there an episode where she used her bionic powers [In reply to] Can't Post

to clean the house? Laugh

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2012, 6:03pm

Post #58 of 71 (178 views)
Shortcut
Here we go... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Flight

2. Plastic T.rex

3. Bonanza Cool

4. A(n in)famous Finnish criminal/rascal/it's a culture and era thing, they thought being a murderous badass with a knife was cool

5. A palantir

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2012, 5:46am

Post #59 of 71 (160 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in all fairness, the house was very messyWink

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2012, 5:53am

Post #60 of 71 (150 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Emergency is due for a reboot [In reply to] Can't Post

I've wondered on occasion why it hasn't been done yet. So much of TV history has been mined for remakes, and Emergency could be a great one!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2012, 6:08am

Post #61 of 71 (159 views)
Shortcut
Vicar of Dibley reruns [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't your local PBS station run continuous loops of the Vicar? Laugh Where I live, the Vicar has been on almost every Sunday night for...what?...fifteen years? There were, of course, only a handful of episodes at first so they would bring in something else now and then like To The Manor Born, but the people would speak, and the Vicar was always brought back. Fortunately, they have produced more over the years so that there are about four month's worth before they have to start again. I love the Vicar and the other "Brit-coms" they show here on Sunday night; it's like a little British holiday.Smile

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2012, 7:23am

Post #62 of 71 (155 views)
Shortcut
{waves at other Tornfolk} [In reply to] Can't Post

Flying (I love that dreamy flying, too, Gramma) or teleportation. The people I love are always somewhere I'm not. Frown

A Brownie box camera and an old boat in the backyard. I went on lots of adventures like Richard Halliburton. I was given his stories for children when I got the chicken pox.

3) If you could bring back one TV series (as an original or a reboot), what would it be?
Original Northern Exposure. (Hi Bomby!) Were there ever quirkier, wonderfuller characters on TV? One of the best days of my life was wandering around Cicely..er, Roslyn, WA - the Brick, KBHR, Ruth-Anne's store.

4) Do you have a famous, infamous, criminal or virtuous relative in your family tree?
Some people with itchy feet: a famous archeologist to South America; an ice pilot on Amundsen's expedition to the South Pole; some of the missionaries Michener wrote about in "Hawaii"; and, it is rumoured, one of Ned Kelly's gang in Australia.

5) If you were able to get a working version of any object from SF/F that you can hold in your hand or wear, what would you choose?
Dorothy's ruby slippers. (bling!)
Or a holodeck.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 29 2012, 12:49pm

Post #63 of 71 (133 views)
Shortcut
Here goes nothing... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I have to be limited to one, flight.

My plastic dinosaurs. They all had their own individual personalities and allegiances and would build vehicles and weapons out of my construction toys (and this was in the days before Transformers).

Hmmm. A new (animated?) Star Trek series seems inevitable. There is already word of a Blake's 7 revival (on Syfy). Maybe a reboot of Jonny Quest.

Yeah. We are supposed to be related (on my father's side) to a physician who arrived in the New World on the Mayflower (Dr. Samuel Fuller, if I remember correctly).

A Star Trek science tricorder.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 3:45pm

Post #64 of 71 (133 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen Vicar at all on my PBS station, and only knew of it because of people talking about it on TORn.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 3:46pm

Post #65 of 71 (144 views)
Shortcut
I've also used "TORnpeeps". :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

imin
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 3:52pm

Post #66 of 71 (149 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever watched Father Ted? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does it show in US? If you can get it, perhaps give it a watch, i find it very funny! Smile

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 4:27pm

Post #67 of 71 (132 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't know that I've even heard of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might have to netflix it, which is what I did for Vicar. Thanks for the recommendation!

imin
Valinor

Aug 29 2012, 4:41pm

Post #68 of 71 (122 views)
Shortcut
No problem. I hope you like it :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Aug 30 2012, 10:58am

Post #69 of 71 (120 views)
Shortcut
Ok here goes [In reply to] Can't Post

---Super speed, like the Flash, so I could get done with work faster.

---Construx

---Star Trek the Next Generation

---Supposedly I'm descended from Harold the last Saxon king of England, if the Norwood line really comes from him. And my wife is supposedly descended from William the Conqueror.

---That gun from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that makes people see things from your point of view.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 30 2012, 11:42am

Post #70 of 71 (125 views)
Shortcut
Late to the party, but here you go... [In reply to] Can't Post

Super Power -- Ah, how about getting people to understand someone else's point of view? Think what that would do for politics! My family! The Hobbit Board!

Childhood toy -- The Fisher Price Junior Circus Set (Kind of like my version of a Red Ryder BB Gun). Mr. Weaver found one on Ebay for me last year and put it under the Christmas tree for me, what a guy!

TV Series -- The original Lost in Space. Always wondered if Don and Judy ever did more than eat dinner with her family in outer space.

Family Tree -- Probably not, though I have been known to claim I am a long lost Ukranian princess who was raised in exile; one day my people will come for me!

SF Object -- Captain Janeway's replicator (Coffee, black"!)

Weaver

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2012, 12:16am

Post #71 of 71 (149 views)
Shortcut
Lol, hedgehogs are amazing, and croquet? LOL no way! hehe // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.