Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FotR, TT, and RotK 5 disc blu-ray sets
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 3 2012, 3:32pm

Post #51 of 60 (623 views)
Shortcut
Tv settings [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recall what I have it on.i think I have it set to movie or something like that. The image doesn't look saturated when watching at least I don't think so. lol the grasses have a nice green, skies a nice blue, whites are white, etc. there was no tint on anything I found on this copy of the EE or the original release.

I will try. I'm gonna finish the trilogy today, write a couple reviews, and then getting some stuff done for work so I can't promise it will be done quickly.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2012, 4:02pm

Post #52 of 60 (626 views)
Shortcut
Photographic Comparisons [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're going to use photographs of a TV screen, which is an intrisically flawed methodology, at least provide a baseline reference. Photographs of TVs are suspect because you not only have the TV visual output in the data stream to us, but also the camera's CCD input and output which is also not a perfect image. Cameras are often skewed, for example, toward red and have different responses to different portions of the spectrum. Then finally add our own monitors, which may not be color corrected, to the mix and what we actually see of your images on our screens can vary wildly. The best analysis comes from equipment that looks directly at the data to see the color values.

I'm not saying what you see doesn't look good to you. The difference is slight and is more or less pronounced - subjectively for different people and objectively for different configurations.

Now for a baseline reference, if they must be photographs, you should provide photos from a direct angle (yours is oblique for some reason) of ALL the FOTR versions - DVD, Blu-ray, TE/EE, using identical configuration, setup, lighting, exposure, film frames, etc for a proper comparison so that even if the images on our monitors via your camera are not a true representations of what you directly see on your TV or the data streamed from the physical media, at least we can see a difference if one is present.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 3 2012, 4:23pm

Post #53 of 60 (604 views)
Shortcut
Not gonna work that hard lol [In reply to] Can't Post

What I've showed is what I saw. I don't care enough about the discussion to go to all that work. There is no green tint when I'm watching either versions of the EE. If others see it I don't know what to say and it something I don't want to come across as argumentative especially as a torn staffer.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2012, 4:47pm

Post #54 of 60 (619 views)
Shortcut
Subjective Is OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course your subjective experience is an honest testimony of what you see. There are many just like you and that is not disputed. I'm just saying that photographic "proof" of TV images is unreliable. I would say that even for The Green Tint images found around the web if they are not done correctly.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 3 2012, 5:14pm

Post #55 of 60 (599 views)
Shortcut
Agreed 110% [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Sep 3 2012, 8:07pm

Post #56 of 60 (626 views)
Shortcut
Hey JW, did you read this? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Blu-ray/19929/

I guess the idea that this dark overlay is to bring Fellowship more in line with The Hobbit could be true, but why didn't he do that on the TE blu-ray versions, which are supposed to be his director's cut?

That's okay. My Oppo upconverts well. I will just have to watch the dvd and not the blu-ray Fellowship. I have effectively thrown in the towel.

Permanent address: Into the West

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2012, 8:41pm

Post #57 of 60 (626 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that article is the well-done Ken Brown review from June 17, 2011 that Kendalf has also mentioned. The possibility that FOTR's Green Tint is meant to transition from The Hobbit has long been posited. But that makes no sense to me in terms of the 60-year gap in the story, the inconsistencies of those scenes in the menus or flashbacks in the later two films, and even the return to Hobbiton in ROTK. Not to mention the recent reference I saw to green titles.

You linked to the overview, but you'll see Ken Brown's credit and more text on the Blu-ray Review tab. I don't see anything that has changed much since he wrote it, so the section entitled "The Color Change: An Unexpected Journey" is a great tutorial to help anyone understand The Green Tint issue.

I would not fall to the side of being forced to make the assumption, however, that it is 100% intentional until stated otherwise. In that, Brown is somewhat less cynical - at least in public (wink) - than I.

I have an Oppo too! (BDP 83) Smile

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 3 2012, 8:42pm)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 8:23pm

Post #58 of 60 (575 views)
Shortcut
My Oppo is just a dvd player, which I got cause I could hack it for region 2 discs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having issues with the Sony Blu Ray player I just got for the 3D TV. A couple of discs are having jerky movements--discs that didn't show these issues with the other Sony blu-ray player--the S550. I can't afford an Oppo BDP, but I'll bet it wouldn't have had these issues.

I think the green tint battle is a battle that is already lost. Frown

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2012, 9:55pm

Post #59 of 60 (564 views)
Shortcut
Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the green tint battle is a battle that is already lost. Frown

<Sticks fingers in ears...>

Lalalalala!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 6:37pm

Post #60 of 60 (717 views)
Shortcut
Hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

(smiles indulgently).

Never give up. Never surrender, kinda thing, huh?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.