Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
How friendly are the forums?

Gorbag
Rivendell

Aug 25 2012, 8:36pm

Post #1 of 20 (656 views)
Shortcut
How friendly are the forums? Can't Post

Im not sure if this is the right place for this, sorry if it isnt.

Im reasonably new to these forums, so im not sure if this is how its always been like this or not.

From the time ive started on these forums, mant times ive seen the ''Tone'' of discussions very quickly turn to bikering, and quite aggresive exchanges between people who differ on opinions. I know people are passionate about their views and Tolkiens work etc, but i just find the tone of the discussions get bitter on a lot of occasions.

Usually it seems to be the same people argueing points, on various topics. Most of the times the harsh/unfriendly exchanges seem to be over the most minor of things. You may well say ''Welcome to the internet!'' but i did think that TORn would be different in that aspect. I would have thought that a site made for fans of Tolkien wouldnt have this passive-aggresive exchanges over the most minor of points that you find on every message board on the internet.

If you look in The Hobbit forum, there are quite a few intresting discussions going on. But, within these discussion are people being pretty harsh with each other. I just dont understand why people feel the need to be so abrasive in their discussions with each other. Passion about what you love is great, but not passion to the point where discussions turn into a boxing match. I wish people could tone it down a little, and be more gentle with each other.

Sorry for the babble, and this isnt a call for the Mods to crack down on people or anything, its just some feedback.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 8:46pm

Post #2 of 20 (327 views)
Shortcut
TORN has been a very friendly place [In reply to] Can't Post

for most of its existence. Feelings are running quite high at the moment and yes, there is a lot more bickering and bad blood at the moment than is usual with us. The Admins/Mods are well aware of the declining "tone" and will be taking measures. Bear with us a little. Hopefully we will regain our balance soon.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2012, 12:09am

Post #3 of 20 (299 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, what Silverlode said! [In reply to] Can't Post

In my experience with TORn, the tone in some quarters at the moment is out-of-character. I suggest spending some time in Off-Topic, in the caption contests and other fun threads, in SCOD (ScreenCap Of the Day) under the LOTR Movies section... and the Walk to Rivendell thread on Main (shameless plug, sorryBlush). In other words, hang out where the emotions aren't quite running so high as people are dealing (with varying amounts of grace) with anticipation, confounded expectations, and a lot of unknown.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Gorbag
Rivendell

Aug 26 2012, 12:23am

Post #4 of 20 (311 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i was hoping this isnt the ''Norm''. TORN is a great place. [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy TORN alot, this is why i made the post in the first place, more out of concern for TORN as whole more than anything.

I think i'll do as you suggest and look at others sections of the forums, its a good idea. Smile

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 26 2012, 12:30am

Post #5 of 20 (313 views)
Shortcut
Can't help but wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if my reply to you in the GDT thread was what prompted this post? Upon rereading it, I found it to be quite a bit more acerbic than I intended. If so, please accept my apologies.

The perennial GDT vs PJ threads often get testy -- though the latest one has been rather mild by comparison, if not mildly profitable in helping to heal an old wound.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Gorbag
Rivendell

Aug 26 2012, 12:36am

Post #6 of 20 (342 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, not at all SirDennisC. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just talking about the general feeling of the forums, mainly The Hobbit stuff, and the amount of abrasiveness ive seen in threads. It’s just getting a little tiring to read, and stifles discussions.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2012, 6:22am

Post #7 of 20 (307 views)
Shortcut
I've not been here that long... [In reply to] Can't Post

but long enough to see a bit of what you are talking about. This place is a friendly place. There has been and will always be some pretty intense discussions but what wins out more often than not is that people respect others opinions. And that they are in fact differing 'opinions'. With The Hobbit movies ramping up over the last year or so the boards have definitely seen an increase in traffic. This also happened with the LOTR movies (I wasn't here at the beginning but was lurking/joined near the end of all that), and in the end those folks who constantly started arguments or bickered or were generally unkind towards others were enventually drowned out by the overall positivety of these boards. Don't be discouraged, stick around for a while and you'll enjoy this place. The admins are awesome and the regulars are pretty wicked. I've never, ever come across a more educated, well spoken, caring bunch in my life, at least not on the internet. Take the negative opinions as opinions only, would be my advice. Have fun. Enjoy the place.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 26 2012, 9:21am

Post #8 of 20 (299 views)
Shortcut
My opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of threads do end up going downhill - but find me a forum that this doesn't happen in. Tongue What makes this forum unique, however, is that bickering threads are the minority, and so are the people who start them. The majority of people here are friendly, kind, and easy to talk to. What's more, the admins/mods use their power wisely. There's a forum I lurk in (only to check for spoilers and speculation) and hate how the admins and mods think they are better than anyone else. They're rude to new people, they tell users to shut up, and are just in general awful at what they do.

If all else fails Gorbag, I'm friendly, and so is everyone else in this thread! You don't have to worry about me biting your hand off.

cameragod
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 10:51am

Post #9 of 20 (299 views)
Shortcut
I'm normaly friendly [In reply to] Can't Post

and I do re read everything before I hit the "Reply Post" button to make sure what I wrote is what I meant and there is no underlining personal attack, I try to keep playing the ball not another poster.
But I admit I am finding it harder.
I like a good argument and accept that there will be a degree of hyperbole, I'm just getting tired of some who seem to think its ok when losing a debate to just make stuff up... and then just go silent when they get caught out, well that gets old fast.
So as long as you stick to actual real things to back up any points you want to make and leave the fantasy fiction to Tolkien we should get on fine. :)

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 26 2012, 2:09pm

Post #10 of 20 (311 views)
Shortcut
I take the silence as a form of agreement... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

cameragod
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 6:35pm

Post #11 of 20 (246 views)
Shortcut
We need a icon [In reply to] Can't Post

That means yes I'm silently agreeing with you

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 26 2012, 8:18pm

Post #12 of 20 (266 views)
Shortcut
I've been lurking around the edges for over ten years [In reply to] Can't Post

and will say that in comparison to other boards I've visited this is one of the calmest and most polite places to visit.

There's an ebb and flow to the agressiveness of discussion which can be attributed to the appearance and disappearance of various personalities as well as with the approach of major events (movie, dvd, convention, concert).

As Altaira said somewhere today.... just don't respond to posts that you find disturbing -- notify the moderators and they will handle it.

And as someone suggested in this thread..... go search out the quieter corners of the boards whenever you need relief from the emotions.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2012, 8:25pm

Post #13 of 20 (255 views)
Shortcut
Beyond The Illusion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And as someone suggested in this thread..... go search out the quieter corners of the boards whenever you need relief from the emotions.

Or go better and further beyond this virtual illusion of reality and find something to do that's real. Physically, with friends or yourself. Outdoors. I've seen it, it's real, and it's a marvelous place.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 8:37pm

Post #14 of 20 (249 views)
Shortcut
The shining face, it burns us. [In reply to] Can't Post

Give us nice computer, keep nassssty outdoors.

(Actually, I love the outdoors and I get some outdoor exercise every day it's not raining.)

(But I had to say it.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26 2012, 8:56pm

Post #15 of 20 (255 views)
Shortcut
I'll admit [In reply to] Can't Post

when The Hobbit was finally green-lit and The Hobbit Discussion Board got active, I was overwhelmed. Still am. I really REALLY wanted to be in on everything there... but so much of it has been challenging for me, I've only been able to hang out here and there. Although, the excitement and passion that thrives there every day makes me smile. It's all great fun!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 9:05pm

Post #16 of 20 (224 views)
Shortcut
Whups, I think that should be "yellow face". [In reply to] Can't Post

So much for quoting from memory. Crazy

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 26 2012, 9:16pm

Post #17 of 20 (276 views)
Shortcut
It is tricky to interpret blog posts sometimes [In reply to] Can't Post

especially with regards to assumed emotional tone or intent. I think that this is an important thing to keep in mind in the blogsphere in general.

But in all honesty, TORn is hands-down the absolute most friendly and least unfriendly online community I have encountered thus far.

People may at times have heated arguments here, but those are almost always kept to the subject of TORn and differences in thinking about a topic but rarely personal in nature.

At least this has been my experience so far. I hope it continues! Cool

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 27 2012, 7:46pm

Post #18 of 20 (215 views)
Shortcut
We have one, kind of. [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like this in the subject line: *mods up* //

This refers to the old boards, which had a feature that let long-time users mod posts up or down (when it worked). Kind of like the "like" button in facebook. When we went to the new boards, that disappeared, but people still use the subject line to alert people to a really good posts that they might want to read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 8:02pm

Post #19 of 20 (248 views)
Shortcut
If you visit the other areas of TORn, [In reply to] Can't Post

the non-Hobbit-movie forums, you'll find people are friendly and pleasant.

There is a just an obnoxious minority in the movie threads who feel it is their place to shout down anyone whose opinion they don't like. Apparently they think they need to bully other people into conforming to their views. Unimpressed

They are very much the minority, however. Most people TORn are able to have civil conversations, even when they strongly disagree.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 28 2012, 10:14pm

Post #20 of 20 (357 views)
Shortcut
Many apologies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll freely admit I've played my own part in this mess of late. Typically, I like to be respectful of other people's views and opinions of things and not let those opinions get to me in a negative way. I fear lately I've become a bit overzealous, however, in defending the LotR film adaptations against certain posters who may have been stating opposing views. My love of the trilogy has made this a very tempting thing to engage in, and I'm not particularly proud of myself. Everyone has the right to feel the way they feel, and it's not my place to try and convince them otherwise. Normally I'm quite good about this, but lately I feel like I've let my passions get the better of me.

This is overwhelmingly the most friendly board I've ever had the pleasure of frequenting, and that's been true since I started lurking back some ten years ago. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Sincerely,

Aragorn the Elfstone

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 28 2012, 10:16pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.