Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Legolas VS. Aragorn

iandea14
Rivendell

Aug 27 2012, 12:14am

Post #1 of 18 (2429 views)
Shortcut
Legolas VS. Aragorn Can't Post

So I have a long going debate between my friends on who would win in a hand to hand fight (No Archery), Legolas or Aragorn, in my opinion I believe that Legolas would win because Legolas is older and has more experience and is more agile and moves better with his weapons. So what is your opinions? Give your answer and reason!

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 27 2012, 12:22am

Post #2 of 18 (1096 views)
Shortcut
I guess that I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas is described as fast, agile, strong, and slow to weary.
Maybe it would end up being a long fight and Legolas' tirelessness would come in more and more as a factor.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

iandea14
Rivendell

Aug 27 2012, 12:28am

Post #3 of 18 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also always seen Aragorn as more of a brute force type of warrior. In Fellowship of The Ring he is shown as a ranger and very stealthy but in Two Towers and Return Of The King he is just brute force and I think Legolas could use that to his advantage.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 27 2012, 12:37am

Post #4 of 18 (1052 views)
Shortcut
I fully agree. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 11:10am

Post #5 of 18 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Not film Legolas though [In reply to] Can't Post

Far too pretty boy for my liking! Tongue

BrendanRawa
The Shire

Aug 27 2012, 5:27pm

Post #6 of 18 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In archery, legolas takes it. In melee, aragorn wins.

imin
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 6:27pm

Post #7 of 18 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Although both could fight with bow and sword, i imagine legolas is the better bowman and aragorn better with sword/hand to hand combat.

Aragorn has spent time being trained by the elves and knows how they fight. He has also spent time with men and learnt techniques/strategy from them. So i give him the edge there.

Ultimately i prefer Aragorn over Legolas (films didnt help, lol) so for me Aragorn is the winner.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 27 2012, 8:51pm

Post #8 of 18 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Presuming that Aragorn could get anywhere near Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

He would probably win. But he'd probably have several arrows through him before he got to that stage.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

iandea14
Rivendell

Aug 28 2012, 7:52am

Post #9 of 18 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

First Legolas has had a lot more training than Aragorn! Also he is naturally more skilled than Aragorn and can last a lot longer in a fight, he also has quicker reflexes and an all together faster more upbeat fighting style that I believe could beat Aragorn.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 30 2012, 7:37am

Post #10 of 18 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Likelihood is [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn for the win, more war hardened than Legolas and way, way, way, way, way, way back he has Maia heritage so he could do something pseudo, quasi, marginally angelic to lay the smack down on ol Legless. Largely speculative decision, on another day I could be thinking mr blondie, pointy ear, buy one knife and get one free, Mummerkil surfer would win.

In reality chance would play as big a part as anything as both are very capable warriors.

elevorn
Lorien

Aug 31 2012, 7:24pm

Post #11 of 18 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Stalemate [In reply to] Can't Post

or Aragorn wins by getting Legolas close to the sea, Legolas loses the will to fight and goes surfing.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 31 2012, 9:42pm

Post #12 of 18 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Legolas, particularly if they are [In reply to] Can't Post

fighting in the snow.

Of course, Legolas would be *on* the snow. Only Aragorn would be *in* it .

Smile Loresilme

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 2 2012, 9:49am

Post #13 of 18 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Now I have the disturbing thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of Aragorn burrowing through the snow beneath Legolas, hollowing out a snow cave. Legolas standing on top of the snow, looking around uncomfortably, but unable to make up the source of the rumbling and trembling of the ground...

...until finally, Legolas breaks in and falls into the cave. There is Aragorn waiting for him, grinning madly: "Welcome to the world of gravity!"

One swing with Narsil, and we have an ex-Elf.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 6 2012, 12:20pm

Post #14 of 18 (929 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do I need a reason? Wink

No seriously, I agree with the points others have made that, having been raised in Rivendell, Aragorn has the best of both worlds. Also, can anyone enlighten me as to what fighting experience Legolas might have? As a prince of Mirkwood, giant spiders presumably... Wheras everyone's favourite ranger has spent years in errantry. The internet tells me that "As Thorongil he serves in disguise both Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor." And he's been to Harad, so Mumakil and Oliphaunts and all sorts of strange things there.

In short, Aragorn. Although you are right that Legolas would win an archery contest.Wink

Nice to meet you by the way. I'm Nightingale, an Aragorn fan. Laugh

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

(This post was edited by Nightingale on Sep 6 2012, 12:22pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 6 2012, 1:41pm

Post #15 of 18 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Put it moer in terms of a conttest or competion... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that Legolas' experience counts for as much as you think. For one thing, he is supposed to be relatively inexperienced in dealings with the world-at-large. Aragorn, on the other hand, has been practically everywhere.

I would give hand-to-hand to Aragorn, with weapons or without. Of course, Legolas would excel at archery or anything else requiring a high degree of agility or eye-to-hand coordination.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 6 2012, 12:37am

Post #16 of 18 (991 views)
Shortcut
After a prolonged fight scene.... [In reply to] Can't Post

ending in a tight clutch the slow music would well and the soft focus bro-mance would begin.Heart

MintoLabingi

Nov 10 2012, 2:49am

Post #17 of 18 (797 views)
Shortcut
Legolas, probably [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like Legolas would win just because he's an elf and already has more agility, speed, and possibly strength than Aragorn. But I think Aragorn has more experience with hand to hand combat. They are both awesome characters though and would definitely beat anyone else. :D

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Nov 20 2012, 2:18pm

Post #18 of 18 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know that Legolas would be stronger. I think the scene in the book as they are making their way over Caradhras paints Boromir as the strongest member of the Fellowship and Aragorn would at least be close to him in strength, I think.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.